Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • How do I get up to the gutter to repair it?
  • clubber
    Free Member

Something up on my roof by the gutter isn't quite right – I can't really see from the garden but I think that there's maybe some of the roof lining sticking out/into the gutter – meaning that water drips off the bottom of the gutter onto the wall directly beneath it – I'm concerned that this may eventually lead to water coming through the wall as I can see a sort of damp outline (outside the house) after it's rained.

So, can I get up there to fix it? the arrow in the pic below shows where the leaking section is – I could easily enough get up on the lower roofed section at the left but I've no idea how strong that sort of thing is – I don't really fancy putting a foot through it 🙂

Any suggestions? (Yes, I'll get a professional in if it needs it but since I'm pretty sure it'll be a simple fix I'd rather do it myself if possible).

GrahamS

Out the skylight in loft, rope around the chimney stack base and through a climbing harness?

Drac

Swing really fast on the swing and then let go launching self into the air.

clubber
    Free Member

Thanks 🙂 No skylight unfortunately – think that at the top of the pic is a shadow from the chimney…

The swing isn't there – the pic was from when we bought the house about four years ago.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Reckon the roof would hold, just put something on it 1st to spread your weight

GrahamS

Well ladder up the side that doesn't have extension. Lasso the chimney stack to secure a safety line, attach to climbing harness and tackle the traverse to the offending gutter.

Or just call a "Bloke in a van" type service and let some enthusiastic young Polish guy risk his neck while you have a brew. 😀

ivantate
    Free Member

Ladder and get a really fat mate to hold the bottom of it. Afterall there isnt far to slide anyway, just onto the lower roof.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Stilts. Very long stilts

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Don't your window cleaners stand on extensions roof ? Do the same but just be careful.

llama

Just to check it out, I would walk on the roof of the extension bit where the back door is. Support your weight with a ladder horizontally across the top – tie it through the windows to stop it slipping down. Tie a plank over the ladder rungs.

But if it neads serious work I would use a scaffold.

clubber
    Free Member

Window cleaner? Do you think I'm posh or something? I clean the windows! 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Normal sized people would be ok on that roof clubber, but you'll plummet through, leaving just your head poking out of the hole.

HTH. 😛

clubber
    Free Member

Would I still be able to reach the gutter then?

TooTall
    Free Member

Rope strung between windows. Small trampoline in garden. Bounce up and balance on rope to inspect gutter.

Do we have to think of everything for you?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

You have a trampoline no? Throw wife, son or both on trampoline land on roof, they fix guttering.

You go for pint.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Well, you'd be able to put a ladder in the hole then no? 😉

gravitysucks
    Free Member

if your really concerned jump up and down on next doors extension 1st to gauge how strong it is

clubber
    Free Member

TooTall's winning so far 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

didn't the blokes who tiled the extension roof stand on it?

Rio

You just need one of these.

clubber
    Free Member

iDave – no idea. Like I said, I suspect that it'd be fine to stand on it but would rather know that typically people do it and it is fine before giving it a go 🙂

Rio – got one going spare?

mos

you'll be fine on the roof as long as you put something on to spread your weight. The structure should be plenty strong enough, but the individual tiles may not.

Craggyjim
    Free Member

Have you got someone who can drive a car for you? If so, just get a long rope and throw it over the house. Hitch it to the car and tie yourself on the other end. Drive the car away et voila.

clubber
    Free Member

Craggyjim is now in the lead 🙂

Mos – thanks – suggestions on what to use though – a sheet of wood/etc would just slide down I reckon which would be even more comedy (not for me, mind) than if I put my foot through the roof…

gixer-chris
    Free Member

You wont go through the roof – they're made to hold certain weight loads, like snow etc.

Just getting up there will be a PITA, so I suggest lots of Red Bull 'cos it gives you wiiiiiiiings!

Plus if you have enough you wont feel the impact when you fall off 😆

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Stand on the end of Giles's bars, turn the steering 90 degrees, you should be about the right height to step on to the roof.

TooTall
    Free Member

You're a 29er rider now. Just wheelie and put the power down – that extension is barely a pothole to the big wheels. Turn as you do so and track stand on the extension roof. The extra grip you get from the bigger contact patch will spread the weight and keep you there while you check things out. Then a cheeky bunny hop and you're back on terra firma. Use a helmet cam at the same time so you can view the detail at a later date.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Lay a scaffold board on the extension's roof tiles to spread you weight. The extension roof is at the level of the bedroom windows, so I doubt if you will need ladder (unless you are 5ft tall).

To stop the board slipping on the pitched roof, put a couple of beefy screws in the board and attach some adequate nylon rope. Better still, drill holes in the board.

Haul it up the pitch until it's parallel and a foot or two from the bedroom wall.

Feed these ropes, one through each bedroom window.

Tie the ends to a couple of lengths of timber too wide to pull through the openings and so they are held fast. Wrap something round these to protect your internal decor.

Then step out carefully and sort it out.

Guttering is cheap as chips and use a large trowel to lift tiles so you can see under them to check the felt etc.

Roofing work is pretty easy when you have gained access.

Make sure nobody is below you and breakables are out of the way.

If you are feeling worried about the unlikely event of falling off your shallow pitched roof, tie yourself to one of the internal anchor boards before you step out. Use enough rope to do your work, but keep it short enough to stop you falling off.

Also, move anything below the roof that could do you a nasty if you did fall.

A professional roofer would just step out of the window, no board, no harness, but they are used to chancing it and have the right footwear.

clubber
    Free Member

Good points KT and TooTall.

Giles managed to hit a tree the other night in LW – serves him right 😉

(My 27" bars are on order but the hacksaw's prep'd and ready…)

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Good points KT and TooTall.

Giles managed to hit a tree the other night in LW – serves him right

(My 27" bars are on order but the hacksaw's prep'd and ready…)

TBH with bars that wide he could hit lamp posts.

TooTall
    Free Member

clubber – I thought you were a narrow bar retro jeyboy? The 30" bars on my ScandAL were OK in LW last week. You just have to work a wee bit harder in places!

donsimon
    Free Member

The roof of the extension should hold your weight.

[sensible answer]If you're not confident with that you could try steps and stages to give a more stable base to work from or even put a second set of steps[/sensible answer]

clubber
    Free Member

Spongebob – perfect – thanks a lot for that.

clubber
    Free Member

I hate wide bars but I do ride 25-26" by preference which is wider than the 24" ones (less about an inch for bar ends) that I have currently.

avdave2

Screw some old spd pedals to a couple of boards and then clip in. No need then to secure a plank and could also be useful if we get a lot of snow again this winter.

sweepy
    Free Member

You'd have to work hard to fall off that. I'd just go up and do it. Particularly if I had house insurance.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Could you stand on that red arrow thing between the two windows? Looks ideal…

KINGTUT
    Free Member

You'd have to work hard to fall off that

It's that kind of attitude that made Emu an Orphan.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It's that kind of attitude that made Emu an Orphan.

LMFAO!!!

How about a small scaffold rig to get up the extension height, then a short ladder (tied well to the rig) to the roof line.

sweepy
    Free Member

😆

to be fair tho, if he'd been able to hold on properly rather than having to work the bird he might be with us today.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘How do I get up to the gutter to repair it?’ is closed to new replies.