Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)
  • Housing benefit, how can I…..
  • cybicle
    Free Member

Why ?

Because we’re part of a society. Quite simple really.

Complete and utter BS

I have never heard such nonsense.

Stop spluttering; you’ll choke.

Google the 1988 Human Rights Act.

So you don’t think that a secure, safe home should be a basic Human Right? Would you be happy for you and your family/children to live on the street then? No, thought not.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Cybicle stop being stupid. A home is deserved to those who are willing to work their way through life and care for others. The government pays for supporting people who can’t work, not individuals.

Do you pay £300/month to charity? To people who are being selfish?

nealglover
    Free Member

So you don’t think that a secure, safe home should be a basic Human Right?

What I think “should be” a human right is irrelevant.

You stated a home was a Basic Human Right.

What I asked you was which bit of the Human Rights Act is relevant here ?

I can understand your reluctance to answer though.

It’s difficult when yo get caught out talking utter bobbins.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Cybicle are you living in a different world to the rest of us??

Lifer
    Free Member

Can I have some bobbins please neal?

The right to housing is recognised in a number of international human rights instruments. Article 25 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights recognises the right to housing as part of the right to an adequate standard of living.[1] It states that:
    “Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control”

yunki
    Free Member

Ouch 😆

nealglover
    Free Member

can I have some bobbins

No probs. they are on the bottom left on page 25 😉

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/uploaded_files/humanrights/human_rights_at_home.pdf

MoreCashThanDash

Well didn’t this go spectacularly off at a tangent – the OP asked a question, several of us offered answers and options (most backed up by some experience), someone then confuses a “Human Right” with the Human Rights Act …..

But I think if I invoke Hitler or Thatcher I can still win the game, right?

nealglover
    Free Member

So where would you look for a list of “Human Rights” then ?

Seemed a logical leap to me.

Or do we not need a list, we can all just shout “human rights innit” whenever we think we are entitled to something for nothing.

yunki
    Free Member

And so the question still remains – does our evil property baron Mr Gruntfuttock have to marry this abu hamza character, to love and to cherish, for richer or poorer til death do they part?

MoreCashThanDash

Strangely, I read “housing is a Human Right” to be taken in the same way that food and water and not being killed is a Human Right, as per the universal declaration. At no point did I jump to the Daily Wail-ish conclusion that it might be incorporated into the Human Rights Act.

But as I’m neither a tenant or a landlord, I haven’t got the emotional involvement in the subject that some of the others on here have. I just get to deal with both sides on a daily basis.

nealglover
    Free Member

At no point did I jump to the Daily Wail-ish conclusion

🙄

Yeah, that’s exactly what it was.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@cybycle – massive troll. The tennet is almost certainly claiming housing benefit which the government provides to enable him to have a place to live. If he was using it for the intended purpose he wouldn’t be getting evicted.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Junkyard
    Free Member

with rights comes responsibilities

he has a house now what he needs to do is spend the money that we all give him [ ok technically its the council tax payers in that area]for this need to the person who rents him the property.

I doubt i can stop paying my mortgage and use the Human rights act to stop eviction

jambourgie
    Free Member

If you do see it just ‘as a business’, then you can’t make it personal when things go wrong. It’s one or the other.

In the economic sense it looks like you’ve lost the game due to your tenant’s superior business acumen. He’s spotted a loophole and stopped paying rent. You’ve allowed this to happen for much longer than is usual for such an enterprise, and now that you’ve woken up to this fact you’re angry and calling him all manner of names on an internet forum. Very unprofessional behaviour for a businessman.

TheSanityAssassin

Seems to me that being a ‘sponging woman’s wee thing’ trumps ‘disabled’ in the Should I/Shouldn’t I Eviction Game, enabling the honest, hardworking landlord to kick the toerag out with a clear conscience.

His father lives round the corner, so him and his equally culpable 20yo son won’t have far to shift their stuff.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Food , clothes and shelter are basic human needs,especially in this climate. Those who wish to use the chronic shortage of affordable rented accomodation ( a direct consequence of the great rip off of council housing) to subsidise your lifestyles at others misfortune , cry when it works the other way- as you stated before essel, all was fine until illness, bereavement , unemployment befell this unfortunate soul.

