Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • How best to carry food on sportives…..
  • MoreCashThanDash

Well, I did three sportives last year and made the same fundamental error on each one – having religiously drank and nibbled cereal bars for the first half of the ride, on all three events it rained just after the feed stop, and when I put on my waterproof, I couldn't reach the food in my jersey pockets, ignored it, and felt like death by the end as I ran out of energy.

So, apart from splashing out a lot of money on a new waterproof, how do you guys keep food within easy reach to help feed your legs on long rides?

btw, don't book on any rides with my name on the entrants list – it WILL rain

djglover
    Free Member

drive round and leave it in the bushes

druidh
    Free Member

I got one of those "bento boxes" – wee box that attaches to the top tube just behind the stem. Big enough for a couple of cereal bars, some ID etc.

I've also been known to tuck gels into the leg of my lycra shorts. That's where the empty wrappers go too.

jonb
    Free Member

Get a mate to follow you in his car 😉

I can access my pockets with my jacket on but that doesn't help you.

Alternatives are to stop and take food out and put it somewhere else I often tuck half cereal bars into my sleeves if I need to do it in a hurry or into the band on the bottom of my shorts.

Triatheletes have stem bags that sit just beind the stem on the top tube, I am thinking of getting one for the Kielder 100.

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/sb/sbr-sports-bento-box-ironman-black-one-size-.jpg

MoreCashThanDash

Thanks guys – I'd seen people with those bento boxes before but hadn't been able to find what they were called to get one – look ideal.

uplink
    Free Member

I've got one of those bottle cages that can be fixed behind the saddle
    I used it in the past to carry an extra bottle of water – freeing up one of the normal cages for a bottle of energy drink
    I will usually mix a new one up at the food stops
    I also use the leg band of shorts to keep food within easy reach

firestarter
    Free Member

i carry i pannier on one side

charlierevell
    Free Member

Topeak Tri bag (do one with a waterproof cover too!) sits on top tube behind stem. I tend to put bars, gels, jelly babies up my shorts (not for pleasure!) and then its easy to get to them when needed.

allthegear
    Free Member

I just use some masking tape to attach some bits and pieces to the frame – easy to rip off

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I use a running waist belt myself. Works really well for me.
    I tried a top tube bag, but I'm too much of a short arse and my knees kept hitting it.

If it didn't interfere with my knees then that would be preferable.

crikey
    Free Member

Another massive non-problem, like how do I carry enough water…

Just put the food in your pocket and get it out when you need. If this involves pulling up your waterproof, then just pull it up!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Plug it 😯

oldgit
    Free Member

Shove it up the leg of your shorts, or roll the back of your jacket up?

samuri
    Free Member

you can fit quite a large number of bananas and cereal bars in your jacket pockets. Really, you can fit way more in than you'll need. You're a human, not a car. 100 miles takes not huge amount of fuel to cover.

I've done 80+ miles around calderdale on a single small packet of randoms. And I'm just a normal human. You don't need that much food.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dunno, I just ate at the feed stops on the one I did.

Treated it as 3 separate 33mile rides back to back.

1st 33 miles was flat out as I was late starting,

Middle was done at a leisurely pace

Last 33 miles was a mad dash to the Finnish.

Couple of blocks of flapjack, mug of tea and a banana was enough to see me through at each stop. Felt surprisingly good at the end.

Considering my complete lack of preparation (I did one heavy weekend in the peaks to get tones up, but I'd barely ridden in 2 years). And riding the whole distance with only 70psi in the front tire as I was too lazy to top it up. I only had 1 mechanical which was easily fixed, my cleat came loose so had to be screwed back in. All in all, some people take it all too seriously. I was on a cannondale r500 with some shimano r-550 wheels, some second hand shoes and an mtb helmet.

My entire set-up probably cost less than some peoples front wheel. Invariably these people were taking it very seriously!

So just eat what you want, when you want, its all in your head anyway, if I'd ahve thought about the lack of food maybe i'd have been more tired at the end, but i didn't and I got round just fine.

aracer
    Free Member

I've got one of those bottle cages that can be fixed behind the saddle
    I used it in the past to carry an extra bottle of water – freeing up one of the normal cages for a bottle of energy drink

Why do you need an extra bottle to have one as energy drink? I just start with one extra strength energy drink, one water. At rest stops I'll take on a little food and refill my energy drink bottle what's on offer (if there wasn't any made up drink I'd probably carry a sachet). Doing that I tend to only need to take one or two bars or gels out of my pocket – though I've done some without touching my pockets whilst riding at all.

Obviously such a strategy depends on how happy you are liquid feeding – personally I find it easier on the stomach, and don't get too bored over 6 hours or so.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

In addition to your bottles, tape gel packs along the top tube.

Just tear off the tail of the pack and it'll open easily, leaving the tab still taped on the bike.

Easy.

uplink
    Free Member

Why do you need an extra bottle to have one as energy drink?

because I drink a lot of water
    at least a bottle/hour & the food stations are usually just on the limit for me with 2 bottles so I make sure I have enough
    bigger bottles would be the way forward but I can't get them on my current bike

Obviously such a strategy depends on how happy you are liquid feeding – personally I find it easier on the stomach, and don't get too bored over 6 hours or so.

I find I need something savoury so on long days I tend to take a couple of those very small cheeses or a Pepperami

boxelder

crazy-legs

I'm with crikey on this one, another huge non-problem. Use a waterproof with pockets in it or just roll the bottom of the jacket up, pull the food out from the jersey pocket and roll the jacket down again. You're only going to be eating on the flat sections anyway so it's not going to cost you any time.

allthepies
    Free Member

lol @ taping gels to the top tube.

aP
    Free Member

@ allthepies – have you not seen triathletes? Taping gels to the tube has been done for years, in the mid 90s people used to cut up powerbars and stick them onto the top tube (obviously never worked in the uk outside of about a fortnight mid summer).

crazy-legs

Yeah but that's because triathletes are nailing it in an aerodynamic position and generally wear skinsuits with no pockets for easy transition from the swim to the bike. Hence the food on top tube idea.

In a Sportive it doesn't make the blindest bit of difference and it looks rubbish!

aP
    Free Member

I think you'll find the right word is gash.
    I've managed some fairly substantial rides using 2 bottles, some extra drink powder in a pocket, a couple of bars and a couple of gels. If there's a couple of feed stops then grab the nice savoury stuff – and get a fill up of water.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I certainly wouldn't be taping things to my top tube or using ones of them there bags – do you people have no style.

All the food I need goes in my jersey pocket and a few gels tucked up the legs of my shorts. Its pretty much common sense really.

druidh
    Free Member

Loving the typical STW responses.

Edric64
    Free Member

saddle bag or bar bag? or pockets what a daft question by the op can't you think for yourself?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘How best to carry food on sportives…..’ is closed to new replies.