Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 170 total)
  • How are PlanetX these days?
  • hora
    Free Member

Ouch. Why?

ruffride
    Free Member

I orded Thursday before 3pm as it said they dispatch same day not recived an no update emails hope its here Monday

njee20
    Free Member

Am I alone in finding Brant’s contributions to this thread more irritating than helpful?!

I got put off ordering bits when folk were getting Schwalbe tyres 100g+ over claimed weight. This doesn’t encourage me!

Euro
    Free Member

Am I alone in finding Brant’s contributions to this thread more irritating than helpful?!

I’d imagine the kind of person who weighs tyres would get upset over the most trivial of things. Cycling really does attract the weirdest of the weird 😀

Lester
    Free Member

Ouch. Why?

sorry for being controversial but im not prepared to say on the forum. Just that i wont be.
    i had another look and ive spent nearer £7,000 with them in the last year, its not always been smooth, but until my recent order of a rockstar it had always been rectified satisfactorily.
    i think although it is an “on lone” store and very good value, they dont notice or recognise a good customer, especially as the order history on your account is kept up to date.
    i reckon i have had about 20 orders with them in the last 14 months

peteandsoo
    Free Member

i ordered a set of forks in the sale and paid for them last saturday. on monday i called them as the order was not showing on my Planet X account and they said that the forks had been allocated to me and would be shipped that day.on thursday i called again as the account status had not changed and was told the same thing. On Saturday I get an email confirming the order being shipped-minutes later an email cancelling the order as they were out of stock? wtf

mrmuddybum
    Free Member

The one I ordered is still available to buy on the website, so i guess they must have found it… I re-ordered from CRC anyway, and it was despatched same day. Just a few quid more expensive.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Sounds like they have IT problems.

MrSmith
    Free Member

what do you expect from market trader type box shifters?
    it’s not a £200 rapha jersey delivered by cycle-courier (do they still do that?) to your canary wharf office on friday afternoon wrapped in pink giro di italia tissue paper.

it’s huge orders of taiwanese carbon and leftover warehouse clearances from manufacturers wanting to shift old stock in bulk once chain reaction have cherry picked the good stuff.

if i were to order anything from them i would think of it like booking an easy jet flight, it’s cheap, they don’t have the staff to deal with any problems so don’t get yourself into a tizz if your order goes wrong.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I had some dealings with Planet X many years ago when buying a bike. I had a long email chain with Dave the boss which was, to put it mildly, chippy and bad-tempered, and left me feeling like I was bothering them for wanting to buy a £2000 bike.

I spoke to Brant about this at the time (he lives locally) and he said “yep – some people just can’t deal with us”.

I’ve no doubt their operation has got slicker since then, but I wonder whether that old culture remains. And even though they don’t say it outright, when your order doesn’t turn up on time, I wonder if they’re thinking “We’re doing you a favour by supplying you with low-priced goods. You’ll get it when you get it.”

Going by the stories on here, there seems to be something amiss in their inventory/shipping operation. A customer-focused business would see the importance of this, drop some money on it and sort it out very quickly, and in the meantime communicate with their customers: “Whoops – sorry we got that wrong. We’re working on it” type of thing, rather than machine-generated “out of stock – order cancelled” emails.

Do you remember when all bike shops were a bit like this? Unless you were a regular on their Sunday “A” ride you were made to feel like you weren’t worthy of their custom? Wiggle and Evans have changed all that by being inclusive and customer-focused (yes I know they don’t always get it right). Cycling has changed and it’s not just a handful of Cat 4 roadies who buy bikes and parts. LBSs have to compete and now employ staff based on their people skills, not just whether they can memorise gear ratios.

If you want to be the type of business that simply bangs out cheap parts with a minimum of fuss, that’s fine, but you have to do that reliably, if you’re not set up for retaining hearts and minds when things go wrong.

Can you imagine the outcry if the experiences on this thread were with Wiggle instead of PX? Jeez – people moan if they don’t get a free packet of sweets in their Wiggle order 🙂

Northwind

MrSmith – Member

if i were to order anything from them i would think of it like booking an easy jet flight, it’s cheap, they don’t have the staff to deal with any problems so don’t get yourself into a tizz if your order goes wrong.

In my experience, they’re like an easyjet which takes you to the wrong country then when you complain claims first that you are wrong and actually you’re in the correct country, then tells you it’s your fault that the plane went to the wrong place, then insists that actually that was where they said they were going and that all the paperwork that says otherwise is “confusing”, and anyway all other airlines would have done the same.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

All my orders have turned up in time, no problems here. I’m addicted to their socks.

But, they will spam your inbox relentlessly.

mike_p
    Free Member

In my experience, they’re like an easyjet which takes you to the wrong country then when you complain claims first that you are wrong and actually you’re in the correct country, then tells you it’s your fault that the plane went to the wrong place, then insists that actually that was where they said they were going and that all the paperwork that says otherwise is “confusing”, and anyway all other airlines would have done the same.