It is just as likely he has been overwhelmed by his situation, all those cynics who assume every one is ripping you off— don’t judge others by your own standards

cinnamon_girl

This thread appears mainly to be devoid of any concern for the well-being of someone who’s going through major life experiences. 😐

Oh to be so smug.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I dont know I am pretty concerned about the OP being skint

It seems to be full of folk thinking the person has no choice but to not pay the rent or starve. This is possibly the case but WTF have they stayed there given they have family near by?

all those cynics who assume every one is ripping you off— don’t judge others by your own standards

WTF he is not paying, which is breach of contract, so whatever the reasons, genuine or otherwise, he is ripping him off as he gets money for the rent which he does not give to the landlord for almost a year.
    If you cannot afford to pay the rent on a home you should not stay there in much the same way I cannot walk out the supermarket without paying for the trolley no matter how hard my current personal circumstances may be – I doubt an appeal to the human rights act would work in court

“our standards” odd phrase as if we have some sort of broken moral code when you are making excuses for non payment.
    I have sympathy for the person renting but not to the extent you can turn a blind eye to 10 mths non payment when he got HB to pay it

cinnamon_girl

It may well be that he’s slipped through the net of Social Services and the Housing Department. There’s obviously more to this than meets the eye but it sounds as though the bloke needs help and he’s not getting it.

Take SS and HD to Court then!

wiggles
    Free Member

What a load of hippy smelling bull excrement!

Regardless if this person is in a bad way, slipped through the net etc then why should the OP have to pick up the tab for this persons misfortunes?

We have a social benefits and housing system in place to help these people, might not be perfect but is better than most people in the world get.

This comes from someone who had been evicted at short notice and forced into the social housing system. before anyone says anything I was working and paid the rent on time every month, made no breaches of my tenancy agreement, but pointed out the ways in which my landlord was breaching their responsibilities so they felt it easier to kick me out and find someone else than fix the issues with the property.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Take SS and HD to Court then!

😯
    Yes it certainly their fault and they should be sued …its not the fault of the grown man with the 20 year old son who has not paid for 10 mths

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

10 months, and he’s still there?
    The tenant should explain his situation, over-whelmed or not, burying his head in the sand is not really helping the situation is it? If he’s “slipped through the net” of Social and Housing, then if he said something then that would probably be a great help to op. But not having a clue what’s going on, and being out of pocket for 10 months is just shocking! And how you’ve put up with that for almost a year is commendable. You’ve obviously been out of pocket for this period of time, but surely enough is enough? Not quite sure why there are so many people who actually disagree. Maybe if the situation was reversed then they might think otherwise?
    And it’s (as has been said) not always the case that people can “just have a second home for income” but it is actually more of a forced hand than anything, working elsewhere and not being able to sell for instance. My parents were in this position many many years ago, originally living in the North, new job forced a move to the South but they couldn’t sell the house. Had to rent. Got **** about by tenants, as seems all too common. It was not my parents responsibility to provide anyone a home, regardless of what the hipsters may think. So they had them evicted.
    Kick him out, be done with it. Lick your wounds over your financial deficit, and move on. Simple.

patriotpro
    Free Member

This thread appears mainly to be devoid of any concern for the well-being of someone who’s going through major life experiences.

Oo no, re-read it, there is lots of concern, compassion even yet none of them doling-out (no pun intended) the morally-aloft views are willing to take in the tenant…come on have a heart do-gooders. It’s what you’re good at (at least in text though eh) 😆

But then I keep thinking:

It must be a major headache for you, but is is part and parcel of being a landlord.

althepal

There is obv stuff yhat has been going on that we are not fully aware of.. I’m guessing the OP has tried to sort the situation out and poss come to an arrangement with the tenant. . If nothing else for purely financial reasons..I have a lot of sympathy for you but am unable to offer much detailed ingo that might help.
    Can someone explain why they changed the payment method as it seems to be causing similar problems on a national scale!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

the Tories fail to see that not everyone can cope with life and they decided that people need to learn to be responsible for their own finances so they gave them all the money to teach them financial responsibility.

they failed to see that they lacked the self discipline or control to pay the rent themselves, hence why they had it paid directly to the landlord as it was a choice not a rule, and would spend it otherwise. they removed this choice to empower them 😕

They live in a bubble basically and dont have the first idea about the needy – why would IDS he lives in a mansion and next to no one in the cabinet [ or politics] has even been poor or worked with or dealt with people like this

they are as clueless , and not dissimilar in outlook, to victorian folk civilising the savage.

