Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • How can i work out ebay selling fee ?
  • weeksy

I’ve got a bike up for sale and have been offered £1100 through ebay for it.. Any ideas what they’d charge me if I do through the Bay ?

(ignore PP fees for now)

paulosoxo
    Free Member

They’re what you’d expect them to be. +15%

weeksy

£10% I rekon ? unless I’ve missed something in recent changes etc.

weeksy

Super, thanks £109.93

Would be better splitting that with the buyer 🙂

russjp
    Free Member

When I buy something from ebay I’d only pay the winning bid price, any other fees aren’t my problem or issue. Just saying

jonk

If you go outside of Ebay knock £50 off to sweeten the deal for the buyer

br
    Free Member

Would be better splitting that with the buyer

Sure, also known as fraud…

kayla1
    Free Member

Stick a mobile number in a high value ad, if a buyer puts a serious offer in ask them to text an email address to that mobile number (cos ebay blocks email addresses in their stupid message system) and send the buyer an invoice for the agreed amount. The buyer still has ‘protection’ by using paypal and you get to circumvent a 10%-sized bending over from ebay 😀 I’ve sold a few high(ish) value motorcycle parts this way recently. Obviously this needs the buyer to agree to purchase off ebay first, but you can make it more agreeable by offering to split the saving on the final value fee.

I always make sure I take good photos before, during and after packaging a high value item and email the buyer the photos to cover myself against possible ’empty box’ scams.

edit- dunno how offering to go halves on the saving by selling outside ebay could be considered ‘fraud’, like 😕

cp

Making use of the huge audience eBay has generated born you then bypassing the system?

EBay fees are pretty reasonable IMO for the service you’re getting.

kayla1
    Free Member

But you pay an initial listing fee and/or monthly subscription to ebay, surely that is payment enough? What happens if you have an item that is for sale on ebay and also advertised on Gumtree for the same price, say, and sells via that route rather than through ebay meaning you have to end the ebay listing early- is that also ‘fraud’?

njee20
    Free Member

But you pay an initial listing fee and/or monthly subscription to ebay, surely that is payment enough?

Most listings are free now. Sold a car las week and they was £10 to list, but only 3% final selling fees.

I don’t get the eBay bashing, their fees are reasonable IMO and you access way more people.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Super, thanks £109.93

Would be better splitting that with the buyer

Your cost of sale isn’t the buyers problem.

weeksy

Your cost of sale isn’t the buyers problem.

Sorry, are we back to the ‘holier than thou’ version of STW again… It seems so.

I don’t honestly care what some people think. If I can make it £50 more for me and £50 less for my buyer, then I’m happy with that scenario.

kayla1
    Free Member

I don’t honestly care what some people think. If I can make it £50 more for me and £50 less for my buyer, then I’m happy with that scenario

I’d imagine the buyer would be happier too, unless they’ve got a carbon fibre broomshank up their bum like some of the people on here 😆

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Weeksy, reading between the lines do you have it as a buy it now/best offer?
    And you had a offer?

if so, I am sure most people on here would have a min sell price and then take account of fees, so going back with a counter price of a extra £50 would not be that bad, just don’t tell them it to cover the fees.

If its a auction highest price wins then fees your prob

br
    Free Member

Sorry, are we back to the ‘holier than thou’ version of STW again… It seems so.

I don’t honestly care what some people think. If I can make it £50 more for me and £50 less for my buyer, then I’m happy with that scenario.

Nothing to do with ‘holier than thou’.

It’s just that you by selling on ebay agreed to their contract terms, and now having got the benefit don’t want to pay – just tells STW that your handshake/word isn’t worth the paper it isn’t written on… 🙄

weeksy

just tells STW that your handshake/word isn’t worth the paper it isn’t written on…

Lol apart from sitting here laughing, I have no reply to that.. I can’t even think of one worthy

Jamie
    Free Member

Lol apart from sitting here laughing, I have no reply to that.. I can’t even think of one worthy

To be fair, even if you could give a reply, it wouldn’t be worth the paper it was written on.

breadcrumb

A mate of mine had a bike listed on eBay but agreed a price out of eBay.

He finished the auction and eBay took a percentage of that.

Jamie
    Free Member

He finished the auction and eBay took a percentage of that.

