• This topic has 40 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Kuco.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • HOW do I become a Forum Expert?
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve been reading some stuff on the bike forum and some people really seem to know there onions about biking stuff.

They can tell you exactly what forks, tyres, frame size etc you should have based on what they like. They can say it with real conviction too… like the OP has never had any experience of riding themselves.

Now I’m used to the chat forum where everyone talks rubbish about everything but some of the ‘advice’ over there is simply amazing.

philconsequence
    Free Member

what FS bike should i buy yeti?

(you’ll always be my forum expert sweetcheeks)

afrothunder88

hilldodger
    Free Member

If you really want to work on your skilz I’d aim to be a “Big Hitter” rather than a “Forum Expert” 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

Ah, this one is easy. Whenever anyone asks for kit recommendations just tell them to buy whatever it is you own. Or just answer “orange 5” to all questions.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

There’s a bike forum.!!!?

oldgit
    Free Member

I know how he feels.

wwaswas

The first step is to have a capital letter only at the beginning of the first word of your thread title.

Junkyard
    Free Member

iDave
    Free Member

Do you really want to look like this????

jackthedog
    Free Member

You simply state your opinion as fact. It’s easy.

Orange Fives are filing cabinets, On Ones are gas pipe, Thomson seat posts make girls pregnant from 40 paces and the Charge Spoon is the only saddle ever made.

See.

D0NK

love that pic oldgit!

philconsequence
    Free Member

policemen were taller back in them days!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I am serious, I have been on the Bike Forum.

How many weeks of the iDiet does it take to look like that.

Is that what everyone does overthere then, state opinion as FACT. Don’t people realise that others might go out and spend there cash based on these opinons. Half of it seems regurgitated from a biased magazine article, or just an attempt to justify their own poor purchasing skills.

johnners
    Free Member

regurgitated from a biased magazine article, or just an attempt to justify their own poor purchasing skills

There you go, answering your own question.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Don’t people realise that others might go out and spend there cash based on these opinons

That’s what makes it fun 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member
    Is that what everyone does overthere then, state opinion as FACT. Don’t people realise that others might go out and spend there cash based on these opinons. Half of it seems regurgitated from a biased magazine article, or just an attempt to justify their own poor purchasing skills.

You see why some of us get so angry and need to BATTLE?

jackthedog
    Free Member

Half of it seems regurgitated from a biased magazine article

It is. Nobody (except Ton) can buy and experience everything ever made to be able to compare fairly, so they either just say what the magazines say, or claim that their bike am best than any other. Which is quiet fair if you think about it, as the one they own has provided them with infinity percent more fun than all the ones they’ve never ridden.

So it’s an educated opinion. Sort of.

Anyway, it’s a Five AM with a Bullet swingarm you want, with Talas U Turns up front, Maxle headtube and Thomson hubs. In case you were asking.

Cougar

policemen were taller back in them days!

No, they were just closer.

DaRC_L

TSY isn’t a forum expert 😯

randomjeremy
    Free Member

You need to be aware of a few things if you want to be an Expert:

1: Know your tyres. At least five different sets of tyres for the wildly different conditions present in the UK. Using the wrong tyres can be fatal.

2: Lube. You must know about lube. GT85 is not lube, WD40 is not lube. There are specific lubes for specific weather conditions, heaven help you if you use the wrong lube. It doesn’t matter that your chain will get covered in crap within 5 minutes; you must use the right lube.

3a: However much travel you have on your bike is the most travel anyone could ever need, even if it is a hardtail / rigid.

3b: Laugh in the face of physics. There’s no way anyone could want or need more than 160/160 brakes. Steve Peat rides 140/140, conversation over.

4: The wise and prudent man fashions a mudguard for his £3000 bike out of an old coke bottle or innertube.

5: You are only allowed to have a strong opinion about Orange bikes if you’ve never owned one.

6: Learn and understand these terms: Power Ranger (anyone who wears more armour than you) , Skills Compensator (any bike with more suspension or generally better components than your bike), Ego Chariot (owned exclusively by middle aged IT consultants to show how much money they have)

7: Make sure you overtake other riders at all costs, then come to the forum and boast about how you “dropped a Power Ranger on a Skills Compensator” (see above). Do this even though they probably didn’t know they were racing you; a win is a win, and you are a winner.

8: Brake jack totally exists and you totally understand it; everyone needs next year’s 20-link VPP DW exo-link multi-point super pivot technology. It really makes a difference when you’re bumbling along the canal or trail, really it really does, honestly.

9: Never forget that biking is a very serious business.

10: At least it’s not BikeRadar though

philconsequence
    Free Member

well said RJ! 😆

Cougar

[Cougar likes this.]

RealMan
    Free Member

10: At least it’s not BikeRadar though

😀

binners

You just recommend the stuff that you really really want, the more expensive the better, with complete disregard for what their actual needs are! With any luck, they’ll buy it and instantly hate it, then place it straight on to the classifieds, where you lie in wait to snaffle a bargain!

It’s just an online version of what I’ve been doing to hora darn the pub for years 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ctrl C, Ctrl V

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What’s Bike Radar?

Sadly Darc I am not, nor am I a Big Hitter, or a Moderator. But we all need dreams.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

You simply state your opinion as fact. It’s easy.

You also need to add a certain indisputable word to the end of the post. FACT.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

If you’re really, really going out on a limb… I believe you put..

End of thread.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

TSY. I thought you were the forum Philandering expert. Why worry about ” what tires for xxx” when there are ladies to chase 🙂

wwaswas

why not combine your love of philandery and bicycles?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

You could argue that it is less harmful than the life advice given in this forum by a bunch of people with limited professional or financial success, so few real friends that they spend their spare time here and so ugly and charmless that they have never had any relationship dilemmas. 😉

alpin
    Free Member

uphillcursing – Member

TSY. I thought you were the forum Philandering expert. Why worry about ” what tires for xxx” when there are ladies to chase

i (honestly) thought TSY was one of them….. ladies, that is. not a Philandering expert.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Forget it. You’re just not cut out for it.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

muppetWrangler – I you saying that a lady can’t be an expert? 😕

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There are no experts. Only wannabes. Fact.

higthepig
    Free Member

Post dismissive comment on the following:
    length of grass,
    how much the fence needs painting,
    tyre logo/valve/crank alignment,
    number of spacers,
    cable/hose length,
    colour combinations
    etc, etc, etc

FACT

donsimon
    Free Member

HOW do I become a Forum Expert?

YOU really don’t have any ambitions, do you? I suppose if you aim low enough there is less chance of failing…

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

“If you really want to work on your skilz I’d aim to be a “Big Hitter” rather than a “Forum Expert”

I just read that as “Big Hitler”. What a beautiful (if ever so slightly right wing) thought… 😯

avdave2

When you were 15 did you hang around with 10 year olds because they were the only people you could impress? Yes, excellent you too can be a forum expert.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘HOW do I become a Forum Expert?’ is closed to new replies.