Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • How can people be so clueless !!!!
  • oldfart

Just calming down after watching a couple lose £600.000 on this question .Which name comes after Santa for a City in California .Choices are Romeo,Brooklyn,Victoria and CRUZ !!!!!Whats amazing is they still have £400,000 left !!!! 👿

Jamie
    Free Member

Dumbasses. It’s obviously Santa Brooklyn.

tankslapper
    Free Member

why wasn’t CLAUS an answer…….

Ooohhh! I cracked a nail….

Hairychested
    Free Member

My wife isn’t sure, her first try was Victoria. Now she’s checking a World Atlas. Dumb, dumb, dumb!
    She still maintains it’s Santa Victoria.

wheeliejim
    Free Member

It’s obviously Santa Brooklyn.

No, the chap (the brains of the two) knew that Brooklyn was a state, not a city… 😯

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Santa Cruz is a very small place in the US, apparently it has a population of 56,124. I wouldn’t expect the majority of people in the UK to know it. Would you expect the majority of people in the US to have heard of a UK town with a population of 56,124 ?

They could have guessed of course. Specially if they rode mountain bikes.

Jamie
    Free Member

So wait, wait wait. It’s not Santa Brooklyn?

*cancels holiday*

PeteG55
    Free Member

Think I was aware of Santa Cruz before I got seriously into mountain bikes, but that might have had something to do with surfing or something that I was into then.

andrewh
    Free Member

Monica.
    Barbara
    Clara

And yes, there is a Santa Clause (Indiana)

My g/f had never heard of Captain Scott (yes, that one) which I found odd. Mentioned this at work and my colleague said “the name sounds familiar. Was he in Star Trek?” 🙄

mrmo
    Free Member

Santa is spanish so pick something that matches, even if it is a guess, that would be cruz.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve heard of Santa Cruz – I’ve even been there. It’s clearly not any of the others.

delusional
    Free Member

Santa Cruz is a very small place in the US

It is quite a small town by population; but it’s quite a small town in California, a place that is at the heart of a huge amount of western pop-culture and as such Santa Cruz punches well above it’s population weight in global recognition.

Plus The Lost Boys was filmed there.

Pauly

Plus there are numerous songs, some recent, with it mentioned in the lyrics.

nonk
    Free Member

Plus The Lost Boys was filmed there.

ta i was struggling with my brain about something untill you said that.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

….Santa Cruz punches well above it’s population weight in global recognition.

Well I’m sure that it punches well above it’s population weight in the US, but for me it’s rather reassuring if people in the Britain have never heard of it. I find this whole attitude that everyone in Britain should know all things American really rather depressing. The United States is not the centre of the universe, it only contains a very small percentage of the world’s population, and it needs to be seen much more in that context. Besides, it’s hardly an attitude which is reciprocated by the Americans towards us (or towards anyone else for that matter) hence my comment would you expect the majority of people in the US to have heard of a UK town with a population of 56,124 ? The Americans are really not that[/b] important. Britain is an independent nation, and British people really do not need to know US geography, history, etc. any more than they need to about the geography, history, etc. of other countries, specially Commonwealth countries.

yunki
    Free Member

oh dear… I think you’ve got the wrong end of the twinkie ernest.. we as a nation import all of our pop culture second hand from the US.. it’s a fact.. even you yourself were completely enamored by the exotic americas as a child.. deny it! GO ON!

US is cool… hence we know of the places.. we’re not taught it or expected to know it.. it’s ingrained in us from birth through teevees by our disturbing capitilastic state and the filthy media henchmen.. and there is certainly no attitude that everyone should know everything american.. that concept is in your befuzzled mind..
    the attitude is that we should know EVERYTHING..

the yanks don’t care cos they are fat and stoopid

luked2
    Free Member

Santa Cruz is also famously the home of the Santa Cruz Operation. Made infamous by Darl McBride. I’m amazed no-one has heard of it.

aracer
    Free Member

would you expect the majority of people in the US to have heard of a UK town with a population of 56,124

It’s a City. I’d kind of expect most people in the US have heard of a UK City with a population of 11,500.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

we’re not taught it, or expected to know it

Erm, I think we are expected to know. Hence this thread.

And the media makes certain we are kept informed. News from the US is often treated with almost equal standing as news from the UK.

rs
    Free Member

I know the answer, but only because i bought my santa claus bullit thinking i would get huge air like i had reindeer strapped to the front of my bike, was gutted to find it was santa cruz and named after a shitty little american town!

iDave
    Free Member

How can he be Spanish when Santa is from Lapland?

molgrips
    Free Member

I find this whole attitude that everyone in Britain should know all things American really rather depressing.

