Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • House selling fees
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

My mum’s solicitor and Est Agent wanting to charge 1% each…seems a little steep to me, your thoughts?

In Northern Ireland FWIW

chojin
    Free Member

1% is actually rather reasonable.

br
    Free Member

+vat?

EA is cheap even if added VAT, Solicitor is ballpark.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Solicitor should not charge based on a percentage, I am assuming this is you just translating it. Actual work done can vary a lot and thus so will the price.

Agent fee reasonable, many charge more

EDIT: as above plus VAT

hammerite
    Free Member

1.5% with EA when we had our house on the market. They took on the marketing at no cost to us, no sale no charge.

grum
    Free Member

Estate Agent fee is pretty standard I think, not sure about the solicitor.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers all – just needed a sense check.

I paid less selling in Scotland, and propery pre-dates REgistry, but that shouldn’t add to seller’s work.

glupton1976
    Free Member

You not allowed to do any of the work yourself?

martinhutch

Conveyancing cost shouldn’t be directly related to the value of the property being transferred.

EA, pretty standard rate, as others have said. Sole Agency?

onehundredthidiot

At least she’s not being robbed by the seller’s report scam.

mudshark
    Free Member

Solicitors, rather than dedicated conveyancers, often charge a %age for conveyancing.

cynic-al
    Free Member

glupton – no, Im neither Eng qualified nor currently practising, nor have I a clue about coveyancing.

There’s some energy efficiency report to do 🙁

onehundredthidiot

Scots system seems to favour the profit margins of surveyors even more than it used to.

Home sellers report, revaluation after 90 days, the a potential buyers one for the mortgage lender.

(I’ve spent £600 so far on surveyors reports)

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Al I’m in NI and selling my house. 1 percent is standard for EA. sol should be about 500 or so. My Mrs is a sol and that’s what she tells me.

Edit EPC is 55 quid

freeagent
    Free Member

EA in our village charges a fixed 1% of the final sale price to sell a house..

cheers_drive

I’m currently selling in England so may be different to ni but ea fees were £2k plus vat flat fee which is less than 1%. House type was in demand so knew they wouldn’t have to work hard to sell it – it sold in 2 weeks.
    £500 for solicitor selling fees so 1% sounds far too high.

spooky_b329

We are paying 1% to the estate agent, the solicitors fee is fixed amount, though I think it goes up as you sale price moves up through certain brackets.

Small hijack, just wondering that all these searches such as environmental, drainage etc that you normally get on your new house, are they all required to satisfy the mortgage lender, or do the solicitors just do a ‘standard’ package without asking if you want certain parts?

I wouldn’t demand the seller does the work, its you buying the house, and presumably yourself that has selected someone to do a damp survey, then you should be prepared to accept a discount. Its rare a seller will do any work on your behalf, especially if the survey was done by a damp firm, after all, they are far from independent/without bias!

druidh
    Free Member

I sold a house last year and all the offers were OK based on the Sellers Report – i.e. none of the lenders wanted another survey completed.

brakes
    Free Member

I paid 1.75% in that London, and that was discounted.
    Solicitor’s fees were linked to house price, but not a %age of, rather a fixed fee for a range of house prices.

onehundredthidiot

Druidh agree with you but apparently some lenders disagree

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘House selling fees’ is closed to new replies.