Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 126 total)
  • Housing benefit, how can I…..
  • cinnamon_girl

Of course we don’t actually know whether the OP drew up some sort of contract with stipulations. If yes, is the tenant in breach of contract?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member
    Of course we don’t actually know whether the OP drew up some sort of contract with stipulations. If yes, is the tenant in breach of contract?

you mean like paying the rent? Fairly normal in the rental market.

scotroutes

Section 4, subsection (ii) The landord hereby agrees that the tennant can withhold rent for as long as they want and may use their Basic Human Rights as a valid reason for this.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m not sure if you are actually serious here ??

yunki
    Free Member

For me, and I’m sure others, the concern is about the attitude..

I’m hearing – Ok, he’s had a stroke and kidney failure, but no-one gets a free ride, not at your expense, and just in case he’s pulling a fast one you should chuck him out onto the street with a few bruises to teach him a lesson..

I have to admit that I was a bit surprised by that.. I expected the usual tory predators to keep quiet, and at least expected a bit of compassion from the lefties..
    The whole brazen ‘let him die in the cold, he’s costing you money’ stance is a bit of a shock..

What I would like to hear is – Wow, you need this guy out of your hair, he’s costing you money.. He sounds in a bad way though, have you contacted the authorities? Were they helpful? Is any provision being made for him? Are you receiving any assistance? What will happen? How did you get here in the first place?
    That’s a shitty situation, surely there must be help available..

(although I seem to remember that even 15 years ago under labour, a single male with no dependents would have struggled to find help with accommodation, disabled or not)

cinnamon_girl

@ nealglover – do shut up, you’re one of the most argumentative buggers on here. Give it a rest please. 😐

MoreCashThanDash

I’m with yunki here – still not getting how it’s taken 10 months for the OP to get this far and not have gone through the tenant/local authority to try and get it resolved. Most landlords start the eviction process at the 8th week.

cinnamon_girl

yunki gets it.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

its so obvious who on here has experienced hardship and those who have not-like two different worlds, yet in the same place.

Evidence we have been given– bloke is fine until his catastrophic series of events–then he becomes a piss takin ogre–you know , those benefit scroungers the daily fail is fond of–meanwhile the stove loving, property worshippers are all keen to put the boot in!

Jy– suprised at you a little, thought you knew a little more about hardship of those who fall through the net, or transgress the petty rules– for info, all tennants will be getting HB paid direct , Monthly , so woe betide you if any thing goes wrong….

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I’m sorry to be blunt, but that’s the most naive comment yet in a thread that sets new standards of worldly ignorance. It’s egf’s home, ffs, he’s paying a mortgage on it. He’s a grown-up in a responsible job.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Still no one taken the tenant in then I see..poor, very poor. 🙄

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Would you take him in patriotpro? (As long as he’s not a brown person like…)

bearnecessities

nealglover
    Free Member

@ nealglover – do shut up, you’re one of the most argumentative buggers on here. Give it a rest please.

So you were serious then ?

You are actually not sure if they are in breach of contract after not paying a penny for 10 months.

I don’t think its “argumentative” to point out how odd it is that you don’t know the answer to that question.

yunki
    Free Member

bearnecessities – 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

You’ve obviously had some experience of working with the public, perhaps still do, so am surprised at your responses.

I can see why you are confused and I am generally as you describe but I am trying to separate this issue from govt policies
    There is no doubt that that govt polices are harming the poor, bedroom taxes, sanctions and various other changes by this shower. there is no doubt folk in need are struggling but there is still [ ever decreasing help] out there from welfare benefits, citizens advice to what i do that would support the tennant to deal with the issues. they appear to have done nothing from what little is on this thread.

No matter what the govt changes I am struggling to see how any individual can fail to pay rent for 10 months without making contact with the landlord so i am struggling to see that it i anything other than a deliberate attempt to not pay and I am not sympathetic to this.

i deal with many folk who piss away their HB and then blame outside forces for their inability to ether budget or GAS – they will still get housing afterwards [ generally] anyway.

I feel like I am being asked to be sympathetic to a person who has wilfully not paid his rent- like others I am making assumptions though.

