• This topic has 8 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by passcovery-spam.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • How can I open a password protected MS word file
  • stevego
    Free Member

I’ve got some old password protected files (high school science exams)that were put together 6 or so years ago and some twit (possibly me) didn’t write down the password. Is there any easy way to open them now removing the password protection? Learnt my lesson to always record passwords for ald files somewhere obvious. Any help appreciated.

poly
    Free Member

It is possible, there are various paid services and tools, but there are also some free brute force tools that work on some problems – depending on file type (doc or docx) and if it is the Open or Edit password. I think the one I have used with reasonable success is called “CrackIT” but speed will depend on your computer, how long the password is and if you are able to remember if you might have mixed case, numbers, symbols etc.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

what age of word were you using at the time? .docx is an xml format so there are some ‘opions’ available to you.

iain1775
    Free Member

Not sure if it works in Word but it does in excel
    If you have a gmail account email it to yourself, open it in google docs and then export as an excel (or in your case word) file

m0rk
    Free Member

I used to be able to just open them in open office.

Good trick with google docs if it works!

stevego
    Free Member

The google docs one didn’t work unfortunately, found a hard copy so will just OCR scan it in and get an editable word doc that way.

bearnecessities

I’ve edited password protected ms docs in the past by embedding them within other docs (can’t remember whether excel embedded in word or visa versa and it would have been around 2002 software).

Worth a shot?!

beanum

We use Accent Office password recovery here at work. It works well but we did pay for it. I think you can download a free trial that will tell you if the password can be cracked (if you pay…)

rewski
    Free Member

I seem to recall being able to import text into quark or indesign, got shed loads of code first but the text was there, it was a long time ago so may have used other software, it was back in the days of zip drives, worth trying though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘How can I open a password protected MS word file’ is closed to new replies.