Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How can iPlayer be so bad on Sony Bravia
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

The iPlayer on our smart TV is so bad that if for what ever reason the wifi / broadband connection goes whilst watching a program the software experiences unrecoverable fault and you have to exit out of the app and restart it.

Now, being a software dev I’d have thought the smart thing to do would be just to periodically check the connection so you can resume. Seems that if the connection goes once then it’s game over.

Rant over.

mtbfix

How old is your telly? Our Bravia is about 5 years old now and clunky as you like in terms of user interface etc.

mattyfez

Sellotape a raspberry pie tt the back of your telly.. Instant smart tv.

mtbfix

Or plug a youview box in.

flanagaj
    Free Member

I agree that a YouView box is probably a better bet. The TV is only 3 years old, but you are at the mercy of Sony for software updates.

butcher

Our is the same. I’d say about 50% of the time, if I go to watch iPlayer, it doesn’t work.

Stoner
    Free Member

Not had a problem on our two bravias. However I prefer to drive iplayer from my tablet using a chromecast.

My boys use the bravia iplayer everyday without complaint.

Have you refreshed Internet content in the settings menu to ensure you’re up to date?

mattyfez

That’s a good point.. Can you flash the firmware to a more up to date version?

kimbers

We use chromecast from the phones or tablet or ps3 for iPlayer, our Sony TV is dumb tho !

simon_g

Our Sony is about that old, and I gave up on the built-in apps a long time ago.

Amazon Fire Stick at £35 does a massively better job for iPlayer, Netflix and (as you’d expect) Amazon Video. You can also bin the included remote and just control it from your Sony one, it does it all through the HDMI connection.

Youview is also great, definitely worth considering if your viewing is mostly based around UK TV as it supports all the catch-up services. No need to get via BT, just buy the box separately, it all works fine except for the BT subscription services that are easy to avoid.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How can iPlayer be so bad on Sony Bravia’ is closed to new replies.