+1, in a nutshell.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Wow, some folk have had weird experiences with Easyjet.

njee20
    Free Member

I’d imagine the kind of person who weighs tyres would get upset over the most trivial of things. Cycling really does attract the weirdest of the weird

Meh, there are two types of Schwalbe tyres – Performance (cheap) and Evo (expensive). Plenty of folk were buying (admittedly discounted) Evos and finding them heavier than Performance ones. Bit like ‘upgrading’ to an XTR group set, but finding it’s actually heavier than the SLX it replaced. Not the end of the world, but enough that I’d not want to go through the obvious rigmarole of returning things. Call me weird though if it makes you feel better.

what do you expect from market trader type box shifters?
    it’s not a £200 rapha jersey delivered by cycle-courier (do they still do that?) to your canary wharf office on friday afternoon wrapped in pink giro di italia tissue paper.

The EasyJet analogy is a good one. They don’t promise the earth, but deliver a very satisfactory service. If they said ‘you’ll get free alcohol, and 72″ of leg room’ you’d be annoyed.

Clearly from this thread PX are struggling to meet the standards they are advertising. If Brant wants to contribute wouldn’t it be better to come on and say ‘yes, sorry, crap innit, we’re really busy, and the automated email to say your order will be late is a great idea, thanks for sticking with us.’

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

From the dog walk in Richmond Park this morning, the entire Rapha stock seemed to be bimbling around the road circuit.

tomtomthepipersson

Crappy customer service and poor after sales in my experience.

They’re good for socks and wooly stuff though.

Lester
    Free Member

they told me i had 3 accounts, as i had used 3 delivery addresses over xmas, mine, work and the girlfriends.
    this is probably one of the reason things go wrong. instead of your name being the account its tour address.
    8 out of 10 of my parcels turned up on time, each of them had a tracking number.
    one, Yodel left a brand new £800 frame in an opened !!! box outside the front door UNSIGNED, with a note saying that it had been left in a safe place, luckily im honest or i could have said it hadnt arrived.

lazybike
    Free Member

They seem to be a bit hit n miss at the moment, okay with a saddle I ordered, then messed up another order…

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Selling anything online should be backed up by excellent customer service by default. There is no excuse. Especially as there are loads of solutions out there to ensure the job is done well.

Euro
    Free Member

Meh, there are two types of Schwalbe tyres – Performance (cheap) and Evo (expensive). Plenty of folk were buying (admittedly discounted) Evos and finding them heavier than Performance ones … Call me weird though if it makes you feel better.

So plenty of folk bought discounted seconds thinking they were bona fide, then were a little sad when they discovered they were heavier than claimed? Them’s the breaks. I can understand the disappointment of not getting what they expected, it’s only natural, but this is the part i can’t fathom – to find out how heavy the tyres are, you need to weigh them. Sounds obvious. Now, a normal person would have no reason to ever weigh a tyre. But, if for some ultra-obscure reason they have to know, they might plop the tyre down on the kitchen scales and look at the reading. 3. That tyre weighs 3. Good. Why was i doing that again?

Simple fact is ‘mmm…I wonder what it’s really supposed to weigh?’ would not cross the mind of a normal person. Sorry, but that makes you officially weird. Even if you have only ever thought about thinking about, that makes you weird.

Believe me when i say i derive no pleasure by informing you of your sickness of the mind. It may be too late now but I meant no offence when applying the label ‘weirdo’ to you (and possibly others*). I don’t believe you are the ‘microwave the hamster’ type of whacko, but the signs are there, and in my expert opinion there is a danger of this escalating and turning into something much more serious. You are on a slippery slope my friend and it might be an idea to grab onto something and haul yourself back before it’s too late. Think of this post as my hand. Now grab it and pull yourself back from the brink!

* The thought of you travelling the country tracking down, then weighing every tyre that left On One depot was so mind-blowingly weird that the only sane conclusion is that you had help. Perhaps a cult or gang, or something. Either way, this problem could be more widespread that anyone could have imagined.

It’s a strange world folks. Be careful out there on the trails. 😀

JoeG
    Free Member

I’ve read that tire weights can vary +/- 10 percent due to factors such as humidity when they are made. So manufacturers published weights need to be taken as an average weight at best.

And softer, tackier rubber is denser than more standard compounds. Thus, some high performance tires can weigh more than other tires of the same model (assuming the same casing and bead).

If the tires are too heavy for you just send them back!

And yes, I have weighed my Floater fatbike tires on my Park digital scale… 😳

atlaz
    Free Member

If the tires are too heavy for you just send them back!

I think the point is, though, that if PX/OnOne have bought tyres from the manufacturer that were cheap because they are overweight, they should publish that on the site not send out tyres that are significantly heavier than advertised.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Tyres always vary a little, they’ll get lighter as you use them :p

brant if you are following this thread would you mind checking out order number SO0456829 ?

