Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • how clean is your bike?
  • flebby
    Free Member

How often do you clean your bike?

I always used to wash it down after every offroad ride but don’t get as much time for fiddling in the garage these days and probably getting a bit lazy too. So cleaning takes place on more of a monthly basis 😮

Please reassure me that I am not alone. Or should I be ashamed ?

jedi

i hardly ever clean my bikes

badlydrawnbiker
    Free Member

You really should be ashamed – if there was an RSPCB I’d report you.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

ive cleaned my dh bike once since getting it in august hahaha

iainc

too clean to go messing it up by riding it !

bigbob38
    Free Member

Oh thanks, youv’e just reminded me of another job needing doing 🙄

coogan
    Free Member

Ashamed of what? I hardly clean them, they go over mud, rocks and sticks every ride. Never affected them one bit.

clubber
    Free Member

My road bike is immaculate

My mtbs arent too dirty but certainly far from immaculate.

flebby
    Free Member

Ah yes well my road bike is also mintly hanging up and hasn’t moved since the last heatwave….but last year I forked out one hundred tenners on a lovely brand new malt4 and it just don’t seen right leaving it mummyfied in a brown mudpack weeks on end. Shoulda got a brown one not white…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Just given my SS a full strip down, clean and service. Sparkling.

Normally only do so every 6 months or so really. Just brush the thick off after rides,. bit of lube on the chain, that’s that. It donYES GET IN SUAREZ YOU LITTLE BEAUTY!!!’t really need any more than that tbh. Love SS for that. Simples!

yunki
    Free Member

my bike has been in the shed for… 8 days.. I WILL clean it before Friday..

doubledunter
    Free Member

Give it a wash down with my mobi after every ride, once a month I usually take off the cassette/chain etc and give it clean..

fasthaggis

I wash all mine quite a bit,it’s a leftover from MX/Enduro days.
    You sometimes spot stuff while you are cleaning that could mess up your race or big day out.

I have had very few mechanicals.

tk46hal
    Free Member

Bef
    SCANDAL 005 by timoreillyhalifax, on Flickrore the ride!
    After sundays ride!

001 by timoreillyhalifax, on Flickr

I couldn’t be bothered to clean it cause it will get dirty again at the weekend!
    Is this lazy or just sensible?
    I do clean my bikes well once a month maybe!

Ringo
    Free Member

Never, sometimes brush the shit off when it driea, all I do is lube chain

MrGreedy

Posh road bike = immaculate, doesn’t go out in the rain
    SS road bike = Permanently caked in filth
    Geared MTB = brush down the drivetrain every ride if muddy, proper clean maybe once every 4 rides or so
    SS MTB = only one ride old so far, will probably be a happy medium between the geared MTB and the Pompino

P.S. Thanks for the spoiler alert Elfin.

rp16v
    Free Member

its not clean atall get it caked in mud on sunday comute 6 miles back from the woods what comes off comes off whats left will bounce off on the next ride when i fall off 🙂

Oggles
    Free Member

My mountain bike is immaculate, and my road bike is covered in crud 😈

Pogo
    Free Member

SS road bike is reasonably clean.
    SS Inbred 29er is absolutely filthy, will knock excess dirt off before next outing.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Filthy with a lovely combination of mud and cow poo but it’ll be clean enough to eat my dinner off again tomorrow. Not that I will eat my dinner off it – that would be weird – I’ll use a plate.

brakes
    Free Member

big bike – covered in mud from last ride, in state of disrepair with sticky forks, wobbly back wheel and gears not working
    hardtail – got cleaned couple of weeks ago at Cannock where there was a jet wash, first proper wash in about 9 months
    road/ commuter bike – got jetwashed at the garage last summer, covered in road grime
    I don’t have easy access to bike cleaning facilities and I don’t want to clean it in the street, so I don’t bother. keep the drivetrain cleanish, but quite like the look of bikes that are used and abused.

