Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • how clean is your bike?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

I have a reputation for my bikes always being cleaner now than when they were brand new. There have been occasional lapses but the rep generally holds true.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I tend to keep mine pretty clean, mainly becasue I equate a clean bike with a cared for bike, and I can’t afford to not look after my bikes.
    Cleaning is when I spot things that are wrong (Like dinged rims, a snapped stem bolt and a snapped chainstay….) and I’ve seen more then one person turn up for a ride with a bike that’s obviously not been touched for a while and then have to start fixing it at the roadside before they can ride.
    Regular cleaning of the drivetrain makes it last longer too, and also makes it easier to clean becasue it’s not caked in weeks-old filth and oil, so a quick brush with some soapy water has it sparking again (This is also the reason I only use light oil on my chain, not sticky stuff: It’s easier to clean)

It has to be said I’ve never had the slightest problem selling any bikes or parts on, either.

I’m not anal about it, and I’ll leave it for a few rides if it’s not dirty, but I wouldn’t leave any of my MTBs caked in thick mud even overnight when 15 mins with a hose and a brush has it clean again
    🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Depends.

After riding dry trails, it’s just a quick chain wipe and fork seal clean and lube required.

After riding wet trails, you sometimes cant read the logo on the downtube so it get a hose and sponge down, with some more attention on the drivetrain and fork.

But it’s never spotless.

neil853
    Free Member

Mine is washed after every off road ride, but to be honest i’ve got it down to around 1 hour now 😳 secretly i enjoy the cleaning, its all part and parcel of mountain biking to me. To be honest i’ve got things like a Joplin on my bike so i HAVE to be into maintenance 🙄

Conversley my commuter (cx bike) gets washed around once a month. It really should get better looked after as this is effectivley my main form of transport during the week. Yet it sits there in the shed, unloved yet totally reliable. 🙄

GW
    Free Member

15mins? an hour? WTF are you doing with the hose? it takes less than 5 mins to hose off a bike, scrub anything that needs it and re-lube the chain. (or about 30seconds with a jetwash)

Andituk
    Free Member

Mine gets a clean after most rides. Last ride was pretty much frozen solid so its only a bit splattered, so i didn’t bother braving the cold to clean it, but usually its cleaned every week.

Fenwicks and a hose and it doesn’t take long.

I too think its just part of looking after a bike, give it a wash and check over and make sure its ready for when you next want to use it. That way when time for the next ride comes around, you’re not wasting time fixing things or getting filthy before you’ve even set off just putting the bike on the rack.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Hose down and lube after every ride. I’ll give them a proper clean when they’re really dirty.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Full clean, de-grease and scrubbing brush on drivechain then relube of everything after 2-3 rides, always gets a wash without fail when I get home. I paid enough for the damn things and I want them to last!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Whoa.. I’m amazed at this! Are you people really all that slack?

I ride ~ 3 times a week. My bikes are cleaned spotlessly after every ride, lubed, maintained and cared for. I couldn’t do any less.

Perhaps its that they live in the bedroom that drives this, but still.

It IS all about the bike.. 😉

owainga

Mine’s pretty clean right now (probably a few bits of filth in hard to get to crannies). Wash after every muddy ride, so every bleeding day right now. Frame’s mud clearance sucks enough that if i don’t then it is a right sod to ride and the front mech is so crammed with crud it won’t shift. Plus i figure the drivetrain lives longer that way.

No hose or jetwash here, so brush and a bucket. FWIW green oil’s clean chain degreaser is magical.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘how clean is your bike?’ is closed to new replies.