Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • House that 100k built GRRRRR!
  • robidoo
    Free Member

Just caught the last 10 mins, nobs the lot of em!

Tom-B
    Free Member

Watched the first bit of last weeks…when I learned that they couple had paid 100k for the land and were spending another 100k on the build I gave up!

kevj
    Free Member

I too felt compelled to post about this.

Bit if a sob story to begin with, but totally messed up by arty farty architects who insisted in doing things differently.

Differently is good if you have enough money to fund this, or have the skills to build yourself/ manage the build from experience.

That woman was very naive and listened to those architects only to have a house internally clad with OSB as a wall finish. I have an OSB board on my garage wall to hang tools from.

Good effort on achieving a weatherproof shelter for 50k, but at a personal cost imho.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    robidoo
    Free Member

I didn’t see the sob story, but the architects convincing her to have bare osb and bare blocks were talking bollox.
    Bet they wouldn’t have it in their own homes.

kevj
    Free Member

robidoo – Member
    I didn’t see the sob story

It was the first part where she had spent the majority of her life savings, only to have to knock it down. Must be a bit daunting for a person of a certain age with no experience of building.

Baldysquirt

I didn’t see it, but I quite like OSB as an internal finish. The clips I just looked at, though, do make it look somewhat unrelenting. Although Stealth Barn takes it to the limit.

We’ve just done a competition entry for a sub £50K family home design and a big part of that was to make elements do more than one thing. So we had OSB working as structural racking board (timber frame), air-tight barrier and internal finish. Although we balanced that with painted plasterboard internal partitions and ceilings. I personally would have preferred changing the OSB to ply, but that would have used 10% of our budget.

Now birch plywood interiors I do like…

kevj
    Free Member

Baldysquirt, an architect perchance?

EDIT: I have seen too many part built projects with visible OSB to feel that it is part of the fabric, just not the finishing element.

bigjim

Damn I missed this, is it worth watching again? I saw it mentioned in a newspaper article which also had this, which I think is amazing http://www.ruraldesign.co.uk/Kendram-Turf-House

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So go on then, how much can you self build a conventional house for?

matt_outandabout

^ I like birchply finish inside as well.

bigjim

oof you wouldn’t be having a quicky on the floor of that stealth barn would you!

Pieface

Re-instatement cost on a 3 bed extended semi is about £150k

matt_outandabout

So go on then, how much can you self build a conventional house for?

£1k/m2 give or take.

kevj
    Free Member

The show quoted £1,650/m^2 for another build. She had 1/3rd of that apparently.

righog
    Free Member

Baldy…I have been looking for that link for quite a while thanks.

I am all for any kind of alternative finishes, nowt wrong with OSB but for me it needs to finished with paint or varnish at least is it seems to suck up all the light and hang on to it, when it should be bounced around the room.

petrieboy

Surely OSB is 3x the price of plasterboard?

dlb1
    Free Member

dont know about them being nobs, i appreciate cladding the walls with osb will never be to everyones taste but i think what there trying to get at is the money you can save. only one trade required to fit the osb as apposed to a possible three trades for a trad plaster finish. allso as a joiner builders it gets a bit boring fitting/seeing house after house with the same 6″ skirting and 3″ arc. agreed some of the shows ideas are naff but the i get the concept.

@baldysquirt lots of knots in that “birchply”

MrSmith
    Free Member

That architect was a cretin, I felt sorry for the builder.

dlb1
    Free Member

[/quote]Surely OSB is 3x the price of plasterboard

someone to fit the pb some one to plaster someone to paint the plaster some one to fix the skirting, price per meter is the difference.

edlong
    Free Member

To be fair to the arty farty architects, they seemed to be as surprised as anyone that she chose OSB for pretty much every flat surface in the place, I don’t think that was quite what they had proposed. Fair play to the lady for making her own decisions and doing it how she wanted.

trevh
    Free Member

No sob story looks like bought without a survey to save few 100 quid. Otherwise there would have been recourse on the surveyor buyer beware.

CountZero

I watched it, and while I like the building, and would have used OSB as well, I’d have painted it to retain the texture, but to change the interior light. I’d have also tried to find old bricks, or slate roofing tiles to use on that chimney breast, rather than basic blocks. She seemed to be perfectly happy, and it’s still very sparse inside, but once she has more furnishings in, and decoration up, it’ll probably soften up.
    I don’t recall the architects persuading her to use bare blocks and OSB, but they were certainly trying to show her that, with some imagination, using basic materials, she could build something better than just a rectangular box, which she did, and was perfectly happy with. The architects themselves seemed extremely surprised at what she’d done, too.
    I loved those low-cost houses on Skye, though; I’d happily live in one of those, especially the ‘Hen House’, if that’s what it was called.

midlifecrashes

I think she might get a nice build when it’s done, but by the time she gets the cladding on it’ll be a big chunk over budget. So much OSB inside wouldn’t be to my taste, but it’d be practical enough with a bit of paint, and won’t preclude adding plaster or tiles later which would be a great way to stage the spend on a build to get a liveable home first and a finished one later. Her first design would have been fine though and would have gone up cheaper without all the grief. I wouldn’t want to be heading into winter with no cladding or render on.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Cost per square meter varies hugely based upon labour costs and finish (kitchen, bathroom, lighting etc). I live in South East and standard insurance rebuild is about £3k psqm which is in reality much too low. Professional fees (inc architect, planning etc) are 10-15% on top

TooTall
    Free Member

I’m a little concerned with the nasty stuff that goes in to making OSB and ply – fromaldehyde isn’t very good for domestic air quality really.

br
    Free Member

I didn’t see it, but I quite like OSB as an internal finish.

