Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • How can I run a singlespeed (KMC Z610RB) chain with a DMR conversion kit?
  • RoganJosh
    Free Member

I have bought a DMR conversion kit, and I have a singlespeed chain at home brand new, but I have realised that the DMR kit is for geared chains, will this work or should I return it?

Cheers

kayak23

No, it’ll work I’m pretty sure. I ran a bmx chain on my singlespeed jump bike with the same sprocket. It will be fine I think, however, those dmr tensioners are horrible Heath Robinson things IMHO.
    A neater way to do it is by using a lower chainguide, such as the lower part of this Truvativ one…

…and adjusting the guide upwards to take out the slack, tightening the guide bolts through the chainring. This of course only works with iscg tabs.
    Like this!

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I was thinking it may have been the roller in the tensioner that was too narrow for an ss chain. Glad to know the sprocket should be fine though, i’ll see when I fit it!

RoganJosh
    Free Member

And no iscg tabs 🙁

pictonroad

The roller is a smidgen too narrow for a single speed chain. I did just as you are suggesting and thought it would wear. It didn’t, the DMR roller is made of magic super tough but soft rubber. However once I’d ridden it a few miles it’s obvious how much needs to be taken off and 5 mins with a sharp penknife sorted it.

The tensioner was fine for a while but id did slip eventually leading to:

SSUK Gathering 2013 by pictonroad, on Flickr

If you can stop it slipping then it’ll be fine.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Great, cheers both of you, I’ll give it a Bodger and see how it goes!

P.s. impressed with the engineering of that fix! Good effort.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘How can I run a singlespeed (KMC Z610RB) chain with a DMR conversion kit?’ is closed to new replies.