• This topic has 39 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • How annoying is Apple?
  • globalti
    Free Member

I’ve tried, dammit, I’ve tried but I just cannot get to like our Apple Mac. The flippin’ screen zooms in and out, things appear and disappear, the icons slide off the bottom, the text is weedy and small, there doesn’t seem to be anything logical about the way it works. Is it crap or is it actually brilliant and I’m simply too old and staid?

yossarian
    Free Member

I’m not a huge fan of desktop apple stuff. It’s ok, just different and seems to crash less. Apple phones and tablets are great though.

Jamie
    Free Member

*johndoh/countzero/jambalaya to the the thread please*

jam-bo

I’ll have it if you don’t want it. mines just nuked a hard drive after 6 yrs of good service.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Ipads are great, ios8 update is shiite tho.

How it’s taken them a year to develop such a glitchy update is beyond me, don’t apple test stuff?

dknwhy

I’ve got a Macbook pro retina and I was like that at first but now i’m a convert. For work stuff, I still like my work laptop but for web browsing, media stuff and film editing, the Mac just works.
    don’t have the worry of stupid pop ups, viruses etc either.

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂 Jamie

Are you talking about the regular desktop or certain applications, in my experience things that use MicroSoft Silverlight (ie OS Getamap) do this and it’s very annoying.

Do you have your wrists on the trackpad ?

What text is small ? I find the CMD + and – very easy to zoom text

Icons sliding off the bottom ? You mean the dock bar at the bottom, it’s meant to do that so the screen isn’t cluttered. You might try and use the launchpad button (the one with 6 squares) when you need a programme or just move the cursor to the bottom and it reappers – you can also set special actions for the corners of the screen.

I suggest you go into an Apple store and get a demo or look at some online tutorials, Apple have some good introductory ones.

Good luck

somouk
    Free Member

I tend to lock the dock on to the screen, there is normally a high enough resolution screen and enough screen real estate to do that.

The idea of heading in to apple for a demo could be a good one.

Drac

Very, I mean how dare they install a new battery in my phone within an hour and then not even charge me. Disgusting service.

grum
    Free Member

Is it crap or is it actually brilliant

I know it doesn’t seem that way on the internet – but there are possible positions in between those two extremes.

I can’t stand using Windows now but I’m sure if I got used to it it would be ok. You could try:

zilog6128

I’m simply too old and staid?

This. It works differently to Windows so if you don’t spend some time/effort getting used to it you probably won’t like it. It’s worth the effort though IMO.

toppers3933
    Free Member

It took me a while to get used to how they work but you can alter most things to work how you want them. Zoom and gestures etc are all customisable.

slowoldman

I’m simply too old and staid?

I don’t know but age has nothing to do with it. I’m and old Windows user (and support guy). Prior to that I used DOS and CPM. OS X is better than anything else I’ve used.

Yes there is some weirdness associated with the trackpad and dock, but it’s just familiarity. There are support documents and tutorials on Apple’s site.

globalti
    Free Member

So that’s it, my feelings of despair and frustrated rage when sitting in front of an Apple computer are down to my own idiocy.

zippykona

Why can’t they invent ,right click, take screen shot.
    What’s with all this press f,wiggle your toes and press your nose business?

jools182
    Free Member

don’t like iPhones at all, iPads are good, never tried a mac

jambalaya
    Free Member

Prior to that I used DOS and CPM. OS X is better than anything else I’ve used.

+1 @slow, me too

@jools that’s interesting as I find the two interfaces very similar. Mac’s are not like iOS – not yet anyway.

@globalti – it is different and the touchpad can do wierd stuff if you rest your wrists on it whilst typing for example

geoffj

I’m the op when I have to use windows.
    S’wat your used to innit

wilburt
    Free Member

The flippin’ screen zooms in and out,

Your double tapping the mouse.

Sitck with it once your more familiar osx its better than anything else for most people…IME.

zilog6128

So that’s it, my feelings of despair and frustrated rage when sitting in front of an Apple computer are down to my own idiocy.

Fraid so; the good news is though that acceptance is the first step on the road to enlightenment 🙂

Drac

don’t like iPhones at all, iPads are good

Ermmm! They work pretty much identical.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I have my macbook set up with all the hot corners and touch gestures customised so that even a a seasoned mac laptop user would go WTF if they tried to use it, don’t even use any actual clicks of the trackpad just 1and 2 finger taps and holds without clicking.
    It’s a great system, using a mouse or a clicky button trackpad feels archaic in comparison.

peteimpreza

They did the same for Drac, the bar stewards.

And they fixed the sleep/wake button for free. They had to send it away for this one and only gave me a 16gb loner.

Barstewards I tell ye!!

Oh and they changed ny iPod Nano to a new model for free.

Then there was the time they changed the graphic card on my MacBook Pro three years out of warranty. £400 + worth of parts and labour. FOC.

