Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • How can I mount a non metallic allen key holder on a metallic surface?
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I have a set of t-handled allen keys that came with a metal holder. The metal holder isn’t metallic but I would like to mount it on the side of my roll cabinet. I could either rivet or bolt it on I guess but would prefer a non permanent fix so I can move it to either side of the roll cab depending on where I’m working in the garage.

I have a couple of other things on the roll cab that came with big magnets glued to the back of them so if I could get hold of a couple of them that could work – if I could find a suitable glue to stick them on.

I’ve tried a few small molybdenum magnets I had but they weren’t strong enough to hold the weight.

any other ideas?

daftvader
    Free Member

Axminster tools do a pack of magnets with holes so they can be bolted on to the Allen key holder….linky

Stoner
    Free Member

Get a welding magnet and stick/rivet that to the bit holder

Dibbs
    Free Member

Those Axminster ones are only 8mm, I suspect you’d have to use quite a few.
    Last time I looked there was loads of choice on eBay.
    I saw some at work the other night that would have been ideal (about 30mm diameter with a hole in the center), can’t for the life of me remember where.

Edit: This sort of thing link

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

The metal holder isn’t metallic? Really?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yes, really. I thought that was odd too.

Those 30mm ones on ebay should do the job as long as they’re as strong as they say they are. Although these may be better one either side of the metal to stick them together then stick to the roll cab.

scrumfled
    Free Member

This stuff is pretty good: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-A4-Self-Adhesive-Magnetic-Sheets-0-85mm-Extra-Sticky-Strong-Flexible-Car-Sign-/331506156457?hash=item4d2f4e83a9:g:8psAAOSwEeFVBhKa

I’d avoid rare earth magnets, they tend to be pretty brittle and sooner or later you forget and let them ‘snap’ onto a surface, which then results in lots of small magnetic crap stuck to everything.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Do you reckon that would be strong enough to take the weight – there’s 8 t-handled keys so although not heavy it would need to be pretty sticky.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Sticky back Velcro will do the trick I should imagine

Gary_M
    Free Member

Sticky back Velcro will do the trick I should imagine

Don’t think it would, it’s too heavy.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Hot melt glue gun? Very strong and when you want to remove it just make it hot again (boiling water).

stumpy01

Mashed up Weetabix with milk – always dries absolutely rock solid to my cereal bowl – so mix some up, daub a thin layer onto the surfaces & press together. You might need something to hold it in place while the Weetabix dries.

As above for the hot melt glue – hot water will eventually remove if you decide you don’t want them there at a later day (may take days of soaking in boiling hot water though)…….

MrOvershoot

I presume you mean the holder is non ferrous so not magnetic?

You can buy strip magnetic tool holders pretty cheaply so just bolt one to the back of your Hex key rack and then you can stick it to your tool cabinet

irelanst
    Free Member

I could either rivet or bolt it on I guess but would prefer a non permanent fix

Gary_M
    Free Member

I presume you mean the holder is non ferrous so not magnetic?

No I mean it’s not got any magnets stuck on it, any magnetic tape.

Whilst Weetabix and hot glue gun are readily available they don’t fit the criteria ‘non permanent fix so I can move it to either side of the roll cab depending on where I’m working’ 🙂

If I was buying a magnetic tool rail I would just use that rather than bolting the holder it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Does it have screw holes on the back of it?

irelanst
    Free Member

Threaded inserts and bolts in both sides of the cabinet, Key hole slots in the holder so it can be lifted off and positioned on the other side.

zilog6128

I got some tiny neodymium magnets off eBay for a job once. They were only 3mm or so but ludicrously strong. Very cheap as well. I reckon a few slightly bigger ones superglued to the back of the holder would do the job fine.

unovolo
    Free Member

If you have any old computer harddrives kicking about break one down and use the magnets from that.

Hot glue or araldite them to your Allen key holder and your away.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘How can I mount a non metallic allen key holder on a metallic surface?’ is closed to new replies.