• This topic has 78 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by lerk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • How do business men stay looking smart?
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

I just put on my £1700 suit and will I admit I looked pretty smart. For about 20 minutes. Now I look like a bag of rags as normal.
    How do business men stay looking smart? Multiple changes of clothes through the day?

bruneep

😯

Are you leasing it?

Rubber_Buccaneer

They don’t do whatever it was you did in the last 20 mins. What were you doing?

scotroutes

You missed your decimal point. You mean your £17.00 suit from Aldi?

andysredmini
    Free Member

I bought it when I had a high paid job. I haven’t worn it for 8 years when I had my last interview. It has emerged today for a funeral. All I have done so far is drive to the after venue to drop a car off.

jemima
    Free Member

Some people seem to be able to maintain smart effortlessly throughout the day. I can look smart for about 5 minutes and then this quickly degrades to barely presentable. I do not know why.

northernmatt

No idea. Maybe it’s an inbuilt thing. I have just put my suit on for the same reason as you and I look like a tramp already.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I feel a million dollars when I put it on but I’m glad I don’t have to wear one anymore. I’m happier with dirt under my fingernails wearing my scruffs.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Are you the same shape as you were 8 years ago?

Have you worn it for 8 years?

andysredmini
    Free Member

Still fits really well after losing 1.5 stone in the last couple of months.

mefty
    Free Member

A lot of off the peg big name designer expensive suits are made from very lightweight expensive clothes by so so cutters, which don’t seem to bear up to travelling very well. You have more chance of staying smart in a well cut suit.

stumpy01

Some suits stay looking ‘fresh’ much better than others. Certain materials look creased & knackered in minutes, whereas others look good having been worn all day.

Perhaps the material your posh suit is made from isn’t very ‘forgiving’ in that regard.

I’ve got a French Connection suit that cost me about £180 & it never ceases to amaze me how well it copes with being worn for a whole day – not that it comes out very often!

bearnecessities

I feel a million dollars when I put it

It’s not that far off! Canali?

scuttler

bearnecessities

10 points to who can spot what’s wrong with that picture.

scaredypants

Are you leasing it?

no, you really can get suits that cheap

andysredmini
    Free Member

I didn’t expect sensible answers! It’s definitely not the suit. That still looks good. It’s just me.
    On the scale of expensive suits mine is on the cheap side compared with some of the others available when I bought one.

aP
    Free Member

White socks and loafers?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Don’t drive in it. Suits only hang properly if you’ve not sat in them, that’s why you see reps hanging their suit jackets on hangers in the back of the car. When I drove a lot with work but had to look smart at the customer, I’d buy an extra pair of trousers with every suit, still wasn’t enough to get enough wear out of the jacket before the trousers were shagged. Politicians and businessmen can wear suits as they stand around all day doing naff all.

mefty
    Free Member

Suits don’t look good based on cost, it is all about cut, I have seen loads of people who have spent fortunes on suits and they look rubbish because they have not been tailored for them.

globalti
    Free Member

No, cut matters but the cloth is more important. Some crease easily and take up the shape of the wearer and some don’t. The answer is to have three or four suits and rotate them, same as good leather shoes, which you should never wear continuously.

jemima
    Free Member

10 points to who can spot what’s wrong with that picture

There are at least 4 different but equally intense suns

scaredypants

10 points to who can spot what’s wrong with that picture

There are at least 4 different but equally intense suns [/quote]

and he’s wearing his dad’s suit

jimdubleyou

Has the suit got any linen in it? Linen suits are supposed to look creased 😛

jemima
    Free Member

Despite having my own suit which fits really rather well I still feel like I’m wearing my dad’s suit when I have to put it on… just feels like I’m still playing at being a grown up… maybe that’s why I feel scruffy all the time…

Xylene
    Free Member

Only suits that ever look right on me are the ones that are bespoke, anything off the shelf looks as if I am wearing a potato sack.

Now issues I have found with bespoke suits is, go to the gyme, gain a bit of bulk, now they don’t fit properly.

GO to the gym gain a bit of bulk and don’t burn off fat – hmmm, now you look like a fat **** in a suit

ScottChegg
    Free Member

what’s wrong with that picture.

Do you mean the continuity mark on the floor?

Or his shoe/sock combo?

toby1

I just put on my £1700 suit

Gold leaf creases easily, well at least that’s what I hope it’s made out of for that price!

I had a Hugo Boss suit, bought half price in a sale, it pretty much always looked good, till I caught the pocket of the trousers on a seat arm and ripped the buggers!

slowoldman

He certainly shouldn’t wearing that jacket, it doesn’t do him any favours at all. Trousers too baggy, white socks and loafers and previously mentioned. All in all looks like he wasn’t at home when he dressed this morning. Is he shagging the bosses wife and wearing his suit?

john_drummer
    Free Member

He’s got what appears to be lunch

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Lunch is for wimps?

TheFlyingOx

White socks and loafers?

There are at least 4 different but equally intense suns

and he’s wearing his dad’s suit

Do you mean the continuity mark on the floor?

Or his shoe/sock combo?

He’s got what appears to be lunch

[/quote]
    Good grief. Do you lot have no dignity? His bottom button is the only one done up. That’s the only one you’re not supposed to do up.

66deg
    Free Member

The thumb going around his hot beverage looks incredibly long.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Good grief. Do you lot have no dignity? His bottom button is the only one done up. That’s the only one you’re not supposed to do up.

Only on single breasted two button suits (the only suit a man should wear in the day). He’s wearing a single button double breasted jacket, much beloved of the red glasses and braces brigade in the eighties. I believe his Filofax is in the paper bag

Next you’ll be telling me that wing collars for black tie affairs is acceptable – back to prep school for you sir

Nico
    Free Member

There are different conventions on the planet Zorg, with it’s four suns.

M6TTF
    Free Member

he’s clearly not snorted enough coke

Kryton57

enfht
    Free Member

The one-legged purple jacket woman is falling backwards.

Leo is wearing the wrong clothes for Irish dancing.

The bank robber concealing a hand gun forgot his face mask.

The props guy forgot the flag’s stars.

Do I win a prize?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve had loads of suits in my time, from cheap supermarket ones to well, slightly more expensive ones, and they’ve all looked shit on me – I just don’t suit a suit.

Yeah you can get them to suit you perfectly and good tailors can even make your body look slightly differently shaped and all that, but I firmly believe if you don’t wear them with a certain sense of arrogant entitlement they just don’t work and I’m too much of an introvert for that – perhaps that’s going overboard, but you can ALWAYS tell when someone isn’t used to wearing one, they stand, slightly red faced with a look of “what the balls is all this fuss about” about them.

I’ve always, always hated the pointlessness of them, they’re not comfortable, they’re not practical, they serve no purpose – I was glad to give them up when I left the bank in 2009 and a few weddings and funerals aside, I’ve haven’t worn one since.

I was glad to see things were moving a bit in my old place when I walked by a few weeks ago, gone are the boring black and navy pinstripes, now it’s more trousers that seem to bridge the gap between suit trousers and jeans, patterned suits with no tie and brown shoes and belts.

TheFlyingOx

back to prep school for you sir

Ahem…
    Bloody philistine.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘How do business men stay looking smart?’ is closed to new replies.