• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by hooli.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How big should my shed be (design your dream shed)
  • GrunkaLunka
    Free Member

I need to size up a new garden shed / workshop for storing tools, bike maintenance and general hiding from the wife. How big should I go? 3x3m, 4x3m, one floor or two? Any awesome sheds ideas that you think are a must have? Thanks in advance.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Permitted development is 30m2 isn’t it? So 30m2.

molgrips
    Free Member

philjunior
    Free Member

I have a double length garage. It’s too small for bikes, tools and a bit of workshop area, and one day to put my mid life crisis car in it. I need a bigger one to accomplish the latter, so I’d definitely say go big.
    As a caveat, mine could do with some tidying too.

nedrapier

How big would be too big for the garden/yard space you have?

Just a little bit smaller than that.

molgrips
    Free Member

Where’s that story about the huge underground garage built by some guy in Montana or somewhere like that?

nickjb
    Free Member

Permitted development is 30m2 isn’t it? So 30m2.

No. That’s the limit for not needing building regs. Floor area is only really limited by the size of the house plot (Max 50%), its usually the height that makes it need planning

Mines 4mx6m which is a nice size for a workshop but not big enough for bikes and other junk as well. A second floor would be nice.

footflaps

We built one 8m x 4m. Still too small, could easily use twice that size.

woody74

I would go as big as you can. I have just built a 4m x 6m workshop on the back of the house and it’s already pretty full

piemonster

How much garden stuff are you storing? You could have that outside the bike workshop in a lean to design. Keeps the garden mess seperate.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Mine’s currently 5x3m, it’s too small but that’s because I try and use it for storage, woodworking and over winter for the turbo trainer. If it were just for some tool storage and a bit of bike fettling then I reckon it would be fine.

siwhite
    Free Member

Mine is 6m x 3.5m and I could use more space. It only has bikes and tools in it – everything else (garden tools, general storage, child seats, paint etc) is in another shed.

Two sheds is definitely the key – one for nice stuff, the other for all the cr*p you don’t want cluttering up the former.

philjunior
    Free Member

Two sheds is definitely the key – one for nice stuff, the other for all the cr*p you don’t want cluttering up the former.

This would also help me keep sawdust off the bikes…

hooli

No matter how big the shed or garage, you (and your Mrs, mostly your Mrs) will manage to fill it with crap. You can try not to, but it is like trying to avoid gravity.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How big should my shed be (design your dream shed)’ is closed to new replies.