Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • How did you propose?
  • brewking
    Free Member

I am finally going to give into pressure and ask her to marry me. Have a couple of ideas but was wondering how mad people will go?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Don’t give in to pressure. You should LOVE her!

Handsomedog
    Free Member

+1 to GG comment

Mine was very low key, Antibe harbour at sunset on holiday. We were utterly broke at the time so original ring was polished, twisted brake cable, inset with a polished ball bearing.

wwaswas

we were, errrmmm, horizontal at the time.

Moses

That’s strange,www, so was I. Are you my wife?

emaroid
    Free Member

I took the misses to Paris and had a meal in the Eiffel tower and proposed before dessert, cost a fortune but well worth it!

Definitely need to love her though, otherwise just buy yourself a nice bike instead… and get on a dating website.

duntstick
    Free Member

“Will you marry me” ought to do it, the rest is just BS

ononeorange

We had just ridden through a liquid sea of what I was certain was mud. It wasn’t. It was cow slurry. I think the question saved the day!

xcstu
    Free Member

🙂 went to cuba and proposed on an island off the main land… worth making the effort

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

My plan had been for us to go for a walk up bidean nam bian in the snow on new years day and me to propose at the top.

What happened was that we were in the pub watching Liverpool V Southampton on the 28th of December and at half time, my mate goes to the toilet and the now wife says to me “I think we should get married” to which I responded “OK then”. Mate came back from the toilet and I asked if he wanted to be my best man. Nine weeks later we were married.

willard

What GG said. Never give in to pressure. My first marriage failed for that reason (at least partially).

Other than that, I proposed on top of the Leaning Tower of Pisa. She only said yes so that I would let her leave!

wwaswas

Are you my wife?

“You’re my wife now”

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

In her mum and dads garage whilst fixing her bike. Ring was in a box in my toolbox. Had to ask her to get me the allen keys twice before she spotted it.

althepal

Top of the Empire State building, very top bit deserted apart from lift guy, got down on one knee and popped the question. Job done.

TooTall
    Free Member

Out mountain biking. Lovely day. Nobody else around (so I could abandon her in the middle of nowhere if she said no). On one knee. No ring (let her decide on that – you’ll never pick the right one). She wasn’t expecting it – made her cry and say yes.

molgrips
    Free Member

I am finally going to give into pressure and ask her to marry me.

Why can’t she ask you?

Don’t bother with the stupid expensive ‘romantic’ bs if I were you. The act itself is romantic, anything else is a distraction.

I proposed on MSN messenger 🙂

Ring was in a box in my toolbox. Had to ask her to get me the allen keys twice before she spotted it

This is classy though 🙂

Drac

I can’t honestly remember maybe didn’t propose as such just sort of discussed it. No need for all this fancy, “Oh I arranged the local 5 star Michellin restaurant to do us a table on a secluded beach at sunset, with the pianist playing our favourite tune whilst we gazed into each others eyes” she’s going to say the same either way. But if you want to make is special that’s up to you, needs to be your own ideas though.

It’s not of course that I did the romantic stuff the first time I got engaged before seeing sense and getting the hell out of there. Oh no not that at all.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

We were utterly broke at the time so original ring was polished, twisted brake cable, inset with a polished ball bearing.

(Sobs at the incredible romantic beauty of it all)

No seriously, that really is beautiful. Do you have any pics?

GrahamS

On a snowboarding holiday, at the top of the Hintertux Glacier overlooking the Austrian alps.
    Quite romantic, but it took me TWELVE years to do it so I’d picked my moment 😀
    (I used a substitute ring, in case I dropped it in the snow)

rocketman
    Free Member

Think we were out walking somewhere and she said ‘if we get married…’ and I said ‘yeah OK then’

And who says romance is dead eh?

steveoath
    Free Member

I bought her a diamond so she could pick the setting for it (cheaper that way too!) and gave it to her in a presentation box to which she asked “where’s the other one?” thinking it was a set of earrings! Once she’d twigged it was for an engagement ring it was all good. We get married a week on Friday 🙂

bent_udder
    Free Member

As above, best to pick the ring together. I had a pretty good idea of what Mrs Udder would have wanted (I was right, as it turned out), but didn’t want to get her something she’d be disappointed in.

