Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • How could I 'ramp' this curb?
  • GoatKarma
    Free Member

Hoping you lot are waaay more practical than me! I’m planning a bike race for next year, and the course has to go over a couple of slightly raised curbs (about 1.5″). Anyone got any idea how I could ‘ramp’ it so the bikes smoothly sail over it? Was suggested coal tar, but the estates people said the curb is too small so they wouldn’t be able to make a nice ramp on it, so it would just break up. Any kind of small rubber ramp or something?

dannybgoode

Have you seen pave?

Tell the riders to MTFU…

johnellison
    Free Member

Piece of thick carpet?

legend
    Free Member

Fatbike race I assume?

wombat

Use a fillet of premixed tarmac repair compound, should only take a couple of buckets for that length, and then dig it up straight afterwards.

mrblobby
    Free Member

650B?

treaclesponge
    Free Member

What dannybgoode said, thats tiny.

dabble
    Free Member

Have you seen pave?

Tell the riders to MTFU…

Hear hear.

Cheers,
    Danny B

(FTFY)

johnellison
    Free Member

Restrict entry to only riders of 29ers. Everyone knows that 29 inch wheels have the ability to smooth out the biggest bumps. But you can only go in straight lines.

Northwind

Sign with “kerb” written on it?

You could sort it quite nicely with a wee shaped plank but then if the right sort of tosser falls off on the plank you’re maybe opening yourself up to trouble…

GoatKarma
    Free Member

Cheers fellas. Normally I would just tell them to MTFU, but we’ve got youth races as well, plus it’s a crit and not sure I’d want people hitting it at 30mph, especially as they are turning into it (it’s at a junction).

kevj
    Free Member

nedrapier

Something like this? Take a stanley knife and split it, put half each side? There are probably wider versions that would give you a smoother ramp.

thomthumb
    Free Member

ply. Put a thin sheet over a thick sheet.

RoterStern
    Free Member

What the construction companies do over here is lay asphalt on a sheet of plastic over the curb which makes it easier to pull it up afterwards.

lucien

Someone’s left 20p in the road on one of the pics, I’d have that if I were you before someone else see’s it

chrismac

I still vote for the MTFU option, if they cant ride over that then they shouldnt be racing.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Chewing gum? In the pic I mean, not to level the curb.

creamegg
    Free Member

where’s the kerb?

stumpy01

…but the estates people said the curb is too small so they wouldn’t be able to make a nice ramp on it, so it would just break up. Any kind of small rubber ramp or something?

Couldn’t they tarmac over the whole thing in a nice swoopy bump, rather than just sticking tarmac wedges at each end? Assuming the tarmac could be removed easily enough afterwards? Or some kind of thick mat/carpet with a length of garden hose running under it along the edge of the kerb to soften the edge?

ads678

Few more leaves ought to do it!!

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

bit of wood to step it down, a little lower than the kerb butted up to it, then carpet or similar over that.

njee20
    Free Member

I suspect anything temporary you put on there will be more dangerous than the small bump. I’d not fancy turning onto two bits of unsecured ply, and wonder if you’d be opening yourself for more liability issues than if you just said “watch out for the small curb at the t-junction” in the briefing.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m amazed nobody’s yet suggested a ramp with a kicker to make a nice gap jump.

Pook

*kerb

sunnrider
    Free Member

Put one of these in front of it:

But seriously, this is a troll, right?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

What about putting an obstacle there (Tree trunk, railway sleepers),… that way everyone has to get off and step, jump over it?

Also adds to the spectacle, skill, makes it more spectator friendly.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A proper rampage ramp

Milkie
    Free Member

…not sure I’d want people hitting it at 30mph

In that case keep it as it is. As above add a sign.

plyphon
    Free Member

One of these should do it:

sugdenr
    Free Member

…not sure I’d want people hitting it at 30mph

Some hay bales or a few bollards and a bit of tape and you’ve got a nice chicane – adds feature to the race. Stone birds two with, simples

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I swear there are bigger pot holes on the Ingliston crit circuit than that ramp. I’m sure it wouldnt cause any issues.

eddie11
    Free Member

a mat/carpet over the whole thing. taped down at the edges.

iolo
    Free Member

Sand asphalt. You won’t need much.
    Try your local quarry. It will be a hell of a lot cheaper if you collect it with a pickup and tarp.
    If you have no tarp it will be solid when you get to where you’re going.
    Or ask for cutback tar (used for raising around manholes during resurfacing)

ssboggy

Ultra crete laid on plastic or a bit of sand so it comes up easily after.

ska-49
    Free Member

SHOTGUN the 20p!

Olly
    Free Member

leave it, but chuck in a chicken line (which is 10m longer) ?

in reality, if i HAD to soften it off, i would just get a sheet of ply. you could lie some 10mm ply in front of it, and it would make 1 step into two half sized steps. it would also then not move about!
    paint something rad on it

hot_fiat

put this over it then nail it down with a hilti gun:

njee20
    Free Member

Carpet over the whole thing is the best idea. Ply strikes me as a terrible idea. Imagine if it gets wet…

hot_fiat

Like the bridge at the Malverns in ’97 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘How could I 'ramp' this curb?’ is closed to new replies.