Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • how do companies get away with selling this for £1k
  • pjbarton
    Free Member
    falkirk-mark

I would assume there is one 9 too many

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Bargain.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i would very much hope that it is one 9 to many

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I thoughts so too Falkirk mark but looking at their website there are a good few bikes horrendously overpriced

nbt

Dear christ

Delivery takes around 4 weeks at the moment – sorry about this!

We do not offer warranties on this item.

and most worrying (my bold)

More than 10 available / 137 sold

Trimix
    Free Member

Does come with a sidestand though, maybe thats why its expensive. Perhaps its made of unobtanium or expensotanium ?

MSP

Overpriced tat on ebay shocker!

Milkie
    Free Member

People who wash their money do their laundry in a funny way 😉

…possibly?

CaptJon
    Free Member

100% feedback!?

K

The old feed back for the bikes shows them with one less digit on the price.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Looking at the other items they have for sale, that price isnt a typo, as there is lots of other crap for sale at similar prices.
    Even if they sell one at those prices they’ve paid for all their stock. Sadly a fool and their money are easily parted.

madhouse

Caveat Emptor and all that.

neninja
    Free Member

They were selling them for £119.95 last year so I suspect they’ve put that price on as they are waiting for stock and didn’t want to have to end the listing. Instead they’ve bumped the price up so no-one buys one and will change it back when they have stock. Just my guess.

binners

My dads mate went on a tour of one of the mahoosive Chinese factories that made bike-shaped objects. He was quoted a price of $20 (that’s $, not £), delivered to the UK, for each BSO

spacemonkey

That really is ripping the piss. I hope they get investigated.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

could get a second hand Orange Five for that sort of wonga..

Trimix
    Free Member

Spacemonkey, why do they need investigating ?

If you dont like the price dont buy it.

If your stupid enough to pay over the odds because you are too stupid/lazy to look for other prices thats not the sellers problem.

If people are buying stuff on ebay they already know how to use the internet, so they are a few clicks from a whole world of prices.

Gibbysrabbit
    Free Member

I don’t see the problem, they clearly spend alot of money on professional photoshopping.

mrchrist

If you dont like the price dont buy it.

Yep agree. That’s like a basic rule of life, shop around FFS!

spacemonkey

Spacemonkey, why do they need investigating ?

Erm, they’re quite clearly ripping people off – or at the very least, trying it on. Sure, you can argue that people should look around and not be so stupid as to hit Buy It Now or whatever. But to offer a piece of shit like that with no warranty etc – IMO that’s just plain wrong.

dabble
    Free Member

Listen to the Jeremy Vine show right now n you’ll hear what plain wrong is.

maccruiskeen

Its terrible value, but there is nothing to investigate, they’re not passing the bike off as something its not, they are just charging a very high price for it. Its boggling considering what they’ve sold the same bikes for in the past and it makes you wonder what their motive is.

was
    Free Member

They were selling them for £119.95 last year so I suspect they’ve put that price on as they are waiting for stock and didn’t want to have to end the listing. Instead they’ve bumped the price up so no-one buys one and will change it back when they have stock. Just my guess.

This

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Orange Five frames sell for more than that there doensn’t seem to be any difference between the frames. Plus you get a full bike, and not just the frame. Bargain.

cookeaa

Orange Five frames sell for more than that there doensn’t seem to be any difference between the frames. Plus you get a full bike, and not just the frame. Bargain.

Yeah but it a Raw materials and labout cost thing woth Orange innit: Filing cabinets and whippets cost a fair bit these days…

Crikey people do get rather worked up don’t they…

They’re pretty up front about it I’d say, I think anyone who can’t fathom the fact that its a deliberately unrealistic place holder price for a BSO probably deserves to get ripped off…

scaredypants

free delivery – does that count for nothing with you people 🙄

cookeaa

I think it’s time for some Trueisms, most of the following are applicable I think:

“A fool and their money are easily parted”
    “Some people know the price of everything but the value of nothing”
    “Never look a gift horse in the mouth”
    “a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush”
    “People in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones”
    “You can take a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink”
    “No means No”
    “Only Nixon could go to China”
    “Never work with children or animals”
    “Love thy neighbor – but don’t get caught”
    “An Audi with a Five on the roof is functionally no better to a Skoda with a Boardman in the boot”

jmenorton
    Free Member

They most likely dont want people buying it for that price, stock issues or some sort of fault with the product, would be suprised if they even accepted the listed price, just because there selling shite bikes doenst mean there scumbags. Ive bought things before, only to be informed of a faulty batch, refunded and then the price sky rockets to disuade other buyers. Nothing sinister just probably less hassle than taking down the listings.

maccruiskeen

They most likely dont want people buying it for that price, stock issues or some sort of fault with the product, would be suprised if they even accepted the listed price, just because there selling shite bikes doenst mean there scumbags. Ive bought things before, only to be informed of a faulty batch, refunded and then the price sky rockets to disuade other buyers. Nothing sinister just probably less hassle than taking down the listings

I thought rather than speculate I’d email them and ask – and its exactly that – they don’t have any stock so its priced is deliberately not to sell until thats resolved.

mrchrist

Has anybody brought one of those awesome bikes advertised on this very site by sports direct?

cookeaa

“Know thine Enemy”
    “Opposites attract”
    “What goes around comes around”
    “What goes up must come down”
    “Actions speak louder than words”
    “Some people are never satisfied”
    “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”
    “A coward dies a thousand deaths, a brave man dies but once”
    “A job worth doing, is worth doing well”
    “A lie, told often enough, becomes the truth”
    “A little knowledge is a dangerous thing”
    “A man’s home is his castle”
    “A picture’s worth a thousand words”
    “A stranger’s just a friend you’ve never met”
    “A woman’s work is never done”
    “Absence makes the heart grow fonder”
    “Age before beauty”
    “All things in moderation”
    “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy”
    “One person’s trash is another person’s treasure”
    “To have an STW Forum account, is to loose all sense of proportion”

jmenorton
    Free Member

My sister got my niece one for crimbo, (i didnt condone it). Brought it to me to build up, bits missing, bits snapped, threads destroyed, i didnt even get to trying to sort the gears, gave up sent back.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

No way is that a rip off. Unlike some of the other shameful big brands, that bike is made out of solid steel bar. I bought a bike last week and was horrified to find that they had severely cut corners on material and it was actually hollow!!! You could tell by tapping on the top tube…

shotsaway
    Free Member

It’s steel, so it must be as good as a Cotic/Ragley/On One etc 😉

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

just bought a BFe and I’m spending more than 1k on it. I’m not even getting dual suspension!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘how do companies get away with selling this for £1k’ is closed to new replies.