Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How big an area do Fallow Deer roam over ?
  • I’ve seen a white deer in the Wyre Forest several times, always within an area of a few hundred metres, so I assumed it was the same one and didn’t wander far from home.
    A white deer has been found dead about 4km away.
    Is it likely to be the same one ?

cinnamon_girl

/Zulu-Eleven to the Forum please/

I don’t actually know the answer to your question but will have a look in my books a bit later.

The white deer is called ‘menil’ and from memory there is an area in England where they are prevalent. Again I can check my books later.

It’s lovely to see a menil one, a real treat. 🙂

sharki
    Free Member

Fallow herds can cover really large distances within their range.

A bit like having lots of mini territories.

So 4km is well within the area they could cover.

Any obvious cause of death?

It was Muddypuddle who found it.
    Apparently it was away from a road and not too far from houses, so traffic or shooting seem unlikely.

I just thought it was a coincidence that I have only ever seen a white deer in one small area, then this one was found quite some distance away.

I hadn’t heard the name menil before, although I am aware that it is some sort of recessive gene thing and they are not albino.

cinnamon_girl

Apologies but I was getting confused – in Mortimer Forest in Shropshire there is a herd of long haired fallow and these aren’t found anywhere else.

Fallow deer do come in a variety of shades, white is definitely not albino though.

Certainly I am pretty certain that the herds I regularly see in a particular part of Hampshire appear to have a 5 mile radius. Mainly hinds.

Zulu-Eleven is the deer man though.

redthunder
    Free Member

I got my best ever view of a white deer last night just before dusk.
    About 500m from where I’ve seen one a few times before, so probably the same one.
    This time she was in a clearing with her fawn walking slowly away from me, but stopping to look back every now and them.

So that’s a white deer, with her fawn, in the open, with good light and plenty of time to take a picture and I didn’t have my camera with me. 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah you should always have a camera! Get a tough one, fix it to your camelbak and job’s a goodun.

BigJohn

Calm down deer it’s only a ….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Big John, I’m staggered that it took so long to come up with that. I thought someone would buck the trend earlier.

z1ppy

Dug this post out searching about White fallow deer, as we stumbled across a male one today, in Graham’s parish. Had full (palmate) antlers, so wiki says it was at least 3 years old. I was very surprised as I had seen one 3/4 years ago in the same general area, but had read this thread and thought it must be the same one found dead. Though finding out fallow deer are commonly white, was a educating.
    Did try for a picture, and though the camera tried hard, the deer wasn’t being a perfect model, so no success other than some burry images.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How big an area do Fallow Deer roam over ?’ is closed to new replies.