Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Housing Market / Interest Rate speculation
  • DT78
    Free Member

In the process of trying to move home. Ours is sold, struggling to find a property to move to, very little on the market and what is, is super expensive. Agent tells me the brexit uncertainty is causing people to wait and see….

Well, now we have voted to leave I’d expect that uncertainty to be worse.

Any crystal ball gazers care to cast an opinion on what they think may happen?

I’m tempted to pull out of the sale, sit tight, remortgage whilst rates are so low and see how the next couple of years go.

MSP

Sell it and rent for a while, the housing market isn’t going to rise in the current climate, it will at best stagnate but could crash.

Yak

Sell it now, unless your buyers pull out first. Pack all your things into a van. Drive to Scotland.

martinhutch

Get your fixed mortgage in place ASAP. Good deals will be disappearing very quickly.

chestrockwell

Fixed mine yesterday.

willard

I need to remortgage to pay off my wife fr the divorce. Same advice? What sort of term, 2, five years?

orangewinger
    Free Member

Make sure your garden is large enough to build a nuclear bunker.

andyl
    Free Member

I think you need to be hoping that your sellers don’t pull out or try to re-negotiate a lower price. The one thing going against them doing so is if they lose their mortgage deal they may risk not getting a similar deal.

My predictions:

The north/lower priced areas will see big drops again.
    London will see even more foreign investment as people take advantage of the weak £
    This will further resentment towards the higher priced property areas.

Mortgages will be harder to get to reflect uncertainty of markets, house prices (risk of negative equity) and jobs.

Rates will rise a bit.

The BoE will probably keep the interest rate the same to try and stop mortgages flying up

I think this will hurt BOTH the £ and the Euro as the EU will now be seen to be much weaker.

andyl
    Free Member

willard – Member
    I need to remortgage to pay off my wife fr the divorce. Same advice? What sort of term, 2, five years?

Sell quickly and run off to South America or Asia with all the money.

willard

Oddly, that was an option. Patagonia is looking tempting…

martinhutch

The BoE will probably keep the interest rate the same to try and stop mortgages flying up

I’m not sure they can, depends on the weakness of the pound.

andyl
    Free Member

I’m not sure they can, depends on the weakness of the pound.

Looking at what’s happened in Japan has me worried.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m often the voice of panic and histeria when it comes to these things, but the housing market isn’t going to colapase or stagnate tomorrow, or next week or next month – it is ‘unknown’ not ‘doomed’ yet.

It’s still, so so early to say but it’s worth considering the Tresury conservatively poredicted a 20% drop over 2 years from PROJECTED prices – which in real terms pretty much means they’ll stay still or rise slighlty.

You might be able to grab a bargain from a nervy seller, but deciding to rent for 2 years to ‘wait it out’ won’t help you – you’ll just end up buying for the same price as now, but you’ve paid someone elses mortgage and not your own.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36537906

andybrad

im fixing mine today for 10 years! phoned the bank and they say they have had a massive influx of people doing the same.

bails

We bought a house a year ago on a2 year fixed. “Rates won’t go up in the best two years” said the mortgage advisor.

I reckon we’re stuffed when we remortgage. What are the chances that rates go up, prices go down and we end to struggling to pay a mortgage that’s worth more than the house?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Get your fixed mortgage in place ASAP. Good deals will be disappearing very quickly

Pretty sure you can’t keep a mortgage after selling and then renting for a while.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My current mortgage deal is up in 3 years, then I have only 2 years left til the thing is paid off, so I’m not really giving a flying ****.

Which seems to be the theme of the last 24 hours….

DT78
    Free Member

Won’t bother with renting yet. Planning on upsizing for next child if/when they come along. Don’t want to, but could easily sit tight for a few more years. Moving ontoa fixed rate now seems very appealing

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I have no idea

On the one hand the UK is going to be desperate for investment over the next few years, so will need those low rates.

On the other hand, if the pounds value is on a downward trend, then they need to limit the availability of capital to push it back up again, which means rates go up.

Bought our house last year, with the logic of “well, for it to be un-affordable two out of three would have to happen, either of us loses out job, and rates go up beyond expectations. Now I’m being made redundant, she deals with European HR, and I’ve no idea what the BoE is thinking.

andybrad

i cant remortgage 🙁

just going to have to sit it out i guess?

robdob
    Free Member

House prices won’t be affected long term, they never are. There still isn’t enough houses being built which has only one result.
    I’ve just got a 5 year fixed mortgage I’m happy with.

The main thing would be to not stretch yourself financially as there may be increases in costs of living ahead. But we’re all sensible aren’t we? 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Housing Market / Interest Rate speculation’ is closed to new replies.