Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • How…
  • rascal
    Free Member

…do Astana have a football team in the European Cup?
    I know old former Soviet cities such as Kiev and Moscow compete in it but have you seen how far east Kazakhstan is? Iraq, Iran and Afgan are further west and they are in Asia.

SaxonRider

The way you phrase that, especially the bit about Moscow and Kyiv, suggests that they’re not the European cities they are.

Isn’t Europe determined by the Ural Mountains in the East, the Bosphorus Strait in Turkey? Where does Astana lie relative to the Urals?

john_drummer
    Free Member

Ah but there’s “Europe” and “UEFA”…

Israel isn’t exactly in Europe, but the national team plays in UEFA qualifying groups and club teams play in the Champions’ League and Europa Cup.
    And then there are teams in Russia that are nearer to Japan than Leningrad St Petersburg is to Finland…

And also not forgetting the delights of the Eurovision Song Contest 🙄

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rascal
    Free Member

When I was in school, I’m sure the USSR was classed as Asia.
    Kiev is in Ukraine which used to be part of the USSR.
    Moscow is obviously in Russia which is now generally accepted as ‘European’ – it’s in Eurovision and is hosting the European Athletics Champs! Given the size of Russia, there must be a tipping point where you’d think technically you’re in Asia and not Europe – I’d have though Astana was Asian given the already mentioned countries that are Asian that are west of it.
    EDIT – add to the that the further confusion of ‘Eurasia’ – just muddies the waters even further. I have been drinking though 😉

Saxon – to give it some context, Kiev is closer to London than Astana is 😯

EDIT – JohnDrummer – you’ve covered some of my points – kind of!

JoeG
    Free Member

Definitely European! 😆

BigJohn

£££££££££££££££££££££££

squirrelking
    Free Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe

Although it’s mostly in central Asia it still sits partially within the European land mass.

And IIRC the USSR was considered European west of Moscow and Asian eastwards…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘How…’ is closed to new replies.