Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Houses with Flat roofs.
  • Mooly
    Free Member

Any builders out there that know anything about the pro`s and cons of houses with flat roofs.
    Thinking about moving and have seen on that looks like it has some damp on the chimney breast in one of the upstairs rooms.

samuri
    Free Member

They’re an absolute **** nightmare.

Make sure it slopes a bit. If it’s flat, meets a sloping roof and water collects on it it’s only a matter of time before it starts leaking. In winter the collected water freezes and cracks open any small gaps.

avdave2

You may struggle to get a mortgage on one.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

What percentage of the total roof area is the flat roof? I think that’s key. I’ve got two houses with flat roof extensions, getting a mortgage on either wasn’t an issue.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

flat roofs are amazing cos they are made form riven stone, a material that lasts forever and shed all the water using a reliable system based on gravity…….oh no thats not right is it, they are made of plastic and hold the water in place until the water gets bored and finds a way through just when the weather is too cold and damp to be able to do anything to fix it.

actually they arnt that bad, if they have been built really really well, ive just had a nightmare with my kitchen extension this winter

wrightyson
    Free Member

Done right they are fine, in fact we’ve got going on a house that’s probably worth 2 million quid and he’s not the kind of chap to have some shonky roof on his new orangery!

andywoods
    Free Member

flat roofs still have age old negativity attitude, technology has moved on, products change/improve. we’ve just done (few years ago) 2 £15 million developments on the north sea coast with flat roofs you dont gamble that kind of money with flat roof attitude

crikey
    Free Member

If you put wheels on a house with a flat roof, you can tow it to somewhere sunny when it rains.

avdave2

While flat roofs can be done very well if you read the OP’s post it sounds like it is already showing a problem with damp and I’m guessing it’s not a very recent multi million development.

Mooly
    Free Member

Very true avdave2.
    Sounds like it might be a steer clear.

crankboy
    Free Member

Got one love it .mortgage was not an issue insurance is. We also had to have the felt roof replaced with a modern one . Also check the insulation before replacement our upstairs was uncomfortably warm in summer . And I assume leaking heat in winter.
    Damp in a chimney breast is that not more likely to be rain comming down the chimney or penetrating the stack ?

Mooly
    Free Member

Are they any good for installing solar panels on as I guess you could cover the lot.

andywoods
    Free Member

yes i agree not multi million but as far as i would go it’s a good bargaining chip to get money off the price of a house and can soon be remedied, and done right can be covered in panels

mk1fan
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with flat roofs.

As with any building element, if done properly and maintained they’ll last for decades.

Lots of different systems around with varying levels of cost.

Any roof is prone to leaking so look at the element as a whole (chimney, flashings, roof covering).

It could well be possible that the roof has been neglected and has come to the end of it’s life. It sounds like getting out onto the roof would be of benefit if you are genuinely interested in the property.

Alternatively, it could be damp coming down the chimney and nothing to do with the roof.

Contrary to ‘web banter’ flat roofs do offer some advantages over pitched roofs. When done properly can last for decades.

project
    Free Member

I am haveing problems with insurance due to flat roof but its 3 floors above me, and i cant get onto to it to check what its made of so cant get insurance from some comapnies.

stavromuller
    Free Member

We spent a fortune converting our flat roof to pitched years ago, since then ten other houses on the estate have followed suit. Flat roofs suck, a pitched roof changed our house beyond belief.

Simwit

Stavromuller, what did it cost you & how long ago if you don’t mind me asking as we’re thinking of doing the same? Also, were there any major issues when you did it, any tips you wouldn’t mind passing on?

NZCol

My house has a flat roof, well several sections of flat roof and also has a significant amount of PV and solar water panels. Key thing is with the system we put on not to penetrate it or where yo do it has to be done very carefully. For example where the solar water panels are have small stands they fit into which are basically qudruple covered. Obviously each roof has a fall and the whole thing never holds water. Next step is we’re changing it to be turfable.

takisawa2

There’s an estate full of flat roof houses by me. All made of asphalt ( I think).
    I’ve known a few folk living in them & never had an issue with damp.

I’m doing my garage when “summer” arrives, with an EPDM membrane. Next door had theirs done, & it’s spot on. I’ve nothing against flat roofs, but given the choice I’d have a pitched tiled roof.

wingnuts

Our whole roof is flat. We bought the place as a wreck and replaced the original asphalt with a rubber sheet (the baby oil was an optional extra) and increased the insulation while we had the chance. When I say replaced I mean there was nothing to replace! It was just the felt sheet over 18mm ply and 12mm of expanded polystyrene. So I be looking very carefully at what you’re getting. Ours was built in 1976 so check.It has made a world of difference both in summer and winter.

Theres nothing to be afraid of as has been said above and its always the flashings edges to wall that give issues. So the problem the OP describes should be sortable easily.

Ours is single story and the other factor that might come as a surprise is the noise. Cats/birds can sound like elephants and heavy rain can sound like your camping. It initially was alarming but we now love it. Makes us feel the building has a character.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Houses with Flat roofs.’ is closed to new replies.