Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • How about a WHW MTB race?
  • glupton1976
    Free Member

Seems to be a bit of an increase in the people doing the WHW on a mtb recently. How about we set up some sort of mtb version of the running race?

OR if people felt inclined how about a WHW double race?

What would be involved in arranging such a thing?

druidh
    Free Member

Just do it and set your time on strava 🙂

The toughest part of trying to organise it as an event will be getting all the bikes back from FW. That – and the whole legality of actually racing on the public highway of course.

trekstar
    Free Member

There is no way you would get permission to organise that.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Trek star +1

glupton1976
    Free Member

Instead of saying that there’s no way I’d get permission to organise it, say why or say nothing.

The Selkirk Merida uses part of a long distance walking path, and you can call it whatever type of event you want to, but it’s definitely a race.

d45yth
    Free Member

Think you can do the double in less than 34h 27m? Do it as an ITT. Check out Self-supported UK.

chugg08

The Caledonian Challenge uses the northern half of the WHW every year for 1,000 or so runners and walkers. They have numerous manned support areas, supported by the Army and other sponsors(Event Scotland?).

Other than the potentially crippling insurance costs I don’t see why it couldn’t be done (but then again I’ve no experience of organising a mass event like this). Any of the guys from No Fuss on here?

theblackmount
    Free Member

>The toughest part of trying to organise it as an event will be getting all the bikes back from FW.<

Really?

No seeing much of a problem myself – perfect opportunity for Scotrail to get in on the action and lay on a special train to ship everyone back with a couple of container cars for the bikes.

kcr
    Free Member

No Fuss have already used part of the WHW for the Tour de Ben Nevis.
    I think running an MTB race over the whole route would be difficult if large numbers were involved, given the potential for conflict between walkers and racers. Probably tough enough to ensure that the numbers would be low, however.

crazy-legs

The Selkirk Merida uses part of a long distance walking path, and you can call it whatever type of event you want to, but it’s definitely a race.

While it’s a very grey area, the Selkirk Merida is an Enduro, the off-road equivalent of a Sportive so no it’s not a race (in spite of what the fast boys at the front are doing or your attempts to troll on the subject).

druidh
    Free Member

In which case, what about a WHW Enduro?

chugg08

A cycle enduro of the northern half (Ft Bill to Tyndrum or vice verse) would be excellent. It might be better to turn it into an enduro duathlon if you wanted to include south of Crianlarich & along the lochside – it’s a bit of a drag pain in the ar$e carrying the bike over the rocky sections of Loch Lomond.

hels
    Free Member

Selkirk Merida is a Marathon, not an Enduro. Enduros have timed special sections. Actually Merida is more of a Point to Point, but thats v old terminology. But it definitely is not an Enduro.

But yes I think the logistical challenge of this might well outway the reward in organisational terms to try and do it in a oner, and potential pool of entrants would never be enough to fund your costs. Might be better to run it like a Trans Rockies type event, where the whole crew moves as each stage is run, and make it more do-able for ordinary human beings. A week long event spreads out and justifies the high costs a bit more.

For bike returns from FW coaches would be the way to go, that’s what they do with 7000 bikes in L’Etape du Tour every year. Book a place when you book your entry fee.

hels
    Free Member

P.S and rumor has it the Dudes of Hazzard or organising a genuine Enduro up that way soon, power up the General Lee, Daisy.

miketually
    Free Member

Just do it the same way the Cairngorm Loop was ‘organised’. Make it self-supported and set a start date and time.

chugg08

Found this link on the No Fuss website:
    http://nofussevents.co.uk/event/The-Dudes-of-Hazzard-Enduro/2892/
    Is the event hels?

hels
    Free Member

Yeah that’s it. Bummer I’ll be away south for the winter by then, hadn’t clocked the date.

oldbloke
    Free Member

There is already a regular running race on the WHW. The organisers of that might be a useful source of info on what would be required to stage any other sort of event.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Instead of saying that there’s no way I’d get permission to organise it, say why or say nothing

Who made you the forum gaffer?

oldgit
    Free Member

nstead of saying that there’s no way I’d get permission to organise it, say why or say nothing

From my experience of arranging TTs, road races and sportives (all road though)
    One of the big issues would be getting permission from all the counties it crosses. Though I think Scotland is a tad more helpful than Southern England?
    The biggest thing in your favour, and I’m taking this from the above is that some sort of president has been set i.e some of has been used for events both cycling and running.

But back to the road, you wouldn’t believe the ball ache just organizing a 10 mile TT.

All the best, world domination whatever the bike is what I say.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

While it’s a very grey area, the Selkirk Merida is an Enduro, the off-road equivalent of a Sportive so no it’s not a race (in spite of what the fast boys at the front are doing or your attempts to troll on the subject).

Actually the Selkirk marathon was the venue for the National Marathon Champs this year, so it most definitely was a race.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘How about a WHW MTB race?’ is closed to new replies.