So he ended the auction, due to item no longer for sale, error in listing etc, and eBay charged him? A percentage of what exactly?

jota180
    Free Member

Stick a mobile number in a high value ad, if a buyer puts a serious offer in ask them to text an email address to that mobile number (cos ebay blocks email addresses in their stupid message system) and send the buyer an invoice for the agreed amount. The buyer still has ‘protection’ by using paypal and you get to circumvent a 10%-sized bending over from ebay I’ve sold a few high(ish) value motorcycle parts this way recently. Obviously this needs the buyer to agree to purchase off ebay first, but you can make it more agreeable by offering to split the saving on the final value fee.

TBH – I’d back away from that unless it was a COD/collection job

marky29er
    Free Member

Of course its collection for high value items. I use ebay as a shopfront. The buyers contacts you via ebay, agrees a price outside, collects & pays cash then we mutually cancel the transaction, and they get a small amount off.
    Obviously this does not work on postage items, so ebay get their fee’s off me from them.
    I certianly dont feel guilty misusing ebay after the amount they have had off me in the past.

breadcrumb

So he ended the auction, due to item no longer for sale, error in listing etc, and eBay charged him? A percentage of what exactly?

I think it was at £180ish when he ended it, mid auction and eBay took 10% of that. He thinks they knew he had agreed a sale through eBay’s messaging system? I’ll ask him next time I see him.

kayla1
    Free Member

Ebay now take a percantage of the final price regardless of whether the listing ran its full length or not for auction type listings, ie if you end an item that has been bid up to £150 you will pay a percentage of that amount.

They take a final value fee for fixed price listings (with or without ‘best offer) only if they are bought through ebay.

They charge for ‘classified’ type ads (for bikes and cars) but there’s no final value fee as the sales aren’t concluded through ebay.

I don’t know if there’s a listing fee for auctions or not as I haven’t auctioned anything for ages as it’s too much of a PITA to deal with auction ‘winners’.

Jamie
    Free Member

I think it was at £180ish when he ended it, mid auction and eBay took 10% of that. He thinks they knew he had agreed a sale through eBay’s messaging system? I’ll ask him next time I see him.

Would be interesting to hear.

With eBay you can agree to sell to the highest bigger and end the auction early, so if he did that he would have incurred the 10% Final Value Fee. If he had ended the auction, for the reasons I gave previously, and then just sold to the buyer as a private sale. Then I can see no way in which eBay could extract a fee.

breadcrumb

I thought it odd too, he’s not new to buying and selling though so I’m not sure how it happened.

kayla1
    Free Member

With eBay you can agree to sell to the highest bigger and end the auction early, so if he did that he would have incurred the 10% Final Value Fee. If he had ended the auction, for the reasons I gave previously, and then just sold to the buyer as a private sale. Then I can see no way in which eBay could extract a fee.

Ebay changed the selling agreement recently to ‘catch’ this. Any item in an auction type listing is subject to a final value fee regardless of whether the auction ran the distance or not. If you’ve got a bike, say, advertised on Gumtree and want to list it on ebay as well it would be better to list it with a fixed price and best offer than run an auction as you’d only pay the initial listing fee and no final value fee. I’m sure they’ll find a way to shaft sellers doing it that way soon though, under the auspices of ‘improving the ebay experience’.

Jamie
    Free Member

Ebay changed the selling agreement recently to ‘catch’ this. Any item in an auction type listing is subject to a final value fee regardless of whether the auction ran the distance or not. If you’ve got a bike, say, advertised on Gumtree and want to list it on ebay as well it would be better to list it with a fixed price and best offer than run an auction as you’d only pay the initial listing fee and no final value fee. I’m sure they’ll find a way to shaft sellers doing it that way soon though, under the auspices of ‘improving the ebay experience’.

Oh, really? Well, that explains that, Breadcrumb. Guess I am out the loop.

Seems a touch harsh for those who list, and genuinely have to end the auction.

breadcrumb

That’ll be it then.

I think he sold another bike out of eBay, that was also listed on eBay but this time put a ridiculously high price (or reserve) on it on the eBay listing rather than remove it.

kayla1
    Free Member

Seems a touch harsh for those who list, and genuinely have to end the auction.

Since when did big commerce have a conscience? This is why I have absolutely no compunction in f-ing ebay over at every opportunity, ironically.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘How can i work out ebay selling fee ?’ is closed to new replies.