• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by 2002.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Housemaids knee
    Free Member

I have had to have week off work with badly infected housemaids knee after my right knee blow up like a balloon over night and the AE doctor said it may well be kneeing a lot at work or due to a cut on my knee from an off on my mtb the other week but I did not get to ask him about could it be caused by bikeing riding as I have really uped the milage I have been doing due to having just got a road bike which I have been using cliped pedals for the first time which I have not used off road. I am due to see the doctor next week but wondered if any one has any ideas .

glupton1976
    Free Member

Pre-patellar bursitis/ housemaid’s knee (acute injury)
    [b]Etiology[/b]

A subcutaneous prepatellar bursa may, at times, become distended with fluid due to the constant irritation of kneeling, or as a result of a blow on the prominence of the patella. This condition is known as Housemaid’s Knee.

Diagnosis

The distended bursa manifests as a fluctuant mass anterior to the patella. Inflammation and secondary infection are possible complications. The portal of bacterial entry may be a graze or laceration near the knee, infected eczema, or athlete’s foot more distally.

Early management

This should include prevention of further mechanical irritation, rest, and anti-inflammatory medication. Regular application of ice and ultrasound may help the inflammation to settle more quickly. Occasionally, a cortisone injection into the bursa can be helpful but must be avoided if there is any possibility of infection. In the presence of cellulitis or any evidence of bacterial infection, antibiotics are indicated. Abscess formation will, of course, require incision and drainage.

Rehabilitation

If the bursitis has caused compensatory movements to occur such as limping or hip hitching then these problems must be addressed with an appropriate stretching and strengthening program plus gait re-education.

Taken from the sports injury section of anatomy.tv

RoterStern
    Free Member

I had that from a huge crash two years ago. It took my knee over six weeks (and two draining ops) before I was able to bend it again. I had a drain hole with a cut up finger of a surgical glove stuffed in it to drain the fluid out. Had daily visits to the docs and also had to take loads of antibiotics because of infection. Not a happy summer that one 😐

In fact still have the huge scar across my knee from the operations and the knee is still ever so slightly swollen two years on but thankfully no pain.

jet26
    Free Member

Not from too much cycling – usually kneeling down a lot or infected cut as stated in OP

bonesetter
    Free Member

HM’sK CAN in fact be down to too much cycling…

Especially with a change of routine – in the OP’s case different pedals, but can be for reasons such as going SS from geared and standing to pedal

One of the biggest cycling related aggravating factors is tight quads

HM’s knee is bloody painful and for the mo REST and ICE. Couple of days should see you right – had it not been for the infection on top

Heel soon 🙂

jet26
    Free Member

Hmmmmm

jpacey
    Free Member

Infrapatella bursitis (a bursae below the knee cap) is commonly caused by mechanical loading of the knee and can be caused by increaed training load or sub-optimal biomechanics with cycling BUT prepatella bursitis (which it sounds like you have) is most commonly caused by excessive kneeling or a local cut. As yours is infected its most likely to be from a cut.
    Its true you may develop a movement dysunction as a result of the pain/swelling/reduction in activity so when the swelling and infection resolve ensure to regain full range of movement in the knee joint/ surrounding muscles and consider a strength program because the quads particularly are inhibited and will waste in the prescence of swelling. this can be as simple as doing some squats/lunges (painfree free) but ideally go and see a professional who can look at the entire lower limb and trunk

Free Member

2 things I have changed have been to put the saddle higher after being told it was to low and the other was going to spds, when I had tried them on my mtbs but never really felt safe but mainly due to never seeming to get my right cleat in the right place. I have run spds on the road bike almost from days one but have never really ever got the right to feel right as I always feel like Iwas trying to pull my foot off the pedal where as the left foot ha salways felt in the right place. I think I will go back to flat pedals for now even if it seem to be wrong on a road bike. I had done 57 miles on the road bike the night before my knee when hay wire but the ride was not really very hard work as there was not much climbing and My knees felt fine after the ride.
    The cut on my knee was deap and has only just healed up fully afer nearly 3 weeks after my falls on the South Downs.

scaredypants

Heel soon 🙂

Woah ! How fast does it spread ? 😯

Taff
    Free Member

I went to Madrid last year and was kneeling on the cobbles in the square. In the airport I realised my knee was swollen, saw GP and he said I had housemaids knee and I can only think it was from kneeling this one time. I still have a sponges knee cap now, GP isn’t worried but I do get pain in it occasionally. It doesn’t inflame from cycling and I also upped my mileage however a few minutes kneeling on on it and it will swell up again. Should probably get it checked again

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

I have this atm 🙁

Came off last Sunday and finally gave in and went to the docs on Friday. High dose antibiotics along with the R.I.C.E. atm. The worst pain is when I stand up from sitting…..OMG it takes my breath away!

Hoping the antis kick in soon as a week off riding has been quite long enough 😥

mooman
    Free Member

Another here who had it after a little crash on the mtb.
    Got rushed into hospital and operated on when it got infected.
    About 5days in hospital – hate hospitals!!

pdV6
    Free Member

I get this all the time, albeit a much milder case.
    Got fed up & went to see the doc, who diagnosed HMK.

My cause seems to be having small kids & therefore spending an inordinate amount of time at home on my knees! Have spent the last few weeks either not kneeling or, when unavoidable, making sure I kneel on something soft. Seems to be sorting itself out now.

Free Member

I am now into the third week and my knee is still swollen and sore and I may going a see the doctor again as I am on holiday next week and was hoping to get back on my bike but I do not to try riding again if there is any chance of it making my knee bad again .
    The other thing is do I go back to flat pedals on the road bike incase being cliped in with spds is the reason it started off . I do pefer spds on the road bike.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Housemaids knee’ is closed to new replies.