Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • How can I remove a collapsed bearing?- photos.
  • Wally

All that is in there is the outer bearing sleave.
    Do I use a sharp flat screwdriver and bash out from the back?

Is what I want to achieve.

This must have happened to someone else on here. What is the “prefered method of attack?”

ziggy
    Free Member

Is that a swing arm I presume?

Dunk in boiling hot water for a few minutes, then try and drift out.

Failing that you need a spigot bearing puller, just managed to get my hands on one at last, will cost £50 though.

robhughes
    Free Member

yep.just tap it out.
    just go round in about 5mm gaps.

Wally

Boiling water – Am I not running the risk that the outer race will expand more than the swingarm?
    But if I have difficulties drifting – a dunking I will go.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

If you have one of those expanding metal rawl bolts for mounting stuff like ground anchors in concrete, then you can screw the bolt into the expanding rawl plug. The expanding plug will wedge itself in the bearing sleeve grooves and you can then tap the bolt out, taking the bearing with it.

Something like one of these:

Probably haven’t explained it very well, but its a lot easier than trying to get a screw driver in from the other side?

Wally

mtbtomo – I like the cut of your jib.
    I do have one of those and will give it a go tomorrow.

ziggy
    Free Member

I don’t know the physics of how boiling water affects different materials but I do know it works.

robhughes
    Free Member

mtbtomo.
    well impressed with that idea.
    i work in the building trade and got plenty on them lying around.
    Have to remember that one…hat,s off mate..

retro83
    Free Member

how are you planning to drift it out? Isn’t that lip in the way?

Borrowing a bearing puller might be the easiest way forward…

nickc

yep.just tap it out.

ho ho…

Like the expanding bolt idea, might go and get one of those…just in case

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

if you heat it the alloy expands more than the steel at the same temp – so the hotter you get it the looser the fit

a rag tied around it then boiling water – or dunk it in boiling water

Wally

I am going to hot hair dryer the frame, compressed air canister upside down the outer bearing race and then use the expanding bolt.
    Many thanks for all the tips.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Dremmel the race twice and it will just fall out… Careful though!

kaesae
    Free Member

Giant anthem reign or trance trame 05 to 07, more likely a reign or trance and a 63800 bearing that has collapsed JNK brand. upper rear triangle pivot point that connects to the rocker/triangular linkage plate?

kaesae
    Free Member

If the other techniques fail try this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUOkEtQ8iSw

Yes I know the guide is rubbish.

Wally

All correct Kaesae – Is this a common issue?
    found a thread about it just now.
    Lastly is it worth changing all the bearings?
    Ordered 2 of the 6380RS from CRC £10.

kaesae
    Free Member

I have those bearings here in a very good brand, I upgraded all of my bearings on the giant frames even on my budget bearing kits to performance bearings in those pivots.

It is very common, the anthems are worse but your reign or trance is also prone, anything over about 2 years and more likely than not it will happen.

What brand are the bearings CRC are selling you? you could end up in the exact same possition next time you change them.

flamejob
    Free Member

+1 For the Dremel

Wally

Enduro max

kaesae
    Free Member

Yeah, those are a good bearing, maybe not too good for £10 for 2 but you won’t have to worry too much about them collapsing. They come with a teflon based grease most of the time white in colour, some have a blue grease. Although occasinally they don’t have much grease in them, as for changing all the bearings.

The most basic check is simply to run the frame through it’s travel, however to check a bit more thoroughly you have to manually rotate the bearings. Remove the bolts and through axles and put you finger in the smaller inner / bore race and rotate the bearings.

As for replacing all of the bearings. Maybe you should, does anyone else own a 2005 to 2007 giant reign or trance and would they like to help me out with testing enduro max bearing VS my standard bearing range?

No point putting them up against my performance bearings but my standard range should be a good competition.

Anyone reading this have one of these frames and want a free bearing kit on condition you let us know how you get on with it.

robhughes
    Free Member

Hey kaesae.how ya doing.still giving out sound advice i see. 😉

Wally

Mail me a price for the other bearings
    4x 6902-2RS and 2×6900-2RS

Very happy to paypal gift you tonight.
    Putting email in profile now.
    Ebay worked out at £14 – but unknown quality.

kaesae
    Free Member

It’s a common problem and is a pain when you’re showing people how to service frames.

Split collette in action, if you live near Edinburgh I can have that out with my bearing puller in about 2 minutes.

Off to bed, email me and I’ll sort you out with some bearings. I’m testing them just now anyway so I can give you some for free.

Wally

Nighty night – Mail me.
    2nd video made it all click into place – until then I could not work out why the thread had to be hollow, obvious now.

robhughes
    Free Member

the trance kit you sent me down are still smooth as silk mate
    can fully recommend kaesae,s bearing kit,s for the giants.
    just in a different league to the stock ones.
    after spot on advice of him i changed all of them on my 08 trance x.
    every one was ropey as ****.get them all out a.s.a.p. it makes a world of difference.

kaesae
    Free Member

Don’t run the rubbish on ebay they collapse all the time, worse than the JNK brand you already have, I have a bearing range that is specific to MTB’s. you can have 4 of the 6902 2rs and 2 of the 6900 2rs for free.

Since I’m sick of feebay and I’m supplying companies rather than selling direct, giving away a few for people to test is fine by me.

Bearing kit run tomorrow, if you send me your address they will be in the post and should arrive thursday / friday.

If you can let me know how you get on with them that will be fine.

Anyone running my bearings who could recomend them?

kaesae
    Free Member

My bearing range Rob, I’m selling up mate. more money less hassle and I get a quiet life.

Already talking to loads of companies, I wanted to sell direct and keep the price down but I spent 2 years on them and simply want to rest and let my back heal.

Still a lot of companies are testing them and I reckon they will out last the enduro max bearings.

At half the price, they have better seals and a very tough grease. sucks to let my dream go but I want my own house and I’m sick of being skint.

F@ck it! Anyone want to test out my super duper bearings for me? send me an email and I’ll tell you if I have your kit in stock.

Kael.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘How can I remove a collapsed bearing?- photos.’ is closed to new replies.