Ambrose

Absolutely filthy- as usual. Currently covered with good Brecon Beacons filth from tonight’s ride 🙂

joolsburger
    Free Member

I just brush the mud off when it dries. wax lube so no chain cleaning anymore.

stgeorge

I couldn’t be bothered to clean it cause it will get dirty again at the weekend

Corrected that for you tk46hal (looks clean to me)

😀

Coyote
    Free Member

When they need it. In winter, after most rides. In summer, usually never.

mamadirt
    Free Member

I clean mine when I sell them . . . so that’s monthly then 😉

andrewh
    Free Member

6 bikes. 5 are imaculate and one is a real mess.

Commuter/hack bike (rigid SS so very little to go wrong) gets cleaned when I get some spare time, has been known to go well over a year between washes. Race bike gets a full 8-10hr strip and rebuild every ride. TT bike hardley ever gets grubby, DH bike hardley gets ridden 🙁 except for Scotland trip next month 🙂 Road bike and HT get 3-5hr clean when used, unless being used on consecutive days when they’ll get done after the last one.

brakes
    Free Member

Race bike gets a full 8-10hr strip and rebuild every ride

seriously? you’ve got too much time on your hands…

GW
    Free Member

ive cleaned my dh bike once since getting it in august hahaha

do you use it much?
    I find my DH bike often needs 2 or 3 drivetrain jetwashes a day during a wet race just to allow the chain to work without jamming, and after 2 or 3 runs it’ll weigh a good 10lb less if I give it a quick blast.
    I only clean mine when they need cleaned!

Northwind

Mates of mine were surprised to discover my Hemlock’s white rather than its customary brown. So when getting the Mmmbop resprayed I chose a colour that looks good with mud on. I keep all the worky bits clean and well serviced but the frames etc can be as dirty as they want.

Kevevs
    Free Member

seriously, do you really, really think I have so little to do that I am actively gonna open a thread with this title and tell you how clean my bike is?! ha ha.

my bike is really really **** clean buddy, you better believe it! and I am damn proud. do you know how long it took me to get it that bluddy clean? I’m never riding it again. I’m going down the LBS to get a custom made glass case…

now where is my camera..

andrewh
    Free Member

Race bike gets a full 8-10hr strip and rebuild every ride

seriously? you’ve got too much time on your hands…

Seriously. But that’s around a dozen races per year.
    Slight issue with a fork seal in a 24hr race in 2010 and had a chain jump behind the cassette in an XC race in 2009. No mechanicals in 2008. Wrecked a mech hanger and blew rear shock seals in 2007. Can’t remember any further back than that.
    Never DNF’d in an MTB race.
    Wood is being touched right now!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

mamadirt – Member
    I clean mine when I sell them . . . so that’s monthly then

😆 Monthly? More like weekly…

Do any of them actually have time to get dirty??

seosamh77
    Free Member

couple of times or three a year at best

Kevevs
    Free Member

since I typed that, I checked my bikes, and I noticed some dirt in some nooks and crannies. There is nothing I can do, before getting the glass case, but strip the whole thing and put all the bits in the washing machine. looking after, photographing, and owning bikes is a right faff and carry-on! I wouldn’t recommend it as a hobby.

handyman
    Free Member

Clean mine when something stops working or it has a new bit fitted otherwise every couple of months, if you spray it with silicon lube the mud falls off when its dry

Dirty.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I don’t care if you are a right wing happy-bubbble-living robot follower or a lefty-towerblock-cynical-smash-the system-idealist. or normal. If I met you for a ride, and your bike showed an ounce of dirt. I would disrespect you forever more. 😆 😛

Coyote
    Free Member

Wood is being touched right now!

You love that bike far to much.

PiknMix
    Free Member

inst that why most people here have a shed/garage/bedroom/kitchen full of bikes? so when one is too dirty you just grab one that’s clean?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘how clean is your bike?’ is closed to new replies.