Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • How a TALAS works
  • rossburton
    Free Member

Hi,

So I’ve a bike that takes a 120mm fork and would like to upgrade the fork on it from something better than the Recon Solo Air it’s currently got. As it takes a straight steerer this is easier said than done these days… I’ve found a second hand Fox 100/120/140 TALAS and am wondering how the TALAS actually works.

Does it just reduce the amount of travel, or does it actually change the length of the fork (and so head angle). My frame recommends (and is only under warranty for) up to 120mm forks so if it changes the physical length I can use it worry-free and consider it future-proofing for when I upgrade the frame to something burlier…

Thanks
    Ross

Trimix
    Free Member

It will lower the crown, so will change the geometry a bit.

rossburton
    Free Member

Lower by 20mm, so the geometry of a 100/120/140mm TALAS in 120mm mode is the same as eg a standard 120mm fork?

wwaswas

a-c can vary considerably so a 120mm Fox may differ from a 120mm Marzocchi for example.

With TALAS the fork sits further into it’s travel as the travel drops so you lose 20mm increments on the a-c each time you drop it. Whether this matches some other nominal 120mm fork is moot.

rossburton
    Free Member

Okay, thanks. Really tempted to upgrade from my Recon to this TALAS and pretend the 140mm setting doesn’t exist…

Trimix
    Free Member

I’ve got Talas on my Covert. I don’t ride it in its lowest setting unless I’m going up a stupid steep hill. Steep as in “I’m either going to lose grip or die” steep. Then dropping it is good and works.

On the flat its way too low and feels very odd. Downhill you will fall off within a few feet.

So, make sure the geometry is right, get it wrong and the bike is ruined.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Just a word of caution – I’ve just ‘upgraded’ my TALAS to a Rockshox Seckor coil.
    Pretty unimpressive suspension and downright rubbish reliability lead me to this after only 2 years.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I had a Talas on my Stiffee 69’er.

Was a sweet ride.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’d suggest getting a std 120mm fox fork. They perform much better and generally work better.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘How a TALAS works’ is closed to new replies.