Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • How do I get inside the Rock Shox damper to tighten the poploc spring?
  • dickie
    Free Member

Does anyone know if its possible to get inside the Rock Shox damper on Reba’s so I can tighten the spring for the poploc?
    Despite new cables & cleaning the return force is very poor.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I was advised and also thought the spring mech had either died or was gummed up. You have to take the whole fort apart IIRC 🙁 I was just going to send it for a service anyway and get it all done in one swoop 🙂

flamejob
    Free Member

If it is a motion control damper then you can push the plastic tabs in the bottom inwards and it will pop out. It is held in with one way plastic barbs.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I doubt you’ll get the MC unit apart. The spring is inside this.

If you’ve put a new cable in, it’s most likely that the pulley on the top if the fork leg has crap under it. Take the pulley off, clean, lube, refit.

Also, if it’s the plastic Poploc lever, I reckon they wear a bit and this makes them less smooth

foxyrider
    Free Member

As I have said Dickie I expect if its a couple of years old (and you have removed the cables and cleaned under the pulley like PP mentioned its prob the MC unit inside the fork. You’ll have to take it all apart. In my case its my mates forks and I advised him to send it to Loco Tuning for a full service as Simon said this would include sorting the MC unit out 🙂

PJay
    Free Member

As far as I remember once you’ve got the Motion Control cylinder out is will unscrew from the cap in the opposite direction to normal threads (losens to the right I think) but once the cyclinder is unscrewed the spring will lose its tension; getting everything back together and working can be a faff!

Like others have said, I’d concentrate on cleaning up under the rebound damping knob.

LoCo
    Free Member

Hi you can get the unit apart have a look at the link below, the spring will be situated half way down the silver shaft and half wy down the MoCo unit itself, the spring may have lost tension and need replacing but you could try putting another turn on it if the ends will stay in the mounting holes.
    Alternativly you could convert it to corwn top adjustment with a kit.
    That or I can do a full service on them sorting all issues out in the process 😉

glenh
    Free Member

Easy. Whip the moco compression damper out and unscrew the top from it (reverse thread). You can add and extra turn to the spring to make it return better, although it can be tricky to get the top cap of the damper back on straight (be careful not to cross thread) when you’ve done this, as the spring tends to pull the rod to one side.

LoCo
    Free Member
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘How do I get inside the Rock Shox damper to tighten the poploc spring?’ is closed to new replies.