It was not actually malice but it is was bound to end in a monumental **** up

althepal

Cool. Ta. Agreed.

sbob
    Free Member

They live in a bubble basically and dont have the first idea about the needy

Much like multiple home owning STWers… 😆

althepal

STWer in sweeping generalisation shocker..

project
    Free Member

Some intresting info here

http://www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/money-and-benefits/check-elegibility-for-benefits/information-for-landlords.aspx

Seem sas if the council can pay HB direct to the landlord, but the tennant doesnt have to use the HB to actualy pay the rent.

cybicle
    Free Member

I have sympathy for the person renting but not to the extent you can turn a blind eye to 10 mths non payment when he got HB to pay it

Bu none of us know if he has or hasn’t received HB. Hence the reason for this thread. 🙄

Actually, none of us really know the tenant’s situation, which is why I proposed the OP take steps to find out more, ad to try to resolve the situation in a manner which has the best outcome for everyone involved. I think it’s better to try to do this, and act with a bit of humanity, than simply kick someone who may well be very vulnerable given the apparent circumstances, out on the street. As for the Human Rights issue; seems some understood me, and others didn’t/don’t agree.

That some people chose to label consideration for the well-being of another Human Being as ‘hand-wringing’, ‘leftie’, ‘tree-hugging’ and other nonsense shows their lack of empathy and compassion for others, in my opinion. Quite pathetic, this kind of childish name-calling, and indicates an inability to engage with a discussion in an intelligent rational manner.

yunki
    Free Member

Very politely put cybicle..

I reckon funtgruttock is a fairly decent chap really and has probably been as reasonable as he can..

But some of the **** that have posted their no nonsense responses would benefit from a good hard poke in the eye with a shitty finger..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

That some people chose to label consideration for the well-being of another Human Being as ‘hand-wringing’, ‘leftie’, ‘tree-hugging’ and other nonsense shows their lack of empathy and compassion for others, in my opinion. Quite pathetic, this kind of childish name-calling, and indicates an inability to engage with a discussion in an intelligent rational manner.

Really, I know they are human beings but there is a safety net provided by the state, it’s not up to the individual to subsidise this, we pay tax to a state for this. Evicting somebody is not being a prick it’s a consequence of not paying rent.

As we can’t use descriptive terms can I ask how many homeless people you put up in your house?

Junkyard
    Free Member

none of us know if he has or hasn’t received HB

true but it is the most likely outcome. Either way I would ask why and further ask why they think they will be able to live in a house they cannot afford and why they would not respond to the landlord at all?
    It seems unlikely its an accident they are living their rent free.

try to resolve the situation in a manner which has the best outcome for everyone involved.

Not really possible as the best outcome for the tenant is a free home and the best for the landlord is rent paid. They seem somewhat mutually incompatible just as my best outcome is not to pay my mortgage and still live here. The responsibility if each seems fairly clear and however much sympathy I have I would want/need the rent paid.

I think it’s better to try to do this, and act with a bit of humanity, than simply kick someone who may well be very vulnerable given the apparent circumstances, out on the street

well they may well not be vulnerable a syou dont know – its equally possible they get HB and just dont pay the landlord as they are getting pissed instead – you cannot have it both ways – you dont know either
    feel free to offer them a home free of charge at your expense then seeing as you are sympathetic.

But some of the **** that have posted their no nonsense responses would benefit from a good hard poke in the eye with a shitty finger..

why not leave your house, keep paying for it and let me stay there then?
    If you onject I have a shitty stick with your name on it 😉

yunki
    Free Member

Try not to be moronic jy, at no point have I even insinuated that egf is in the wrong here..

cinnamon_girl

Junkyard – I’ve always had you down as a compassionate bloke. You’ve obviously had some experience of working with the public, perhaps still do, so am surprised at your responses.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I might be moving soon. If I do, and the house is empty for a while, I have learned from this and previous similar posts not to let it out. For only callous greedy entrepreneurs do so and expect to receive rent. And I don’t think I’ll fit that stereotype.

It may have changed since, or I might remember wrongly, yonks ago I heard that non-payment of rent might be interpreted as intentially homeless under housing regs.

Is or was that so?

scotroutes

cinnamon girl – how many folk are currently staying at you gaff free of charge?

SOG – don’t let it out. Just leave the keys in the door so that anyone can get in and make themselves at home.

nealglover
    Free Member

cinnamon girl – how many folk are currently staying at you gaff free of charge?

It doesn’t count if you still live there by the way.

You need to move out and pay the rent/mortgage on a second place too, and let them have your place to themselves while you pay for it for it to count.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘Housing benefit, how can I…..’ is closed to new replies.