Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • How do Crossmarks compare to Ardents?
  • scotabroad

The Ardents that I am after seem to be out of stock (on CRC at least) and was looking at the crossmarks as an alternative for a rear tyre replacement.

Has anyone on here ridden both and what would you say was the difference? I was thinking of have a crossmark on the back and a high roller on the front to keep front end grip up. I am not too fussed about the back end being loose if it rolls fast, and its not that often I ride in mud so I am not worried about mud performance.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I run an Ardent on the front and a Crossmark on the rear of both my Hardtails Stu, pretty spot on combination for the summer in my opinion..

Crossmark nowhere near as “Gnar” but spot on for a rear..

hughjengin
    Free Member

Nextdaytyres are about as good as you’ll get for stock and service for Maxxis and other brands, so if you are dead set on a certain tyre then look at them.
    I run a 2.1 62a exception Crossmark on the back of my race bike, and its a very fast tyre. Just a bit fragile in the exception series carcass for anything rocky. I split the carcass on two of them when I stupidly took the race bike to the Marin trail. If you buy a crossmark with the marginally heavier but tougher casing, then it’ll be a great dry weather fast tyre

scotabroad

Thanks for the tips guys, I am a heavyweight and hard on side walls so I have learned the hard way not to get the lightweight versions

Cheers

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Stu,

I’m no jeywheight, as well you know…

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I have a 2.2 crossmark as a rear tyre, with a highroller on the front. I Have been pleasantly surprised by the performance of the crossmark in seemingly unsuitable conditions. Even in sticky mud it works ok, gripping about as badly as the highroller, but clogging up less and clearing faster.

I was thinking about replacing the HR with an ardent when it wears out, but i dont ride enough to wear them out 🙂

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Justridingalong have a sale on Maxxis at the mo’.

Still not as cheap as On One’s Schwalbes though.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Just noticed I’ve split the sidewall on my crossmark 2.2; what’s the advantage like as a rear tyre?

scotabroad

Advantage is a good general purpose tyre, not as fastrolling as an Ardent so I assume less fast rolling than a crossmark. Will have better grip in damper considitions though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘How do Crossmarks compare to Ardents?’ is closed to new replies.