The whole brazen ‘let him die in the cold, he’s costing you money’ stance is a bit of a shock

I am not sure anyone has said that tbh. You are free to put him up at your expense to prevent this which is what you expect the OP to do whilst blaiming everyone , apparently, but the person not paying for the events,

On balance i think the most likely scenario is he got the HB and spent the money on lots of things but not the rent

When in hospital for example he would have had a social worker who would , at the very least, have arranged an appointment for the tenant to sort this. Failing that his 20 yr old son or father round the corner could have helped.

i think the most likely scenario is wilful non payment whihc was possibly exacerbated by personal circumstances and current state policies.

yunki
    Free Member

You are free to put him up at your expense to prevent this which is what you expect the OP to do whilst blaiming everyone , apparently, but the person not paying for the events,

Where have I suggested that the OP do that hey?
    I’ve merely expressed concern for the tenant’s present state of mind, and enquired as to whether the OP has sought help and advice (other than from his solicitor)

it’s a possibility.. although I like your stance of ‘he’s on benefits so is therefore a crim by default

When in hospital for example he would have had a social worker who would , at the very least, have arranged an appointment for the tenant to sort this

roflcopters

dream on

I jumped off a cliff when I was 20, and survived a 250foot fall, I had been pestering the mental health services for months beforehand that I needed urgent assistance..
    When I got out of the ICU, out of my eyeballs on various medicines, a social worker came to see me to ask if I needed any help or counselling, support when I left hospital..
    I told her to get me some Valium and **** off..
    That is precisely what she did, I didn’t hear from the health services again until six months later when the old bill called them after another incident

all a very long time ago when social services had a budget, and the government were interested in helping the weak and vulnerable

The bloke has had a stroke.. for all we know he might think that his social worker was the ghost of his great Aunt Ethel

get a grip son, sometimes junkyard, even you are wrong 😆
    what’s wrong with you today..!?

**** wierdo

godzilla
    Free Member

Haven’t bothered reading after the thread soured so sorry if its been covered, had a similar problem myself, the council wouldn’t tell me what benefits the tenant was on but let me apply for housing benefit to be paid direct to me (every four weeks) just give them a call they will deal with this sort of thing all the time.
    Every tenant I’ve had seems to default on the first months rent like it free money, they seem to know how to work the system, the first time it happened i was real upset.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I told her to get me some Valium and **** off..
    That is precisely what she did, I didn’t hear from the health services again until six months later when the old bill called them after another incident

yes that is definitely their fault 😕 Who does not help folk who tell me to **** off as i assume you do?

I do not think those on benefits are crims [ nor have i ever said it – poor form to suggest i have or ever would tbh] nor do I think not a single one of them does not deliberately withold rent to buy booze, fags and drugs [ which is not actually an offence ] – I try to help some of them but not the ones who tell me to **** off

its odd arguing with you as we normally agree

yunki
    Free Member

😆

that’s true – I’m quite intimidated.. It’s like taking on an end of level boss when I couldn’t even get past that first bit where you jump over the stream and shoot the gnome..

At least I’ve got you on the back foot cos the subject matter is close to the bone 8)

Does no one ever say – ‘oh hold on, that very deluded and heavily medicated person in bed 27 with the multiple life threatening illnesses/injuries just declined my offer of support.. Do you think we should leave him to it..?
    he obviously knows what he’s on about..’

Or do they say – ‘how rude, I’ve never been so insulted in all my life.. that uncouth fellow can rot in their own shit in an alley as far as I’m concerned, I’m off home for a row with the hubby..’

Or do they say – ‘what are we gonna do..? This guy’s not making any sense, he’s refused help.. He’s not in any state to fill out benefit forms and it’s likely that his pikey son will rob all the cash anyway.. ho hum.. he’ll be out on the street by next Christmas, we’ll leave it to the street cleaners to sweep up his frozen remains.. now who wants to try a bit of this crepe that I just got from the french farmers market in town..?’

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think we all try to help but , whatever the reason, you cannot force folk to take your help and or advice as they are adults free to make daft choices.

Your scenario is more extreme than I ever deal with but IME mental health professionals are either very overworked , targeted so they cannot help or not arsed. I have only once ever received help from them a handful of times in referrals which will number in the hundreds.

scotroutes

egf – post up your paypal account id.
    Perhaps all those that think it’s OK for the tennant not to pay can forward you enough funds between them to cover the rent.

yunki
    Free Member

Who actually does think that it’s ok for him not to pay his rent..?

I think Onion, that it’s just a construct of the second home owners fevered imaginations (and the couple of token right wing teens that have chimed in)

I’m just asking if there’s more to this than next week’s Daily Mail headlines
    Surely it’s simple for egf to return and put us all out of our misery with the truth, or has he lit the blue touch paper and retired..?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Maybe, just maybe, when the poor, trampled upon, hard done by tenant is about to be evicted, then and only then, like a knight in shining armour (or the tooth fairy, for balance) a social worker will appear and sort the tenant a new home and a new payment system.

yunki
    Free Member

chortle

what a card!

So what are we saying here..?

That in the space of one summer, we’ve all gone from being a bit ashamed and appalled at how the government are treating the disabled, the weak and the vulnerable.. to a kind of general acceptance that they are all robbing bastards and they’re gonna get what’s coming if they mess up..?

