Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • How can rolling resistance not come from each tyre evenly?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve read that most rolling resistance comes from the back tyre – if this is correct is it because it carries more weight or some other reason I don’t understand?
    I would have thought that each tyre would contribute the same resistance, but I’m willing to learn.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I would have thought that each tyre would contribute the same resistance

I think you’d have to justify that suggestion, wouldn’t it be a strange coincidence ? Different tyres, possibly different widths, compounds and construction, different loads (and varying proportions depending on terrain and riding mode) make different resistances likely.

nickc

‘magine if you were to measure it, it probably changes all the time

GW
    Free Member

it can, how do you think you control a drift.

rs
    Free Member

I would say if your blasting down a hill weight centred over the two wheels, then rolling resistance is similar but doesn’t really matter a hell of a lot cause your going downhill. Now if your grinding up hill, your in the saddle on an upslope so your weight will be more over the back of the bike and hence more weight will be going through the rear tire, so if your running a ST Maxxis your going to feel it a bit. I don’t think you’d notice it off-road much, more if your grinding your way up a road climb. Not sure that made any sense but there you go.

Marge
    Free Member

it is important to remember that your front tyre is free rolling whereas your rear is transmitting a force to the road.

sharki
    Free Member

yes, drag will occur from both ends but it will be felt more on climbs and flat sections, at these times weight and power is transfered through the rear tyre so it’ll be the rear causing the drag.

super tacky high rollers do drag alot and this can be felt on the flat and even whilst on a slight gradient, i found this great for keeping my fitness through the winter but it’s pretty stupid, i’d not run ST on the SS. but on a geared bike ST up front and something a bit firmer up the rear ;-).

so in anwser to the OP, yes, sometimes but rarely and not having as much noticable effect.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Different tyres, possibly different widths, compounds and construction

I was imagining the same tyre withthe same pressure front and back.

it is important to remember that your front tyre is free rolling whereas your rear is transmitting a force to the road.

I would imagine that this has a defeinite effect – I would have thought that the the driven wheel suffers more friction unless you’re going downhill as RS said.

I was just wondering because I’ve read that if you want to reduce your rolling resistance the rear tyre is more important, but then I think I also saw the opposite stated somewhere!
    I guess the rear should have more effect.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘How can rolling resistance not come from each tyre evenly?’ is closed to new replies.