• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • House/council tax/utility bills question
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We’re interested in a house that’s basically one building but I’d laid out as a 2 bed with an extra one bed flat over the double garage, seperate entrances for each, but there’s no way you’d ever separate the two
    Currently the utility bills and council tax are separate for each ‘property’
    Is it possible to combine the two into one account and would that be an advantage? I.e. Cheaper? Obviously for the utilities there’s some wiring and plumbing involved I guess.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bugger, wrong forum sorry. 🙂

IHN

I assume it’d be cheaper bill-wise, as you’ll only pay one Council Tax bill and one set of standing charges for utilities.

Whether that would offset the cost of the plumbing/wiring to make it all happen, I dunno (probably would though over a few years, especially the Council Tax bit)

It’d need planning permission though I’d imagine.

Dickyboy

A friend changed a house that had been converted into two flats back into a single house & even that was a bugger of a job to get rated as single dwelling for council tax.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Fair enough. Thanks for the info.

jam-bo

probably find raising a mortgage harder too.

tjagain

Is it legally two dwellings? I know a chap who a few years ago bought a house that was split into flats so he could put it back ta a single house. He could not mortgage it untill he had physically made it back into one house – he had to use bridging loans

DT78
    Free Member

Having just bought a place with a converted garage / annex….

Are they registered as 2 separate properties with 2 separate deeds?

If so big pain in the ass to change.

If not when I looked into the council tax liability you can ask for a discount based on the fact you are using it for your own use, should be able to find out on the councils website. I was also told if you decommission the food preparation area it would no longer count as a separate dwelling for tax purposes. So basically disconnect and remove the oven (which isn’t used) in our case.

As for utilities, ours were combined on a single bill but had a seperate slave meter to be able to work out the elec usage in the annex and presumably charge it privately. Check that’s not the case.

It makes a fantastic turbo cave with ensuite shower 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘House/council tax/utility bills question’ is closed to new replies.