I decided to ask her, and just pick the right moment. A nice long trip to Marrakesh contained no ‘right’ moments, and nor did going riding or walking on the North Downs. However, we were wandering around the local allotments and picked a bench to look at the view, and the time seemed right. We’ve been married since March.

My advice: if asking doesn’t seem like the right thing to do, don’t ask. You have to want to marry her, not feel like you’re under pressure to marry her.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

(Sobs at the incredible romantic beauty of it all)

No seriously, that really is beautiful. Do you have any pics?

No afraid not. She has it tucked away in a box somewhere. We picked a ring together once we had a bit of money. Getting married in August.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I just sent the cheque, and when I got the receipt, my heart leapt with joy as I knew she had said ‘Yes’

mtbmatt
    Free Member

On the finish line at Mountain Mayhem 2009 after winning the Solo race.
    If I hadn’t won she might still have been waiting 🙂

MrGrim

Slightly drunk one night during an eclipse (of the moon :D) in front of a log fire in a cottage in the Trossachs. Champagne hamper.

user-removed
    Free Member

I put the ring on the dog’s collar and we went off for a Wintery walk on the beach. I was a bit worried when the dog started leaping in and out of the waves and ramming his head down rabbit holes but the ring stayed put….

Gave her the box at the end of the beach – it had a dog biscuit inside! She was supposed to notice th ring on the collar when giving the dog the biscuit, but I had to ask, “Oh! What’s that on his collar?” before she noticed the ring.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

my ex asked me when we were out on the mtbs. We’d just said goodbye to some friends and stopped mid way down a descent to eat and he got down on one knee and proposed.

organic355
    Free Member

At the top of Ben Nevis!

Arranged to climb it 6 months earlier with some friends and thought it would be a good idea. Unfortunately after I had bought the ring it turned out our house moving weekend fell the weekend before out organised trip and it took mucho persuasion to convince her to still have a weekend away from the stress of packing etc.

Hid the ring in a box of jaffa cakes and had to keep stopping and checking it was still there every 10 minutes on the way up!!

Proposed at the top in the mist, surrounded by half of Glasgow, well at least we got a cheer and a few tears from the crowd!!

j3ffo
    Free Member

Fairly low key, walking down by the harbour in Palma. She was speachless for a while… when a few people further down saw me produce the ring they gave us a round of applause. Dinner with some bubbles to celebrate afterwards

29erKeith
    Free Member

At the Taj Mahal, nearly got arrested for it though 😯
    It was worth it, it’s our first anniversary next month.

GrahamS

I just sent the cheque, and when I got the receipt, my heart leapt with joy as I knew she had said ‘Yes’

Aaaawwwh.. I bet you were straight down the docks to wait for her container to arrive. 😀

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Reluctantly?

morgs
    Free Member

On holiday in T’Egypt, last full day there and we went shopping into town.

Bought a diamond ring for her as a Christmas Pressie. Got back to the hotel, on the resort, all alone (apart from a whinging 3 year old) and got a dirty knee.

Regretted it about 6 months later. Married her after 16 months.

I’m in the process fo getting divorced.

+1 to any and all comments that will say something like “be ABSOLUTELY sure” or “Don’t do it” 😉

tops5
    Free Member

Will always regret my proposal –

In the chippy at chucking out time and slurred to my beloved “we can get engaged if you like”

Will always wish I did it properly!

nickf
    Free Member

Fell out of the back of the Land Rover, somewhat overcome by beer. As she helped me up off the pavement, I thought that perhaps this one was worth sticking with.

I asked, she said that I was drunk. I conceded that this was a possibility, so whisked her off to Hatton Garden the next day. She took me a little more seriously then.

Trials and tribulations, but still together 18 years later

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Similar to Nickf (other than the landie bit) was watching Scotland v S.Africa rugby game on TV and she kept bringing me beers when mine was emtpy, so figured she was a keeper & proposed (at half time naturally)

brakes
    Free Member

at gunpoint

emma82
    Free Member

we talked about it, I’d fallen out with my parents and wanted to pee them off proper big time so decided we should get engaged, he didn’t really get a choice 😀 Don’t judge me, I was only a very immature 17 year old at the time. Luckily 11 years on we aren’t actually getting married to annoy my parents, they are actually quite pleased. 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

Whilst carrying her on my shoulders along a deserted Greek beach!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘How did you propose?’ is closed to new replies.