Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • How did I fix my fridge??
  • bearnecessities

Tall fridge freezer – fridge died on it, then freezer a week later.

Turned it off. Tried again a few days later – just flashing lights and nothing working.

Then yesterday I pulled it out and found an open-top water reservoir at the bottom/back. I couldn’t seem to take it out, so I tipped it all out onto the floor. (I have no flooring!)

Et voila. It fired back up and this morning was running better than before.

What did I do and how should I empty it in future?

annebr
    Free Member

It’s probably a drain that gets frozen/blocked.

At the back inside of the fridge there is usually some kind of drain hole that often blocks and affect the functionality of the fridge. I have to check ours every few weeks as it seems to get keep getting blocked.

wwaswas

it normally relies on heat from the pump to evaporate the water in that container. Maybe yours has some sort of float that shuts it down if the container becomes full?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hora
    Free Member

My fridge/freezer stopped working. Figured out it was piling up frozen food infront of the freezer fan that caused it to cut out..

Common sense post-event..

bearnecessities

Bugger.

Just moved it a little, and the bloody thing died again.

Motor/compressor/gremlin just stopped working.

Don’t suppose anyone has any ideas?

matt_outandabout

Yes, Gumtree for another one.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Top tip: If you need to move a fridge, turn it off and wait a day before moving it.

I know it’s a little late now, but as said, gumtree or ebay (collection only) is worth a shot.

piemonster

It needs adjusting with a hammer, the bigger the better.

bearnecessities

I’ve already kicked it. This yielded no positive results though.

adam_h
    Free Member

Sounds like a wiring fault, if moving it is causing it to run/cut out, just breaking/making loose connection as you move it.

The tray you speak of is for when the chiller/freezer goes on defrost, collects melt water, evaporates with the heat of the compressor when it kicks back in post defrost. Tray full of water just suggests the compressor hasn’t ran for a while and the water has just been collecting from the ice melting, with no heat to evaporate it off.

That’s my internet diagnosis anyway… I could be way off 🙂

bearnecessities

Just plugged it back in after leaving all doors open for an hour or so and…bloody thing is working again.

It is now positioned in the middle of the space that is loosely described as a kitchen, and will not be moving!

finishthat
    Free Member

google “fridge overload protector” – buy one – cheap – like 5 quid – and it may well fix it – anything else and its not worth fixing.
    overload protectors fail and big white goods get replaced when they could last years for the want of a cheap easy fix.

adam_h
    Free Member

Might be going off on the compressor klixon in that case. Is the compressor really hot after running for abit?

piemonster

I’ve already kicked it. This yielded no positive results though.

Did you equalise the kicks. Don’t forget the bottom, that needs kicking too.

bearnecessities

I roundhoused the top and toe punted the arse.

I’ll let it run overnight and have a sniff for excess heat round the back in the morning; cheers.

piemonster

Good. Any further problems just use a hole punch.

spooky_b329

If its an old fridge its probably cheaper in the long run to replace it anyway. A 10yr old fridge can cost £60 more per year to run than a new one.

A good argument to avoid keeping the old fridge as a beer fridge in the garage!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘How did I fix my fridge??’ is closed to new replies.