Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • How bloody good is Kirroughtree
  • SOAP
    Free Member

Rode the red and 85% of the black today.
    Splendid!

prawny

I thought the red was a bit meh. Black was fantastic from the top of heartbreak hill down but up to mcmoab I wasn’t impressed.

There is (or seemed to be last year) far too many nadgery bits that robbed all your momentum and there wasn’t a huge amount of flow until the white witch and rivendell.

Rode mabie this morning and thought that was similar, I honestly prefer Cannock overall. I just wish the surface was more like Scotland there, also the lower traffic level means it feels a lot more natural up here innit.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ah, the ever elusive ‘flow’.

In other words, ‘I struggled a bit’ 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ricky1
    Free Member

Not been up yet,was going to do the enduro but had no transport to get there,gutted really,might try and get up before the winter kicks in.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother unless the black is open. It’s a good centre without the black, but fantastic with it open.

SOAP
    Free Member

It was tough riding it blind (many dabs) but to nail it clean would be awesome.

joelowden

Nice run round the red today and yesterday was Red with the bits used on the Enduro ; good fun . Especially when you live in N/S 🙂

ndthornton
    Free Member

It’s a bit flat, like all those ones around there. Gentress and Inners – that’s where it’s at

winrya
    Free Member

I honestly prefer Cannock overall

Well I live 45 mins from Cannock and can’t see myself ever riding it again so that’s ruined my desire to give Kirroughtree a go

PrinceJohn

Rode the red and 85% of the black today.
    Splendid!

Of all the places I’ve ridden trail centre wise it’s too close to call between Kirroughtree & Inners as to my favourite

prawny

I did struggle a fair bit, less issue with mabie, think it’s cause my wheels are bigger this year.

Win ram I live 5 mins ride from cannock, I know it’s not great, too busy and the surface can’t cope, but they’ve made really good use of the height they’ve got to work with. Could just do with being a bit more techy.
    It’s the pointlessly difficult rock step ups at Kirri that wind me up.

Still, it’s nice to ride anywhere innit. Love riding my bike I do.

Rscott
    Free Member

I was there around a year ago and loved it the single track flowed briliantly, the techy bits kept me intrested and the climbs made me a little sticky to say the least, I loved it too.

The only bit I struggled with was the bit before moab (boaring but you cant win them all) and Moab its self had a few dabs and eat dirt at the end.

Garry_Lager

I thought the red was a bit meh. Black was fantastic from the top of heartbreak hill down but up to mcmoab I wasn’t impressed.

I remember it like that myself – game of two halves. Going out is a bit pedestrian, few link-up stretches that obv weren’t offering much to the trail builders, up to McMoab and from then on it’s susan-perb.

somafunk

It was tough riding it blind (many dabs) but to nail it clean would be awesome.

Chest Beating Mode Engaged[/b] 😉

I live less than 30 mins from Kirroughtree and used to ride it many times a week, lap after lap after lap on full auto pilot mode and from leaving the car par to arriving back i never put a foot down – i avoided riding McMoab though as it was too awkward on a rigid SS and the chance of a daft slip and leaving most of my skin on the granite or breaking a wrist was too great and it used to spoil my flow/concentration. Under two hours for my 1st red/black lap was a target every time and subsequent laps after that were usually 5/10 mins slower.

I didn’t really work 8 odd years ago so all i did was ride my bike all the time.

These days i struggle to get round the red (old spinal injury) and i gave up on a lap back in June as i crawled up to the Anniversary cairn in my lowest gear and just thought “****-it, this is crap” so i bailed back to the centre and went out for a pootle with the dog instead.

Tiz’ a cracking course to ride flat out though, one of my fastest ever laps was a spring full moon nightride with a bit of frost in the air – One of those rides where you get back to the car and you are shocked/confused as to how you got back there till you realise that you had just rode the entire 31km on auto-pilot – i used to love those rides.

Don’t worry, i now dab (and usually fall over) before leaving the car park 😀

EDiT : I’m lying…..Thinking back to it i did used to dab on the Judgement Slab after the Stairway to Heaven switchback climb, that slab was just about impossible to climb normally.

SOAP
    Free Member

^ To much willy waving knackered your back? 😉

rebel12
    Free Member

I think the problem with Kirroghtree is that it doesen’t seem to have matured that well as a trail.

When I first rode it, around 3 months after opening it was fantastic, the best trail centre I’d ever ridden. The black really takes you out into some proper remote terrain and McMoab is unique. The surface was smooth and flowing, like a big endless roller coaster swooping through the forest.

Went back 2 years ago though with very high expectations but was disappointed that the trail has become so rough and nadgery that any real flow was impossible to attain. The only bit that really flowed any more was the final fast blue section on the approach to the car park.

Surely it’s just a maintainence issue? It could be a great trail again if it was smoothed out a bit like it was in the beginning. Keep all of the features like the slabs and drops of course, just smooth out the bits in between so you can get some proper speed and flow up between the various technical sections.

somafunk

SOAP : Yeah, i guess the weight of my humoungus swinging pendulum of a member was just too much for my spine to cope with, not forgetting my rather large ball sack with the added handicap of a few litres swilling about.

