Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • how do i adjust my front mech
  • milkyman
    Free Member

I have got a 2 x 10 set up and it not shifting down to the small ring, its all fairly new so I just think it needs some adjusting, I have tried using the barrel adjusters but that didn’t work, its an slx mech and its got 2 small screws on it marked H & L, so I guess I have to adjust one of these but not sure which one or which way to turn it

thanks in advance
    craig

deadkenny
    Free Member

H & L = High and Low. They’re the stop screws to stop the chain falling off either side. One for high gear (big ring), one for low (small ring).

Barrel adjuster is your indexing, and that will affect the shifting up and down.

Set H & L first so that the cage on either position will not allow the chain to drop off the side. It could be you’ve got them stopping it dropping off one of the rings or shifting up. Once set, leave these alone. They aren’t to do with shifting, just sets the limits.

Then crank the pedals, try to shift and adjust barrel adjuster if it’s struggling. Small turns either way until it seems to make a difference.

garage-dweller

Try winding out / unscrewing the L one quarter turn at a time. make sure you don’t have to much cable tension on until it shifts right then add cable tension until the upshift works.

theotherjonv

What part number is it.

Then go here

http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/index.jsp

find the instructions and follow them.

I’ve done dozens in my time but recently found out that the ‘old’ way of trimming the H-L screws and the cable tension had been changed (maybe with the advent of doubles) and the new way was so much more reliable.

milkyman
    Free Member

thank you, will go and give it a try

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘how do i adjust my front mech’ is closed to new replies.