Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • how are these bikes? mongoose maurice FS.
  • racefaceec90

i have been driving myself mad trying to choose my next bike (full sus/road/cx).to be honest,am fed up of wanting a bike that will take me the best part of a year to save for (i already have a duster bike that i’d like to ride/do up).

since i recently bought a bmx (but have now returned to the bike shop/for part exchanging/i was crap/mid life crisis e.t.c) i really liked the simplicity of ss.hence thinking of getting a more suitable ss bike for my non stunt/old fart riding e.t.c.
    i came across this whilst searching
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mongoose/maurice-fs-2012-single-speed-road-bike-ec030529?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

would this be a good introduction to the joys of ss?as mr akrigg seems to have done some of his awesome riding on one,i like the fact that it will be plenty strong enough for a mere mortal like me to ride 😀 am also planning on using it for a bit of off roading too (as well as being my backup bike to my duster).
    what say you ss experts?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Is this a troll?

But seriously, get a road bike. Thats what everyone else is doing. But dont get a £1500 specialized, get a £300 second hand one and ride it everyday.

racefaceec90

er no 😕

munrobiker
    Free Member

It’s a bike for posing around town on and isn’t really suitable for what you want at all.

starsh78
    Free Member

nice cheap fixie never had any issues with mine! just dont try any tricks on it as the wheels are pants!

rp16v
    Free Member

There ar better out there create are on for the money thers always the trusty langster or bowery all can be flat/riser converted if need be

zerocool

They’re all right as far as single speed road bikes go, nothing wrong with them at all. I’ve had a Specialized Langster for 4 years now and ride it in Hertfordshire where I work as there’s no hills worth noting of. I preferred the langster of the 2 as it had a carbon fork, alu frame and was lighter and more up to date.

I even tried it out fixed for a while but realised that was a pretty lame idea (freewheels were invented for a reason).

Although I must point out that when I’m back home at my Bristol/Somerset base I use a proper road bike for anything over a few miles

loum
    Free Member

Your Duster is a better bike.
    I can’t see how you’ll get more enjoyment from this one, and you can only ride one bike at a time.
    If you realy need to go a bit faster on the road, put a pair of slicks or semi slicks on your Duster.
    If you want to go for a singlespeed ride for the experience, just ride without changing gears (or move your gear shifters inwards 6 inches where you can’t reach them).
    I’m not trying to be rude, but I reckon you could be a lot happier riding what you’ve got and having £350 in your pocket than making an unnecesary purchase.

racefaceec90

thanks for the replies 🙂
    some food for thought there.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Get a langster, it’s a proper little pocket rocket. Love mine.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘how are these bikes? mongoose maurice FS.’ is closed to new replies.