Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How do I get a small riveting job done?
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve got a ski binding/boot (pic attached) which is currently articulated (new school) and I don’t get on with it. I can’t sell it on as the chances of a left footer size 8 skier looking on ebay is pretty slim.

I’ve been sitting on it for a few years. So, now I want to try have it fixed into a set position (old school). My current idea is to get it riveted in position, about 2cm above the existing pivot. I’ve got no idea where to go to get a small riveting job done, any ideas?

newrobdob
    Free Member

Pop rivet and gun. Fairly cheap. Most garages will have a tool I would have thought.

T1000
    Free Member

use flanged button head bolts instead with the bolt heads inside (M6 or M8)
    you could glue or weld the plastic as well to ad more strength. (depends on the type of plastic something like the glue for pipe fitting might work)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Ah cheers, hadn’t considered glue as well and hadn’t seen that particular bolt which might probably do the trick.

TheDTs
    Free Member

I presume this is water skiing..?
    A FLAT aluminium bar fixed up the back would probably be stronger than trying to stop the flex by rivets near the pivot.
    I don’t expect pvc glue will do the trick, I expect its made from abs.
    EDIT, is that you in the background.?

slowoldman

I presume this is water skiing..?

Ah that explains my confusion regarding all those holes.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Some sort of bar up the back was my first plan but it’s not straightfoward and could interfere with the snow ski style release at the heal. I also thought it might bend.
    Yes slalom water ski

T1000
    Free Member

Thedts solvent glued pipe systems are often Abs

TheDTs
    Free Member

Presumed uPVC waste type..
    how much space inside? Could a bar / plate fit up the back inside

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

how much space inside? Could a bar / plate fit up the back inside

It clamps tight like a snow ski boot, so my guess is that it would probably be unpleasant with a bar and bolt/rivet heads, but I don’t know for sure as there is a material boot liner you wear as well. i also had concerns about it interfering with the release mech, but also my delicate fleshy heal being a thin material liners width away from a metal bar that may or may not do something unexpected, and it might just be unbearably uncomfortable anyway. Hense, looking at the other option of riveting elsewhere (or as T1000 suggests, Bolting).
    I really didn’t want to fork out for a new boot, but probably agree that a couple of bolts thru plastic probably aren’t going to hold.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How do I get a small riveting job done?’ is closed to new replies.