I sent back some wheels last week and have not heard anything back since, thanks.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Bought lots of wooly stuf recently, all good. haven’t washed any of it yet though…

scud
    Free Member

Planet X/ On One are shocking in my opinion.

Sent Reverb seat back to them in September as it was faulty, told for first two months they never had it, each time was promised (6 calls) a call back. Had a moan at Brant at here, he took reference , again heard nothing, called them two weeks ago. They state they did receive but had sent it to my old address ( despite writing my new address on the returns form) and they said it had arrived back with them and they would forward to new address, two weeks have passed and still nothing.

Four months and still not got my friggin seatpost!! Bloody awful and a Brants smug comments and look at me in Taiwan/ China Tweets and updates don’t help.

scotroutes

Maybe he’s picking up a new seatpost for you?

hora
    Free Member

When is brant going to release a new album?

Michael Stipe/REM and Brant are exact doubles 😆

scotroutes

I thought he already had?

Basil

Conti cyclocross tyre bought first week of December. Tyre has a deflection in excess of 15mm in a 150mm run.
    No reply from five emails so far.
    Their service is as good as the tyre.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Placed a few orders before Christmas, all good.

Ordered some stuff first thing last Monday, nothing turned up yet. Will be mightily unimpressed if they don’t turn up by the end of this week.

brant
    Free Member

Planet X/ On One are shocking in my opinion.
    Sent Reverb seat back to them in September as it was faulty, told for first two months they never had it, each time was promised (6 calls) a call back. Had a moan at Brant at here, he took reference , again heard nothing, called them two weeks ago. They state they did receive but had sent it to my old address ( despite writing my new address on the returns form) and they said it had arrived back with them and they would forward to new address, two weeks have passed and still nothing.
    Four months and still not got my friggin seatpost!! Bloody awful and a Brants smug comments and look at me in Taiwan/ China Tweets and updates don’t help.

Sorry to hear that.
    Will look into this.

Lester
    Free Member

Brant,
    fair bit to look into on this thread.
    Lester

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Euro – Member
    Meh, there are two types of Schwalbe tyres – Performance (cheap) and Evo (expensive). Plenty of folk were buying (admittedly discounted) Evos and finding them heavier than Performance ones … Call me weird though if it makes you feel better.
    So plenty of folk bought discounted seconds thinking they were bona fide, then were a little sad when they discovered they were heavier than claimed? Them’s the breaks. I can understand the disappointment of not getting what they expected, it’s only natural, but this is the part i can’t fathom – to find out how heavy the tyres are, you need to weigh them. Sounds obvious. Now, a normal person would have no reason to ever weigh a tyre. But, if for some ultra-obscure reason they have to know, they might plop the tyre down on the kitchen scales and look at the reading. 3. That tyre weighs 3. Good. Why was i doing that again?

Simple fact is ‘mmm…I wonder what it’s really supposed to weigh?’ would not cross the mind of a normal person. Sorry, but that makes you officially weird. Even if you have only ever thought about thinking about, that makes you weird.

Believe me when i say i derive no pleasure by informing you of your sickness of the mind. It may be too late now but I meant no offence when applying the label ‘weirdo’ to you (and possibly others*). I don’t believe you are the ‘microwave the hamster’ type of whacko, but the signs are there, and in my expert opinion there is a danger of this escalating and turning into something much more serious. You are on a slippery slope my friend and it might be an idea to grab onto something and haul yourself back before it’s too late. Think of this post as my hand. Now grab it and pull yourself back from the brink!

* The thought of you travelling the country tracking down, then weighing every tyre that left On One depot was so mind-blowingly weird that the only sane conclusion is that you had help. Perhaps a cult or gang, or something. Either way, this problem could be more widespread that anyone could have imagined.

It’s a strange world folks. Be careful out there on the trails.

If you raced xc to the standard of njee you would understand.

ruffride
    Free Member

I got my email yesterday to say its on its way with yodel ? Orded Thursday before 3pm

Spin
    Free Member

Slow would be my response to the OP’s question.

Euro
    Free Member

If you raced xc to the standard of njee you would understand.

I think i’ve got it…

😀

mmac
    Free Member

I’ve usually had very quick delivery from On One, but an order I placed last Monday has only just been posted out. It took them until yesterday to tell me that some of the items in my order were out of stock and then only because I emailed them first. A couple of the out of stock items are still showing as ‘lots in stock’ on their website.

verses

– Placed an order for five items on the 3rd.
    – No response to emails last week.
    – Email received yesterday (13th) to say one item was out of stock and would be refunded.
    – Four items arrive today, one of which doesn’t match the picture on the website, so isn’t what I wanted (admittedly I took a punt that the pic would be correct).
    – No refund received for out of stock item (although it’s only a day since they emailed).

So 11 days to get 3 of the 5 things I wanted…

EDIT: For comparison, I placed an order a couple of days before xmas and received it very quickly…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 170 total)

The topic ‘How are PlanetX these days?’ is closed to new replies.