• This topic has 67 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • How are Sweden's trains and the quality of things in general so good?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone want to give a job in Sweden? 🙂

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@Brucewee I will perhaps give you a shout when I visit.

@Willard that sounds great. my advice would be just to listen to as much as you can. Swedish radio is on the web, films TV etc. I spent my first two years in virtual silence just listening. Stockholm mtb scene is decent considering what they have. You must have the latest Evil carbon bike and enduro clothes though….

Yeah I remember at uny we learnt about how the age of the infrastructure is a problem for the UK. one example was for those double decker trains they have on the continent. Virtually every single railway bridge in the uk , especially those you find in town and villages is built for a ‘normal’ train to pass under it. the cost of upgrading those is astronomical.

willard

You mean my 2012 Stumpy is not going to cut it? Dammit… Well, I refuse to sell it, so people will have to learn to live with it.

Good advice on radio. I already have my iPad set to Swedish and read Omni. It is slowly makign sense.

BruceWee

I will perhaps give you a shout when I visit.

Aye, do that. I’ll send you an email so you’ve got my address.

molgrips
    Free Member

Virtually every single railway bridge in the uk , especially those you find in town and villages is built for a ‘normal’ train to pass under it. the cost of upgrading those is astronomical.

The tunnels even more so!

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

OK. Go for it. We’re so short of people that we’ve got job ads that have expired with exactly no applicants (the system only keeps them live for 3 months i think). All the groups in my department are between 2 and 4 heads short. Most of which we’ve given up advertising for (only actually got 2 or 3 ads out at the moment). The job i left 2 years ago STILL hasn’t been filled.

https://group.volvocars.com/careers

I reckon unemployment in engineering/technology round here is measured by the actual number of people out of work rather than percentages.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

March 2019 huh?

I guess I could just go live there first. What’s the holiday like in Norway/Sweden then?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

They are good. I can take about 40 days a year off.

And if you’ve got young kids, you might be eligible for some parental days as well.

I did 5-6 week summers and 3-4 week Christmases until our youngest was at school.

molgrips
    Free Member

Highly tempting GM, no salaries on those job posts though.

willard

Dammit ghostlymachinel! Why do you not have IT Security jobs going in Stockholm?!

molgrips
    Free Member

All IT seems to be in Gothenburg. I could handle that.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Depends on the job, but starting wage for experienced engineers will be around 35-38ksek/month. Which in my experience is equivalent to about £50k a year, give or take, when you account for the lower cost of living. My disposable income jumped moving from UK to SWE, despite taking a (significant) paycut.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Why do you not have IT Security jobs going in Stockholm?!

I’m not really an IT person, but isn’t Stockholm considered to be quite a hotbed of IT activity anyway, Skype and Spotify are/were both based there, and i know (quite literally) dozens of IT people who live and work there.

And we’re a Göteborg based company, don’t have a huge amount of anything in Stockholm……..

willard

Yeah, applied to Spotify, but not seen Skype there yet. I have some more applications int he works too. Göteborg is just too far away from the GF for me. Like working for Saab… The commute is possible, but would be a night mare.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I lived in Gothenburg for 3.5 years. Some good riding there.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

just try finding a bar/pub out in the sticks

TBH this is the only thing I miss. Outside of the town’s pubs are few and far between. Those you so find have a duelling banjos atmosphere.

Instead we go to friends/ neighbours, which is far more civilised. And cheaper!

rsl1
    Free Member

I consulted at Volvo for 6 months this year and fell in love with Göteborg and Sweden in general. Come spring I plan to find a job and move there permanently (and yes I’d still be doing it even if I hadn’t met a girl on my second weekend in the city…)

Riding is great there, good enough to have a national enduro round and just 10 minutes from the city centre!

Re trains – I found them incredibly spacious but the Aircon was far too cold otherwise basically the same… Swebus was the way to go for me!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Riding is great there, good enough to have a national enduro round

änggården is good yes , some short but technical nice trails. Delsjön is awesome too. It does get super wet however!

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Jumping in (and taking from the other relocating thread) GM do you guys take on more junior engineers too?

I see you guys Have an Engineering grad programme too. Is that similarly under applied for?
    Probably a good way to go though!

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Yeah. Taking on anyone qualified at the moment. Junior, senior, experienced, graduate……. just apply.
    Though I think graduate entry is closed until the summer. You’d have to check.

jambalaya
    Free Member

When I missed my train connection at Warminster due to a late running service I got a free taxi to Southampton

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Debt bubble
    Housing bubble
    7% nominal gdp and negative rates

Hold on to your hats

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Oh. Grad program is usually fairly full as we pretty much get the pick of the unis on the west coast. Which includes Chalmers locally.
    We also get a load of applications from KTH in Stockholm.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@teamhurtmore
    What are your sources for that? I’d be interesting in doing some reading.

Maybe we should start a club. Move to the Nordics, wait for this to all blow over

rsl1
    Free Member

My impression was that the grad scheme is much, much smaller than the likes of JLR. I think I’m right in saying uni places for vocational type degrees are based on the number of jobs available too?

Yeah ängården is great! I took my Soul and went on the mtbstore rides most Wednesdays. My riding improved so much riding a hardtail on the technical stuff, can’t wait to have a go on the big bike

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Too numerous. But the Riksbsnk has a problem: it’s sbsurd to have negative rates when growth is so strong. But they are trapped by not wanting the krone to strengthen and affordability of mortgages. They are not alone – Australia, Canada, NZ, Korea all caught in same trap. Asset bubble caused by QE

They are trying others policies to calm the housing market but could still get a bit messy the longer they leave it.

DrJ

I am curious about your user name, curiousyellow, living in Sweden and all.

Me too, but I’m not sure I really want to know the answer. Especially if it requires pictures ….

Drac

Was in town and the train got cancelled. Turns out they’ll let me claim my taxi fare into town back! In the UK I’d get my fare back, and that would be it.

My MIL claimed a taxi fare back when her train was cancelled a few months ago, was over 10x the train fare too.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘How are Sweden's trains and the quality of things in general so good?’ is closed to new replies.