Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • House sale – FIPS – Disclosure of noise – minor dispute?
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

To keep it short:

1. small word in neighbours ~ years 3 years ago to keep noise down in kitchen late a night coz trying to sleep after they changed their habits after retiring – walls a bit thin (semi).

2. Now selling house and FIPS section asks for declaration.

3. Have been advised to declare it and say it was minor and was fully resolved (which it was).

Do you think this would put the buyers off?

highclimber
    Free Member

wouldn’t put me off. speaking as a prospective buyer but I can’t speak for others unfortunately.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Obviously not but cheers 🙂

wombat

I agree with Highclimber.

It appears to me that it is 1 relatively minor ocurrance several years ago that was sorted out by you speaking nicely to them.

This suggests to me that the neighbours are reasonable folks who perhaps didn’t realise they were a bit noisy and have changed their behaviour as a result of a reasonable conversation, almost makes it sound like a recommendation to me. 🙂

There are a few people on here would welcome neighbours like that.

z1ppy

1. small word in neighbours ~ years 3 years ago to keep noise down in kitchen late a night coz trying to sleep after they changed their habits after retiring – walls a bit thin (semi).

I always assumed FIPS declaration were for stuff that was serious or required some form of mediation, as in noise complaints. I didn’t even think to mention that I’d had a word once with my neightbour (flat above) about his radio being too loud @ midnight (he took it onboard and turned it down), when I sold my old place.
    Was I wrong?

midlifecrashes

Depends who had the small word with neighbours, if it was you, nothing to declare, if it was the council’s noise abatement team, declare.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Probably not – I guess its a very grey area. I think if its really that minor then I wouldn’t worry – Is only really if its a long standing issue or things are written down or as you say involve the council/police – I think we are probably being a bit too cautious but there you go 🙂

@Wombat – hadn’t thought about it like that – cheers 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t bother.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

It wouldn’t put me off, and it’s a good sign that neighbours are reasonable people.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cheers slowoldgit

Junkyard
    Free Member

wot everyone says no need to do it but if you do it sounds like your neighbours are reasonable folk and you are very honest neither of which would not put me off buying and may encourage me.

spooky_b329

I assumed it was just if you had complained officially.

We live in a terrace with paper thin party walls, we can hear light switches, coughing, the lot.

When asked directly the sellers said no problems with neighbours, just the usual occasional bumps through the wall as you’d expect with a terrace. On the day they moved out the wife slipped us a note with the details of the council noise abatement department…I think she was feeling guilty that her husband had lied.

Anyways, we must be more tolerant than them as although we can hear lots, its probably only once every six month that there is an issue with late night music etc, and we just ignore it so it doesn’t cause problems with the neighbours or potential buyers in the future.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think we are naturally a bit over cautious but as long as putting it would put the majority of people off I feel happier 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘House sale – FIPS – Disclosure of noise – minor dispute?’ is closed to new replies.