Coyote
    Free Member

Who actually does think that it’s ok for him not to pay his rent..?

rudebwoy and cybicle seem pretty comfortable with the prospect. Maybe they’ll be the first to chip in to pay off the debt and set up standing orders for future rent payments.

Not saying I have no empathy for the guy but EGF is very out of pocket through no fault of his own and it sounds like he will have to stump up more cash to put right the damage. Sad situation all round with no winners as far as I can see.

yunki
    Free Member

Seeing as EGF is keeping schtum at present, does anyone want to speculate on the pitfalls of the babyboomer generation snapping up all the cheap housing stock in the buy-to-let free-for-all..?

😉

rudebwoy
    Free Member

another thread that exposes the deep fears of the middle class, those of us who have by necessity to duck and dive,fully realise that things are never straightforward like the nice info the state puts out.

Essel will have to give us the full low down on what has been occuring, more to this than meets the eye…. meanwhile back to the work fare scheme tomorrow ….

rudebwoy
    Free Member

aye yunki– the pitfalls of renting to scummers !!

Junkyard
    Free Member

to a kind of general acceptance that they are all robbing bastards and they’re gonna get what’s coming if they mess up

I think we are saying if you rent a house you have to pay the rent.
    No one has said anything like this no matter how many times you [ or rudeadhombwoy claim it

Middle class – if you say that to my face I will set my whippet on you 🙄

nealglover
    Free Member

If he’d kept the place in good condition & at least attempted to pay some rent I’d have been a lot more sympathetic.
    But it’s now shithole & he hasn’t.

The “defenders” of the tenant don’t seem to have noticed this bit.

If he’s just a bloke who’s fallen on hard times, been let down by “the system” or whatever, why would he suddenly turn into someone who turns a perfectly good house into a shithole ?

He’s got his 20 year old son living with him, so there really is no excuse for not looking after the place and keeping it half decent.

Is that someone else’s fault too ?

yunki
    Free Member

Is that someone else’s fault too ?

maybe he’s just had a stroke?
    Or kidney failure..?

I imagine that it’s actually perfectly possible for that to be your fault, you make me feel a bit off colour just having to read your daft comments..

Maybe his son is a dirty feckless little git..?
    It’s perfectly possible that you’re the feckless son in fact!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ta

nealglover
    Free Member

maybe he’s just had a stroke?
    Or kidney failure..?

His son lives with him, is he ill too ?
    Nobody knows.

I imagine that it’s actually perfectly possible for that to be your fault, you make me feel a bit off colour just having to read your daft comments..

Top debating skills.

Seriously, really good stuff.

Maybe his son is a dirty feckless little git..?

Do you get special dispensation for that too ?

“Sorry I ruined your house, I’m a proper dirty feckless git me though, not fault”

It’s perfectly possible that you’re the feckless son in fact!

Again, hats off to your debating skills.

yunki
    Free Member

oooh.. oooh

do I get a prize..?
    do I?
    do I?

What is it..?
    Can I have a badge with ‘top debater’ on it and a picture of a schoolboy willy..?

My debating skills mean everything to me..

Meanwhile – Neal Glover in ‘people have a different life from you’ shocker..

You insinuated that his poor housekeeping skills suggested to you that he was a heatless criminal who deserved nothing more than to live on the streets like a stray animal, I offered possible alternatives.. it’s not rocket science

Junkyard
    Free Member

he did not do that and I think your prize is a big pointy hat with a D on it

yunki
    Free Member

meh… that’ll do me

As long as it’s free and I don’t have to give it back

what did he do exactly oh omniscient one? educate a poor sinner like me for I am nought but a fool in the glare of your wisdom..

nealglover
    Free Member

Meanwhile – Neal Glover in ‘people have a different life from you’ shocker..

You don’t know me.
    You don’t know anything about my life, or my past.

You are making a lot of guesses.
    And they aren’t vey accurate ones.

You insinuated that his poor housekeeping skills suggested to you that he was a heatless criminal who deserved nothing more than to live on the streets like a stray animal, I offered possible alternatives..

That bit was just made up.
    I didn’t say, or insinuate, any of that 😐

it’s not rocket science

No it’s not.

But you are making it look a lot harder than it is.

yunki
    Free Member

I am slain.. you are victorious

I must bow out humiliated and chastised

good luck esselgrunfuttock with your tricky tenant, I sincerely hope that you move him on with the minimum of fuss

nealglover
    Free Member

and you’re just getting in a mood now so this is no fun

More bad guesses ?

I’m perfectly happy thanks.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘Housing benefit, how can I…..’ is closed to new replies.