• This topic has 99 replies, 81 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • How did you decide your Childs name?
  • Edric64
    Free Member

I chose unusual names as I didn`t want to follow the herd and have no imagination

stabilizers

Just remember its the kids name not anyone else’s. They have it for the rest of their days unless they are so pissed off they change it.
    Don’t be funny or follow fashion or your likes or your heroes. etc
    Never expose them to be the butt of jokes because of their name.

SaxonRider

I once worked in the West Indies, on an island where young people were given to using completely made-up names. And I mean completely made-up.

In any case, the best name I heard – especially because the family who used it had no idea what the word meant – was ‘Ozone’.

trevron73
    Free Member

I wanted a petrol head name so even before we new sex we had Narrowed down to Elise and Tasmin for a girl and Morgan , Shelby and Austin for a boy .
    originally i wanted Miley Rihanna but that was sad no to ???

Joe

Changing the spelling of a name to make it “more individual” is one of the daftest, most naf and most desperately aspirational things to do in the universe.

Why on earth would you want your kids to spend their whole lives having to spell their names and explain why their names are spelt incorrectly?

hatter

My son’s named after a Doom Metal song, my daugher’s partially named after a lovely redhead I once sat next to on the way home from Eurobike.

You get inspiration wherever you find it I suppose.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I have no idea where my kids first names came from. They just suited them. Seem to remember we had a shortlist and just settled in what seemed right.

They have middle names that have family significance. Which is easier to decide in advance.

gonzy
    Free Member

[/quote] Quite like kona actually. Any other ideas of “acceptable” bike based names?

Based on my current stable,

Rose and Scott also work

Not so sure about gt, charge, genesis or Santa Cruz…..

what about going for a model name as opposed to a brand for example Bronson?

trevron73
    Free Member

@4am screaming Cotic is good ?no?

irelanst
    Free Member

I chose boys names, Wife chose girls names, we had a girl, Niamh seems perfect.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Boring first name (after my dad), fun middle name that we can use every day… He will only get called by his full name when he’s in trouble. That’s how we ended up with James Fox 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

Xeon might work, maybe nomad

Not so sure about duster, equilibrium and scale

Aggressor definitely won’t do…!

Liking Car theme too, Morgan is now on the list.

Wife appears to be waiting for me to create a list so she can go through it. She has some names, but won’t tell me them till I do my list. What’s the bets I spend all this time agonising and she has already made her mind up?

Riksbar

Quite like kona actually. Any other ideas of “acceptable” bike based names?

Not sure Kona is acceptable if he intends travelling to Portuguese speaking countries.

I also like the surgery test to check the non Jeremy Kyleness of names. Just say out loud “hello my name’s xxx xxxx and I’ll be performing your surgery tomorrow”. If your gut response is “no you won’t”, pick a different name.

m0rk
    Free Member

And once you’ve decided on the name. Google it

Just to check your offspring isn’t going to be named after a dictator, adult performer or paedophile

caspian
    Free Member

My next born would be called Thor. Seriously.

My sons middle name is Fox.

Both motocross clothing brands. Be interesting to see how many more kids you could name before you got down to Alpinestars

alisonsmiles
    Free Member

I was introduced to a little girl called Scarlett and asked if she was named after the Gone With the Wind character. She was. That resulted in Ashley, also in the room turning round and saying him, and his siblings Melanie and Eugenie were named after the same film. Seems like the way forward to me (having never had children); I’m thinking Pulp Fiction offers up some excellent choices like Zed and Butch and my personal favourite Esmeralda.

theotherjonv

Wife and I had a shortlist to choose from. We wanted solid proper names (not brands or grape varieties or countries, with due respect to those that chose that route). The first was easy, we both loved one girl’s name but couldn’t decide between three boy’s ones, and then thankfully had a girl. Polly (which I liked because it’s PJ Harvey’s name)

The second was the other way, two girl’s names and one boy’s. But on arriving at the delivery suite, the friends of the hospital’s book trolley was in the corridor. Expecting a bit of a wait, i had a quick browse but the book on top was a clear and obvious decision maker. The book is now in our memento drawer and will be given to her when she gets married. Born Free, daughter #2 is of course Elsa. Born in 2006, so well before Frozen, but it has become a bit of a curse currently!!

gogg
    Free Member

I lived in a tee-pee for a while, so adopted a traditional native american approach of naming the child after the first thing that I saw after emerging from the tee-pee following the birth.

My daughter Running Water is pretty happy, and my oldest son Howling Wolf is equally happy, my youngest son Two Dogs Humping, not such a well adjusted young man…

gogg
    Free Member

I was at University with a genuine “Benjamin Downe”, he hated his parents!!

TiRed

Thing 1 and Thing 2.

Pick something that has unambiguous spelling. I’m always telling people there is only one R in my name – wasn’t important until email came along. Two syllable names pass the doorstop test better than one.

Ben is a dog’s name. Thomas is timeless. Don’t marry a primary school teacher – every name will have an association, usually bad!

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘How did you decide your Childs name?’ is closed to new replies.