We aren’t expected to know it because it’s the USA. We end up knowing it because we consume a lot of culture. The OP was surprised that the people didn’t know it given that it’s a widely recognised place. That’s not the same as considering it important to know.

A lot of people know that Manchester United play at Old Trafford, even if they care not a jot about the team. It’s not in any way important but I’d still be mildly surprised if a person didn’t know.

However I am bloody amazed that it was the £1m question – assuming this is WWTBAM.

yunki
    Free Member

Erm

I find this whole attitude of trying to pour scorn on a post that rationally and logically undermines a post of your own, by smarmily pointing out pedantic points of little or no consequence, really rather depressing.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I find this whole attitude of trying to pour scorn on a post that rationally and logically undermines a post of your own, by smarmily pointing out pedantic points of little or no consequence, really rather depressing.

Is that what I did ? 😀

I had no idea. I thought I was just saying “hang on a minute, I’m not sure I entirely agree with that point”

But your interpretation sounds much better yunki ……..thanks 8)

yunki
    Free Member

😐

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Don’t look so glum !

Here’s a banana dancing to cheer you up

yunki
    Free Member

🙁

EDIT: I watched it for a little bit longer and it did actually noticably cheer me up..

thanks 8)

Is capitilastic a real word ?

ratherbeintobago

I’d kind of expect most people in the US have heard of a UK City with a population of 11,500.

Really? 12000 population is getting pretty small (the biggest 66 settlements in the UK are all 100k+, to give you an idea of scale); there will be plenty of people in the UK who may not have heard of British towns that size, and, in any case, the Yanks are often poor at the geography of the next state, never mind the UK.

Andy

njee20
    Free Member

However I am bloody amazed that it was the £1m question – assuming this is WWTBAM.

Nah, it was Million Pound Drop Live, where they seem to only allow morons! I was going to apply, but you can’t go on your own any more, and I suspect it would ruin friendships rather easily!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

News from the US is often treated with almost equal standing as news from the UK.

So what? Have you seen the coverage the UK gets in countries like India and Australia?

I’m with the OP. It’s nothing to do with any US bias, just decent general knowledge, which a lot of people simply don’t have any more.

Trimix
    Free Member

I like stories of stupid people, makes me feel better.

jonb
    Free Member

Is it the equivalent of asking about Todmorden in the US?

I know it but only because of the bikes and the song… by the Thrills?

antigee

there’s a song about Todmorden?

oldgit
    Free Member

Im sure I was well aware of Santa Cruz from an early age, cant think why though. Perhaps something to do with skateboarding in the 70s?

yunki
    Free Member

Is capitilastic a real word ?

yes.. I learnt it from our ex-president George Dubya Bush.. Now there was a man with honourability.. He could have taken our twin nation conglomarationality right to the top..

mintimperial

Im sure I was well aware of Santa Cruz from an early age, cant think why though. Perhaps something to do with skateboarding in the 70s?

Santa Cruz Skateboards? Would have been the first place I heard the name, I remember them from when I was about ten.

cupra
    Free Member

All questions are easy….. if you know the answer.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

News from the US is often treated with almost equal standing as news from the UK.

“So what? Have you seen the coverage the UK gets in countries like India and Australia?”

So what ? Well, we are not the United States ……. if that needs explaining. There is no reason at all why news from the US should get so much prominence. And it often enters the realms of ridiculous with even inclement weather in the US getting completely totally disproportionate coverage.

Sometimes even just the “threat” of inclement weather in the US gets a high billing on UK news. For example, a particularly nasty hurricane can rip through the Caribbean without getting any coverage at all from UK news providers, despite the fact that many people in the UK have very strong links with the Caribbean and would be concerned about relatives and friends. But as soon as the hurricane starts to threaten the US coast it suddenly becomes news worthy.

And I would expect news of the UK to get fairly high coverage in countries like India and Australia because a great deal of people in those Commonwealth countries have relatives and friends in the UK.

I’d kind of expect most people in the US have heard of a UK City with a population of 11,500.

Stoke-on-Trent has a population of almost half a million. Ask the average American whether it’s Stoke-on-Thames, Stoke-on-Tyne, Stoke-on-Trent, or Stoke-upon-Sea, and I am absolutely sure that they would not have the slightest idea.

Don’t ever underestimate just how clueless your average American can be :

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3eS1zwfZQ0&feature=related[/video]

Of course not all Americans are so ill-informed and dumb, as the kid proves. And besides, she’s pretty and has lovely teeth, so I don’t think it’s really much of an issue here.

Stoner
    Free Member

We need to get you a decent thread to get stuck in to Ernie. Or Laid.

*back in a mo*

EDIT:

Here you go GG http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/arm-the-fuzz-now

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘How can people be so clueless !!!!’ is closed to new replies.