Eh 😯 For your house?

My Misses wouldn’t even have it for her Tack Room, so I lined it all with ply.

Also just because you use plasterboard it doesn’t mean it has to be plastered. Thick wallpaper (and paint if desired) works just as well and far cheaper and easily DIYable.

aP
    Free Member

When I see threads like this I’m always surprised at how narrow the tastes of the public are, and how little they like anything that doesn’t fit their preconceived ideas.

grahamg
    Free Member

Tom B – Member

Watched the first bit of last weeks…when I learned that they couple had paid 100k for the land and were spending another 100k on the build I gave up!

Didn’t watch it, but this sort of thing also boils my piss. Land prices are extortionate (in line with property prices), so to pretend that isn’t a huge factor in overall cost is frankly a little perverse. As I actually have cash in the bank with a view to buying a (probably tiny) plot of land, I try to avoid these kinds of programmes in case I start deluding myself that I can afford to do anything more than a timber-frame box.

mugsys_m8

Baldy. I’ve been watching your OSB work! Partly from my home office which has…..OSB look laminate flooring. I kid you not: It’s not OSB! I’ll bring some over to Sheffield for a certain project if you wish!

marcus7
    Free Member

I kind of liked it, and to be fair she could on it at later date without much hassle. I did laugh at the hen house though as it was a “grand design” house from a few years ago!

hora
    Free Member

I was confused how you can build a house for 100k – salaries of tradesmen working on site alone even pro-rata over say 9months-1yr add up to a big chunk on that 100k.

How much does a straight forward extension on a semi cost? 10k??

wwaswas

My Misses wouldn’t even have it for her Tack Room

Your wife has a room set aside for small nails?

I feel a lot better about my bike shed now 🙂

hooli

I was swearing at the telly too.

OSB board costs about £15 per sheet, plasterboard is £7 a sheet, add some tape, easifill and paint (another £40)it cant possibly be more expensive than OSB. Even with skiting and architrave.

It is also easier to hide blemishes as it gets filled and painted so it cant possibly cost any more to install in labour.

Not to mention OSB looks ***** on every single wall 😉

Rio

some tape, easifill and paint (another £40)it cant possibly be more expensive than OSB

She must have had a plasterer in anyway to do the ceilings, so I guess she could even have had plasterboard walls skimmed for very little extra. Wouldn’t have been so “architect-pleasing” though.

I was confused how you can build a house for 100k

Mrs R is addicted to these building/renovation programmes. She often tells me how people have renovated a whole house including new kitchen and bathrooms for £3K or built an extension for £5K. My take-away is never to believe the costs they claim in these programmes.

binners

The missus was viewing this unwatchable guff when I got back in from riding last night. In the brief few moments I could tolerate, I don’t think Tarquin and Sebastian threw their arms up and said that she’d ’embraced the space’ often enough.

What was disappointing was that I’d assumed such lowest common denominator, cliche-riddled claptrap was solely the preserve of More 4, or whoever was responsible for giving that hideous Kirsty bloody Alsopp the opportunity to spout on and on like a stuck recording of an elocution lesson, echoing down a drain

Depressingly, it appears BBC2 are now also scraping the concrete floor where the bottom of the barrel has worn through

MrNutt
    Free Member

100K? you could have bought a nice pair of speakers for that!

oliverd1981
    Free Member

someone to fit the pb some one to plaster someone to paint the plaster some one to fix the skirting, price per meter is the difference.

If you put up the plasterboard with no more nails you don’t have to do ANYTHING to it 🙂

On a more serious note – what type of leftover paint should you use on OSB? I need to brighten up the interior of the shed…

LenHankie
    Free Member

The point was to demonstrate to her that she didn’t HAVE to follow convention: Plasterboard, plaster, skirting, architrave etc. and could achieve a functional building and great – if not to everyone’s taste – look for far less money. Nothing to stop it being refinished at a later date once funds allowed, if she so wished.

The OSB looked great in the Isle of Skye house he showed her to demonstrate – balanced with the some painted plaster and the breeze blocks, I’d happily have those finishes and that look in my house…BUT, every single surface??! I think she missed the point….

..and none of them mentioned the doors! All that and then they stuck in some Barratt Homes specials that looked appalling.

br
    Free Member

Your wife has a room set aside for small nails?

I feel a lot better about my bike shed now

🙂

hooli

Anybody see this weeks episode?

They managed a lot for just over £100k, I did wonder how bad the old farmhouse could have been that £100k couldn’t have fixed.

At least it wasn’t all OSB board 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘House that 100k built GRRRRR!’ is closed to new replies.