Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • How big a room do you need for a bathroom?
  • JCornford

I'm looking at a few places to do up and one of them has quite a long narrow bathroom which is directly behind the master bedroom and the first thing that springs to mind is to divide it up and have the back section as an en suite and the front as a normal bathroom for any one to use, but I was wondering if there were any experts on here that knew roughly how big an area you would need to do this comfortably?

aP
    Free Member

It depends on what you actually want to put into it, and which compromises you're prepared to make.

Stoner
    Free Member

there are building regs about the clearance you need around a bog.

uplink
    Free Member

I wouldn't like much less that 2x3m

Stoner
    Free Member

Im not 100% sure Part M would or would not apply if you made the bathroom smaller at a cost to the space around the bog.

anyway, I think it might only be applicable to ground floor bog.

fisha
    Free Member

a lot of houses round my way are 2x2m and have a bath along one wall and bog + sink. most baths are 1.8m(ish) long to fit into that typical size of wall which you get in the bathrooms.

but if its an ensuite, then you need to decide on what you really need, I'd be looking at a shower, bog n sink.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

YOu can buy mini bathroom pods for ensuites

A quick google gave me This a shower room with bog and sink in 1.1m x 0.9 m You can also get tiny space saving baths and so on

Whether you would actually want to use something that small is another issue

jond
    Free Member

Admittedly I'm not a fan of ensuite bathrooms (in fact, the reverse) – are you gonna be compromising the size of bath in the shared bathroom ? Our predecessors put a short bath in our bathroom (tho' they could probably have kept a longer one with a different layout) and it pisses me off *just a little* – and I'm not *that* tall at 5'10.

(IMO they're a case of estate-agent-tick-box-over-function, I'd rather have more room, and not have a flushing bog near my ear'ole in the middle of the night – we've got a large ensuite bog+shower room and we both use the separate bathroom so we don't wake each other)

steve_b77
    Free Member

Our bathroom isn't very big, with tiles on the wall there's 1800mm between them so enough to get a bath in.

I'd say it's probably 1800×2500, but not much more than that, plenty big enuff really

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

some of the hotel's i've stayed in seem to think you need a 2ft square room.

one hotel in london i could put my feet on the bed whilst sitting on the throne

on a more serious note, our bathroom was 10mm to short for a short bath but we just buried it in the plaster board and tiled up to it, short baths are ok if you have mid taps

BigJohn

I once had a hotel room in France that had a 1m sq shower, with a small basin inset and a wooden slat floor. Lift up the slats to reveal the old-style hole in the floor squat-dump bog.

steve_b77
    Free Member

mrmichaelwright – Member
    some of the hotel's i've stayed in seem to think you need a 2ft square room.

one hotel in london i could put my feet on the bed whilst sitting on the throne

That's just clever planning, it's even better when you can watch tele 😆

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I would go for an en-suite shower room and sink rather than include the toilet. Do you really want a toilet next to your bed? It is nice to walk out of the shower into the bedroom though.

JCornford

Those pods are horrible.

I won't do it if it compromises the space of the main bathroom, but as the whole place is being gutted I thought it might be worth looking at.

Android
    Free Member

I have just put a shower room into one of our bedrooms, its 1.2m wide x 2.8m long. shower goes across the width at the opposite end to the door. We got a 600mm deep bog and basin down the right hand side, works a treat, don't think we could have made it much smaller, but we didnt want to take too much out of the bedroom.

JCornford

Pics?

theotherjonv

I stayed in a hotel one time that had something like one of those pods. I was travelling with an american colleague who was 'american' sized, and at breakfast in the morning he confessed that he'd got in the shower but then to turn around and wash his back he had to get out, turn round and get back in again!

MTT
    Free Member

1600mm square is the minimum for a shower room.

midlifecrashes

House I've just done up is 2270×1450, perfectly adequate. Bath(shower above) vanity unit sink behind head end of bath, bog alongside taps end of bath. I have seen a pic of an Aussie loo with a basin built in on top of the cistern, seems a great idea for tight spaces. Google Caroma Profile if you want to see it.

hang on just found someone is now importing them, looks like my micro ensuite might be back on the cards.
    Caroma eco loo/basin

Android
    Free Member

I'll try and get some pics tonight.

JCornford

Cool, thanks for that.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘How big a room do you need for a bathroom?’ is closed to new replies.