Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • how difficult is skim boarding….
  • flip456
    Free Member

as title really, does anyone on here indulge in a little ‘skimming’? although it’s a completely different activity, as a seasoned 😉 snowboarder i have reasonable balance etc how quickly can you pick up the basics and can anyone recommend a board for a begineer.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I got alright at it. You pick it up fairly quickly and it’s pretty good fun but surfing is more exhilarating. I just got one of the cheapy ones for like £8 as it only gets used for 1 week a year and that worked fine. There’s no point in spending lots on one unles you get good at it and use it regularly (the same with anything really)

sambob
    Free Member

getonyourbike +1. Do you mean just skimming right next tot he beach on the flat bits of broken waves or going from the beach, out to a wave and back in again? If just the former, just find a cheap wooden board and cover it in wax.

jam-bo

Not difficult, but ever so slightly pointless.

MadBillMcMad

my young lad loves it.

I sink like a stone.

He’s light, I’m not.
    I reckon I need a skimming board the size of the titanic.

HansRey

there’s two styles. Ride it in the shallows and do tricks like a skate board.

or, get a nice, bouyant one (search Victoria skimboards) and session the waves and bigger stuff (ahem).

Doesn’t take too long to get the basics. I wore wetboots to improve grip, and obviously don’t wear a wetsuit because they can be very restrictive.

wwaswas

I fell off. A lot.

I take the same approach with mtb’s, though, so I may not be representative.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Nearly bought one don newquay last month, but decided running up & down the beach just to get 10seconds skimming wasn’t worth the effort – especially when there were lots of ladeez to ogle instead…

HansRey

http://www.eastcoastskimboards.com/Victoria-Skimboards_c_12.html

http://www.skimboards.co.uk/victoria-skimboards/

there’s a good store in La Rochelle, France with a good selection. I saw a gorgeous mahagony one. Only good for trick style and impressively b-e-a-u-tee-full

iDave
    Free Member

face plant city

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘how difficult is skim boarding….’ is closed to new replies.