Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • how capable are cx small block 8's ?
  • iainc

I have a pair of these in 32 on my Jake and tend to use when on gentle stuff with the kids. Bigger loop planned tomorrow round ardgarten peninsula which is a lot of fire road mixed with some moderately tecky and rocky single track. Last time I did it on CX bike I had 35 speed kings on…….

Wondering if an afternoon tyre change is required…as not sure on capability of kenda’s ?

clubber
    Free Member

I used to use them for everything including rocks and mud. I thought they were very good. I only stopped using them as they just wouldn’t work tubeless for me.

I’d not bother swapping in your situation.

iainc

Thanks clubber, that’s the type of feedback I was hoping for. I have found them ideal on gentle stuff and much faster than the speed kings but have never ridden proper stuff on them 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive used them all over the place, including in the Cevennes on some pretty rough trails. Not so great on mud, obviously, but with enough pressure theyre fine on rocky stuff.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/route-guideride-report-france-tarn-cevennes-big-post-pic-heavy

iainc

Thanks stoner, that’s a great read. I see you were on 35’s while I have 32’s – guess I’ll pump them up a bit more !

slowjo
    Free Member

clubber you have just helped me no end. I have been going quietly insane trying to get small block 8s to work tubeless on my crosser. I can now give up and try some different tyres!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Just for balance, I’ve been using sb8 tubeless for about 4 years now! Mine is a ghetto setup and I do have a compressor for the initial inflation.
    Once I got them seated the first time they did leak quite a lot through the sidewalls, but it stopped eventually. Now there’s a layer of latex on them they pop straight on and no leaking at all, very easy.
    I love them and find they are actually OK in very wet mud (that falls out of the tread when the wheel rotates), but thicker sticky mud is ‘interesting’.
    In late autumn I usually run a mud x on the front for steering and a sb8 on the back for easier rolling.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Pesky double post

dobo
    Free Member

i use sb8 for everything on the cx and work well, they are fast and work well on road and have good grip for the tread, just be careful on off cambre wet grass.. as above wet mud is fine but sticky claggy stuff wont shed and turn you into a heavy slick in mud 🙂 that can happy with any tyre though. reasonably durable for the weight and size. if you want something more bomb proof then get some land cruisers but they are heavy and are intresting in the sticky mud too.

iainc

Sharkbait and dobo, many thanks, are you on 32’s or 35’s ?

dobo
    Free Member

32’s done 2000km on mine puncture free, the 32’s arnt the highest volume tyre to be fair.

sharkbait
    Free Member

mine are on my mtb so neither 32 or 35

iainc

Cheers

Nipper99
    Free Member

sb8s here too – fine on everything save for really claggy mud.

slowjo
    Free Member

Maybe I need to persevere then. I like the sb8s but seem to get quite a few punctures., hence the wish for tubeless.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘how capable are cx small block 8's ?’ is closed to new replies.