Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • How do I get this frame bolt out??
  • Skyliner
    Free Member

Finally got round to stripping the frame down for new bearings and found this. Previous owner has rounded one of the shock rocker bolts 😥 The other side was tough to get out so whatever happens here will have to be a one try only affair. Thought about a torx key or perhaps even cutting a crosshed (I have a dremel too). Please help????

z1ppy

Do the two bolts not interconnect? As in, the bolt your removed, screws into the one that rounded? If so, screw it in again, a good couple of threads & give it a love nudge with a mallet. That should push out the stuck bolt. You still need to sort out a long term solution, but at least you can move on in the mean time

Skyliner
    Free Member

Both sides are seperate i’m afraid.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rickos
    Free Member

Screw extractor will do that. It goes in your drill and has a coarse thread that runs the wrong way. So you stick it in the Allen key hole and it will grip the walls and extract the bolt. You’ll need a new one after, but sounds like you would do that anyway.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/screw-extractor-5-piece-set/18643

RustyMac

Get a slightly larger Torx key and bash it into the soft alloy. You may get lucky and find that a T25 (same size as disk bolts) will fit and you can have it sorted in no time.

gee
    Free Member

Hammer and torx wrench works for me on that sort of thing – only tried it on much smaller bolts though eg brake lever reach adjusters.

Then the reverse thread thing ^^^

Skyliner
    Free Member

The T25 torx I have is too small so i’ll try and borrow a mates one. Rickos at £3.29 thats well worth a try cheers.

Neil-F
    Free Member

Try blu-tac on the end of the allen key, and force the key into the bolt. Seriously.
    I did this with a rounded wheelnut on a car, I read it on a car forum and it actually worked. You could also try gluing an allen key in with JB weld or Ardalite or suchlike.

murf
    Free Member

File 2 flat bits into opposing sides of the outer edge and get some big grips onto it. After trying all the above suggestions!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘How do I get this frame bolt out??’ is closed to new replies.