I mean what sort of service is that? !!

grum
    Free Member

mikewsmith to the thread please. mikewsmith to the thread please.

bikebouy
    Free Member

[quoteHow annoying is Apple?
    23 posts & 19 voices | Started 1 hour ago by globalti[/quote]

Or

[quoteHow annoying are Apple?
    23 posts & 19 voices | Started 1 hour ago by globalti[/quote]

😕

Drac

And they fixed the sleep/wake button for free.

Yeah the **** asked if that was Ok, how dare they ask if there was any other problems.

Oh and they changed ny iPod Nano to a new model for free.

I’m so mentally scarred by that I blocked it out, I mean why would they just swap if for a new shuffle the cheek of it.

What’s even worse is I bet they’ll fix my iPad 2 for the known mic problem too, I forgot it today it had nothing to do with me waiting for the new iPad coming so they run out of spares. *cough*

mboy
    Free Member

Trying (and failing to copy and paste from my iPhone) to post in relation to the iOS 8 post further up being crap…

I’ve been an avid Apple fan for years, have had iPhones since the day the first one was launched back in 2007, been on Mac’s since 2005 and generally love the way they work…

Until now!

My work iMac crashes all the time, goes into sleep mode when it shouldn’t, and generally causes a right PITA most of the time. My iPhone 5 (was about to get a 6 as I’m out of contract but have thought better of it!) was a delight to use… Until iOS 8 came out! 8.0.2 was with us inside about 2 days that’s how bad 8 is, and even then it’s still shocking! Why the hell can I not copy and paste anything any more FFS? Amongst other things, this has caused big issues and led to my iPhone almost being ejected from a window for this first time since I was on a “smart” Nokia in about 2005…

It was a sad day when Steve Jobs passed away, but it’s even sadder that the company he built, then rescued again when they went wayward after his forced departure in the first place, is again looking like becoming complacent and ballsing it all up again! Jobs must be turning in his grave. Sadly for Apple he isn’t likely to be able to rescue them from the mire again!

Drac

Why the hell can I not copy and paste anything any more FFS?

User error?

Posted from my iPhone.

ninfan
    Free Member

I think my only deep and true frustration is that instead of making something 2mm thinner they should give it a longer battery life.

dti

I think my only deep and true frustration is that instead of making something 2mm thinner they should give it a longer battery life. +1

fingerbike
    Free Member

itunes

Drac

I think my only deep and true frustration is that instead of making something 2mm thinner they should give it a longer battery life.

CountZero

Trying (and failing to copy and paste from my iPhone) to post in relation to the iOS 8 post further up being crap…

It’s not universal, but in iOS 8 I’ve been having issues using C’n’p on STW. Highlighting sentences in order to delete them is also shonky; I can highlight, but then the highlighted bit just retracts to a couple of words or so. While there are some things I quite like about iOS 8, like the autocorrect/word selection banner across the top of the keypad, it’s buggy as a very buggy thing from planet buggy!
    And that’s very frustrating.
    It’s possible that it might just be down to the age of my iPad, which is now over two years old, and I think on the limit of OS compatibility, but it’s a bit irksom, certainly.

ninfan
    Free Member

Drac, great – but as we all know, up-to’s and do-do’s do be different creatures

Think how long it could have lasted if they hadn’t made it 2mm thinner, You could go away for the weekend and not need to take a charger!

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ve been having issues using C’n’p on STW

I assume everyone has had the hilarious bug where you try and drag the copy/paste selection up, and the page just scrolls up then crashes.

I think it is time we all started to accept that Apple are getting worse, not better at software.

Look at iCloud, the iOS 8.0.2 debacle, Yosemite looking like a child designed it, iTunes store etc.

Drac

Drac, great – but as we all know, up-to’s and do-do’s do be different creatures

True but they last longer than older versions.

There’s a new battery tech on the horizon so expect better battery life soon.

kimbers

itunes gets worse with every new version

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve tried, dammit, I’ve tried but I just cannot get to like our Apple Mac. The flippin’ screen zooms in and out, things appear and disappear, the icons slide off the bottom, the text is weedy and small, there doesn’t seem to be anything logical about the way it works. Is it crap or is it actually brilliant and I’m simply too old and staid?

Pretty sure all those are customisable behaviours. Give it time for you to adapt. I used both Mac and windows daily for years and the only thing I think I preferred in Win7 was the “drag window to side of screen to split screen between apps” thing

Definitely a problem with cut and paste in ios8 though.

CountZero

I can’t say I have any particular issues with iTunes, and never have done, and I’m really not sure why others do.
    Yosemite? As I’ve yet to actually see it, it’s imposdible to comment, but I’ve used Macs since ’95, OS 9, and they’ve all had their little foibles.
    I hardly ever use my Mac now, and there are some aspects of Mavericks that I struggle with, but that’s purely and simply down to the fact I use it a couple of times a month, and I’m too bloody lazy to spend the time really familiarising myself with all the features.
    I really like the Dock disappearing when not in use, it cleans up screen space.
    Having said that, it’s a 40″ Sony Bravia, so space is really hardly an issue. 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

and I’m really not sure why others do.

…because you are, and I hate the term but it applies here, an Apple fanboy, CZ 😛

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘How annoying is Apple?’ is closed to new replies.