Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • How can I test a PC PSU? And PC build troubleshooting help!
  • psychle
    Free Member

My PC has packed it in again… now giving me an error code that means ‘check cpu core voltage’. I’ve tried clearing the CMOS via the reset button and also by removing the mobo battery and changing the jumper switch to reset as well, leaving it for 30min or so before setting it all back up, no luck… so something’s gone wrong I guess 🙁

I’m getting power to the motherboard (as indicated by LED’s, the fans spinning up, inc the GPU, and the fact it powers on initially in the first place, though hangs immediately). Any ideas on what I can do to try and get it going again?

Tempted to buy a spanking new X58 mobo and i7 processor (currently running a Q6600, which is still serving me well tbh…) but really should figure out what’s wrong with this setup first I guess 😆

Cougar

The trouble with stuff like this is it’s hard to pin down without either a donor PC to swap out parts with, or proper test gear. Could check that the ATX12V connector (“P4 connector”) or equivalent hasn’t come adrift before you reach for the plastic I suppose.

anjs
    Free Member

Test PSU output using a multimetre. Would also check that the cooler is on the CPU straight and the thermal compound is still good

Dino
    Free Member

My local pc shop has a test rig which checks all the rail voltages off the psu.
    Also places the psu on load to seem which one of the rail voltages buggers off,
    do u have a good local shop?
    take em some biscuits or buy something off them etc for a favour

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘How can I test a PC PSU? And PC build troubleshooting help!’ is closed to new replies.