Gawd….I’m surprised i managed to squeeze everything into my lycra shorts 😀

rebel12
    Free Member

Yeah, i guess the weight of my humoungus swinging pendulum of a member was just too much for my spine to cope with

Runs in the family does it?

somafunk

A pic of a bearded man stoking wood?, if i were you i’d clear my search history

rOcKeTdOg

with the added handicap of a few litres swilling about.

Fluid?? Is that where you get your “flow” from?

bullandbladder
    Free Member

“i avoided riding McMoab though as it was too awkward on a rigid SS…”

So not really a full lap without dabbing then? 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ah, I see. Ae is usually too ‘rough’ for folks, now it appears Kirro isn’t smooth enough for the mincers either.

Jesus wept.

rOcKeTdOg

I found Dalbeatie rougher than Ae, my mate did break his hip at Ae though which kinda took the polish off that day

rudedog
    Free Member

joelowden – Member
    Nice run round the red today and yesterday was Red with the bits used on the Enduro ; good fun . Especially when you live in N/S

I used to know a guy called Joe who had a very nice Lowden guitar and lived in NS

rebel12
    Free Member

Ah, I see. Ae is usually too ‘rough’ for folks, now it appears Kirro isn’t smooth enough for the mincers either.

Jesus wept.

Get real, you go to a trail centre to enjoy it and have fun, to play on some features that you just don’t get on natural trails, not to have your teeth shaken out on the flats as well as the downhills.

Why do you think they piste bash the snow in the Alps? A trail centre is an artificial mountain bike piste and should be maintained properly to preserve its flow, not left to degrade (sorry, mature) – that’s what natural trails are for.

joelowden

‘I used to know a guy called Joe who had a very nice Lowden guitar and lived in NS’

Full marks 🙂 Who’s this?

peachos
    Free Member

I rode it again on Sunday for the first time in a few years. It was always my favourite trail centre…and still is. Had loads of flow when I was there, wind must have been blowing in a different direction.

Complaining about it being rough is laughable…

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Get real, you go to a trail centre to enjoy it and have fun, to play on some features that you just don’t get on natural trails, not to have your teeth shaken out on the flats as well as the downhills.

Why do you think they piste bash the snow in the Alps? A trail centre is an artificial mountain bike piste and should be maintained properly to preserve its flow, not left to degrade (sorry, mature) – that’s what natural trails are for.

I reckon that if you think Kirroughtree is rough you need to get real. It’s mostly a red/black trail, it’s not meant to be as smooth as a babys arse. And regardless, it’s not ‘shake your teeth out’ rough either.

FWIW red and black ski pistes don’t have to be groomed either, that’s often why they’re red or black 😉

euans2
    Free Member

Skiing is a far shout from mountain biking! I’d suggest maybe taking up knitting or sticking to blue/green trails. Reds and blacks should be rougher or there really is little point in them being in existence!

rudedog
    Free Member

joelowden – Member

“Full marks Who’s this?”

Rob, I used to do the IT when you worked on the boats – are you still there? I left 3/4 years ago.

prawny

The only bit at Kirri that is too rough is rocky road, and that’s fun.

Riding ae in the morning for the first time, will report back if I think that’s too rough. Thought mabie was fine, and that was on my halfords 29er HT. Did have my first pinch puncture in years though coming down descender bender, only a tiny one, I was at the top of the scorpion before I realised it was going down, I think replacing my rim tape with ghetto tubeless tape kept the air in the tyre that had escaped the tube.

joelowden

yo Rob ; what about ye ? R U on FB?
    Working at Cal-Mac these days 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Can I just post this again ^

Made me laugh!.

Metasequoia

Tarmac it all I say; keep it flowing and real. I too detest bumpy flat bits, it make my wrists all hurty.

prawny

Rode Ae this morning, definitely one for the full sussers.
    Loved the new climb up past the wind farm though, nicest climb I’ve done at a trail centre. The jumps before that were too gnar foe me though, the practice I did at mabie mini x was no help, the take offs were too steep and I papped it.
    I can see why people think it’s too rough, I was taking a bit of a beating, it wouldn’t seem so bad if it wasn’t for the jumps showing you just how too much too slow you’re going.

I was proper mincey slow down omega man, it doesn’t look that loose on YouTube, I could barely hang on.

maxtorque

“lack of flow” = I’m not very good at riding my bike

discuss^^^ 😉

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Kirri needs you to attack the trail to get the most out of it imo. Cruising around won’t cut it. If you do pump and work the trail though I reckon it’s incredibly flowy.

Dalbeattie can be a bit stop start though, not high in the trail flow stakes.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Interesting reading… considering I am moving up that way perhaps 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Capt. check out this too –

Nearby

gonefishin
    Free Member

The black really takes you out into some proper remote terrain

The black route crosses an A road. Twice. That’s a very odd definition of “remote”. Laggan and Golspie are far superior in this respect.

Better riding too in my opinion.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘How bloody good is Kirroughtree’ is closed to new replies.