Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • How can I help heal a damaged muscle
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Injury is classed as “stressing” the body, many of the treatments used for elite athletes are applied to injured/convalescing individuals, such as increased calorie intake while the body repairs itself. For Joe Public in the street I’m sure it makes no odds, but if you’re churning out serious miles a day and need faster recovery or are injured you need all the help you can get.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Source?

see ‘cell biology’

Is it me or do the posts from SFB seem like they are touching the envelope of truth just to get a reaction from people.

I express routine scepticism for unsubstantiated claims

IHN

just to get a reaction from people

Who, SFB? Never…

Ignore him, he’ll hopefully go back under his bridge.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

you need all the help you can get.

ie shamans, magic amulets, magnets, copper bracelets, prayer, ground up parts of endangered species, crystals etc ??

coffeeking
    Free Member

More evidence, this time done in non-excercising/stressed people…

http://tinyurl.com/cmjexe

“Postexercise protein intake enhances whole-body and leg protein accretion in humans”…..

Results: Compared to NO, SUPP did not alter leg or whole-body protein homeostasis during the recovery period. In contrast, SUPP+PRO increased plasma essential amino acids 33%, leg fractional extraction of phenylalanine 4-fold, leg uptake of glucose 3.5-fold, and leg and whole-body protein synthesis 6-fold and 15%, respectively. Whereas postexercise intake of either NO or SUPP resulted in a net leg release of essential amino acids and net loss of whole-body and leg protein, SUPP+PRO resulted in a net leg uptake of essential amino acids and net whole-body and leg protein gain.

Conclusions: These findings suggest that the availability of amino acids is more important than the availability of energy for postexercise repair and synthesis of muscle proteins.”

SFB – you-re clearly just trolling now. Cells are not continuously broken down and re-made in the sense you suggest – cells die and are broken down and the waste removed, but cell creation is not by a mechanism re-using the old dead cells, it requires fresh protein intake of the right kind.

Soon you’ll be telling me to believe we were all created and there’s no evidence of evolution.

Must get some work done now, might catch you all later.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Coffeeking – thanks for your input – very interesting.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

whole-body and leg protein

in my imagination my leg is part of my whole body…
    or are we to believe there are special leg proteins ?

Cells are not continuously broken down and re-made in the sense you suggest

this is exactly my understanding and I apologise if I’m wrong

coffeeking
    Free Member

sfb – yes quoting out of context you can make it look silly. Paraphrased it is simply looking at the effect of protein on creation of muscle fibres in a) the legs and b) the whole body. Much like an investigation to see if you can spot-lose fat, this is an investigation to see if you get area-specific muscle fibre deposits – not that proteins are different from one place to another. I know you’re smart enough to read this correctly so I can only assume you’re taking the P, but it’d be nice if you could admit that for the sake of helping the OP.

Various cells last varying lengths – bone cells last around 22 years before being replaced IIRC, brain cells 30-50. On a day to day basis some will die, some are made in a cycle, but if you are injured or exercise hard lots (same effect) it has been shown that extra protein helps to make up the deficit.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I can only assume you’re taking the P

about leg proteins yes :o)

I was interested to read about bone and brain cells lasting longer, but it’s obviously different for muscles as you can easily see them atrophy if you stop exercising, and I’m sure this is just the normal rate of destruction/replacement – without the replacement bit, which is triggered by demand.

On a day to day basis some will die

the rate quoted on wiki was equivalent to replacing the whole body mass once a year. It would be highly wasteful if the amino acids in dismantled cells were just metabolised, and it’s always been my understanding that they are reused

MTT
    Free Member

Is it me or do the posts from SFB seem like they are touching the envelope of truth just to get a reaction from people.

Nail, head.

He is an irritant. He spoils good threads.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

there’s scepticism, then theres just disagreement with a point for the sake of it.

Me any my housemate both go to the gym regularly (5+ times a week) he eats/drinks protein mix/shakes/bars/solutions, I don’t (although I am partial to (a lot of) steak (regularly), and drink probably over a pint of milk a day so i guess i’ma lready getting an above average ammount fo protein. Now unless the placebo effect can somehow account for the fact his arms are about the 2x the diameter of mine, then IMO the protein is having an impact.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Try swapping his protein powder for talc or dried cheese and see what happens!

MTT
    Free Member

He will choke? 😀

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

He spoils good threads.

what was good about it ? Junk science dressed up as knowledge ?

then IMO the protein is having an impact.

never mind science give us anecdote :o)

aleigh
    Free Member

aleigh informs me that she has

magic hands that heal muscles very well

Now THAT I can relate to :o)

😉

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘How can I help heal a damaged muscle’ is closed to new replies.