• This topic has 31 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by colp.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • How do I get fence panels home?
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I drive a focus and I only need 3 panels, everywhere near me is charging £30 for delivery, what the hell do I do?

bearnecessities

Why don’t you buy the posts, gravel boards and fencing at once – probably get free delivery then 🙂

craigxxl
    Free Member

Pay them, hire a van, buy a roof rack and hope it’s not too windy, find a friend with a van. Any that I’ve missed?

binners

Sell your Focus.
    Buy a transit.
    Go and pick them up

km79
    Free Member

Pull them apart to fit in your car them reassemble them when you get home.

mtbfix

Buy twice as many 3′ panels?

wwaswas

Buy six 6×3 panels and stack them?

[edit] damn, by 2 seconds.

binners

Make your own

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

You know what, I’m quite happily feeling stupid now! That could work, although I’d need 1 6×2 as the side fence I’m repairing is 5ft.

DezB
    Free Member

I had the same, so shopped around online. Found a place that would deliver and the all-round cost was cheaper than all the DIY stores.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Pay the delivery charge.. No arsing about or waiting for a favour

rocketman
    Free Member

I drive a focus

Blanket on the roof, put panels on blanket, secure with rope through windows, drive home*

*regular occurence in Wolverhampton as is the aluminium-ladder-through-the-passenger-window-and-out-through-the-tailgate

No van no problem

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have carried them in many different ways but now just pay the £10 delivery charge.
    As mentioned above 2 x 3 foot panels can be a good idea. I was told by the fencing company they do it a lot in high wind areas because you get twice the amount of bracing as a single panel. But the price of a 3 foot is never normally far off the price of a 6 foot.

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

I’m guessing from your user name you’re in Leigh? If so try Langfords on Atherton Road in Hindley Green. I got some from them earlier this year. Best value around and they only charged £5 for delivery.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I’ve just seen that Andy, the smaller panels are only a quid or two cheaper than the big ‘uns.

I’m from Leigh, but live in Stockport, I’ll see if they can help though, cheers.

Harry_the_Spider

Use a ShrinkRay™

Or pay the £30.

jb72
    Free Member

Find a builders / timber yard rather than a diy place like Focus. You’ll probably pay less for the panels and delivery will be much cheaper.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

SOLD! Cheers mate!

McHamish
    Free Member

Forget the fence…dig a moat.

fooman

Getting it delivered is too sensible I was going to suggest the DIY approach.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Balance them on your head and cycle home. Blooming first world problems 🙄

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

yep shop online and you should be able to find a deal to include delivery either free or a lot less than alternatives.

enfht
    Free Member

Get your wife/girlfriend to carry them home on her back, job done.

bearnecessities

She might take a fence.

benp1

I put 3 of the heavier duty fence panels on my roof bars. They were a big of a pig to put on solo, 2 people would have been much easier. Was worried about scratching the car

So, roof bars

Blankets or something else soft (like those inflatable bars) will also work fine, but securing them might be tricky

colp

edit: Doh! Beaten to it by Bear!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Wait for a really windy day and chuck them in the direction of you house. Should only take a couple of goes I reckon. 😆

chip
    Free Member

I took six six foot panels home on my roof rack.
    The bloke at the yard loaded all six on with a fork lift.

66deg
    Free Member

Lots of carrier pigeons(homing type obvs)

African or European and pannel sizes TBA.

digga
    Free Member

Fence panels, on a roof rack, in November gales. What could possibly go wrong? Getting them delivered was certainly the right choice.

I sometimes think we’ve all been spoiled with “FREE DELIVERY” on online shops but the truth is, there’s no such thing as a free lunch and delivery costs, especially for heavy or bulky items.

colp

Just put them in the post.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘How do I get fence panels home?’ is closed to new replies.