Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • How crap are these ss things on the flat…….
  • ton

rode mine to work today.
    legs like bats wings all the way…….
    that’s all………… 🙄

richc
    Free Member

thats why you need a 2 speed, 3:1 for the road, 2:1 for offroad.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I find it a good workout myself – keeping 32:18 turning on the flat for 10km certainly gets the old lungs going…

miketually
    Free Member

Just pedal faster or go slower. Or move to the top/bottom of a big hill.

ski
    Free Member

GaryLake – Member

I find it a good workout myself – keeping 32:18 turning on the flat for 10km certainly gets the old lungs going…

My normal commuter was out of action today (kaff) so took my SS instead (32:18).

spintastic, just a bit funny having school kids pass me on their BMX’s!

Quite a chilled ride though, spin like mad, then coast, then spin like mad and coast again, felt like a big kid again 😉

dasnut
    Free Member

I run 34:15 on a fairly flat commute in your area Ton. Just MTFU for gods sake and get a proper job so yer not posting to this forum all the time.

thats all

BigDummy
    Free Member

Do you understand what gears are for? Your post suggests that the effects of a lack of them surprised you. 🙂

robbo1234biking

I run a 38:16 on my commute with two big hills on the way home – makes for an easy ride in and a difficult ride home which is the way I prefer it really! I did get overtaken by a roadie this morning who flew away from me on the flat though!

samuri
    Free Member

stick a bigger gear on. 42:18 for me on my commuter, makes things fun for the hills and chasing down roadies on the road bits is always good for a laugh.

JonBurns
    Free Member

I commuted today on my Tricross SS but had it set up as a fixed bike. constantly pedalling was a new experience and spinning a little too much on the downs was also a little iffy, not to mention junctions.

A good experience though for my first fixed ride, must do it again.

Keva
    Free Member

what ratio are you running ? I found my 32/16 crap on flat sections, nothing to push against at all, it was only ever good in the woods with penty of undulating ground. I switched to 1×9 in the end, still good fun and much more versatlie.

Kev

turnip
    Free Member

somebodies worked out why normal people dont SS…

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

somebodies worked out why hasty impatient people dont SS…

uh huh 😉

monkeychild
    Free Member

I run 48:18 on my fixie and it’s shweeeeeeet 😀 it’s 32:16 on my MTB and it does get a bit spinny, but you mtfu through it and regale in the knowledge you have no gears to faff with.

Peregrine
    Free Member

Can’t imagine riding a bike with only one gear.

richc
    Free Member

why? you can only use one gear at a time anyway.

s1m0n
    Free Member

I use 40:16 on commuting inbred in your area Ton. Fine for road and canal, but gets a bit spinny with a tail wind.

the00
    Free Member

Chill out, slow down, arrive smiling.
    Or find an off-road route instead.

jackthedog
    Free Member

44:18 for me and totally the opposite – only good on the flat, no good for hilly areas at all unless I fancy shaving a few years of life from my knee cartiledge.

topangarider
    Free Member

Just buy gears – fairly bloody obvious!

Dave
    Free Member

Can’t imagine riding a bike with only one gear.

How about Unicorns, can you imagine them?

DavidB
    Free Member

How about Unicorns, can you imagine them?

Is that a bloke who can only tell one crap joke

BlingBling
    Free Member

why? you can only use one gear at a time anyway.

Yeah when I get to a hill I just swap bikes to a higher geared SS.

It’s much easier than faffing around with gears :mrgreen:

Dave
    Free Member

It’s a horse with a horn.

Has anyone got an imagination any more?

ton

actually, i did enjoy it very much, i might even race on it this weekend……………… 😉

Hairychested
    Free Member

I once built a SS with 25/18 ratio, 2.5 DH tyres, Azonic DS1 frame and Z1 orange bombers. Slow as **** but fun. Especially when pedestrians begun to overtake me 😀
    It was brill for taking my then 6 months old daughter in a Hamax for a bit of off-road riding in Feltham pits, Bedfont Lakes etc.

singlespeedstu

ton – Member

actually, i did enjoy it very much, i might even race on it this weekend………………

Stone him. 😉

Militant_biker

I rode mine to work yesterday as I’ve not ridden it in 6 months and am going to SSUK. ook.

Going to ride it in again tomorrow but couldn’t face the spin today :-/

chunkypaul
    Free Member

just MTFU and stick a 12t cog on…!

i too will be racing at the weekend (or laughing at the racers anyhow….)

thekingofsweden

About the same as your attitude i suppose 🙄

Think how much smoother your pedaling style will become over time and how much power you will have on hills !

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I like my SS. Should ride it more often really.

It takes 50 minutes to get to work on and the geared hardtail takes 40 minutes whilst the Enduro (in Alps guise) takes 45 minutes.

Hardly much difference.

Prophet2
    Free Member

Converted my Spesh Hardrock that I use for commuting to singlespeed, 42T chainring 18t cog, a few weeks ago. Fantastic move, perfect for my commute in Edinburgh. Just loving it…..

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Like I always say, I love ss, I’ve got 27 on my bike!
    Just can’t see the point of it.
    I remember talking to one s/speeder up at Swaledale who told me he didn’t need gears & could ride everything there. Frmington Edge…ss…liar!!

Bez

you’ve all missed the real answer which is to move somewhere with some bloody hills

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve put a 16T freewheel on the classifieds if you want to speed up a bit 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

it all depends on your point of view, i like to look at the scenery so i didn’t mind the spinny flat bits, only when some chav on a P.O.S. bike passed me did i miss being able to go faster, but you could always catch and pass them when they ran out of steam on the next hill

SS is all about the ride, not just the speed imho

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

32-16 all you need, wind her up and i can catch up to roadies, legs are going like humming bird wings but tis fun

Bez

32-16 all you need, wind her up and i can catch up to roadies

Roadies doing their shopping? 🙂

adeward
    Free Member

i go for the 36 18 option more teeth in action but the bigger front ring makes it look less like a trials bike,,, and as i have no skill in that dept ,, it’s better that way

timber

love my ss for commuting and going to the shops, have accepted that I won’t burn anyone off and arrive sweat free

can spin 32:16 upto about 30mph on the flat before my legs fly off if I can be bothered to try

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘How crap are these ss things on the flat…….’ is closed to new replies.